||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Notiomastodon. (Discuss) Proposed since May 2015.|
Temporal range: Pleistocene, 1.810–0.011 Ma
|Skull of Haplomastodon chimborazi|
It had two tusks on either side of a trunk like other members of Gomphotheriidae. Its apparent range was from Venezuela southward to Argentina where fossils were recovered in the Suelo Formation, a quarry dig in Corrientes Province. It may have shared its habit with Notiomastodon based on genus age and geography.
- †Haplomastodon guayasensis Hoffstetter 1952
- †Haplomastodon chimborazi Proaño 1922
- †Haplomastodon waringi Holland 1920
Haplomastodon was named by Hoffstetter (1950). It was assigned to Gomphotheriidae by Carroll (1988).
- Paleobiology database: Haplomastodon basic info
- B.B. Alvarez. 1974. Los Mamiferos Fosiles del Cuaternario de Arroyo Toropi, Corrientes (Argentina). Ameghiniana 11(3):295-311
- Ranzi, Alceu. Paleoecologia da Amazonia - Megafauna do Pleistoceno. Florianópolis,. Editora da UFSC, 2000.