Henry B. Plant High School
|Henry B. Plant High School|
Strength Through Unity
|2415 South Himes Avenue
Tampa, Florida, 33629
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Accreditation||Florida State Department of Education|
H.B. Plant High School is a public high school located in Tampa, Florida, United States. Its opening date was in 1927 on South Himes Avenue. The school is named in honor of railroad and hotel tycoon Henry B. Plant. The school mascot is the Panther. The school motto is "Strength Through Unity." Plant High School has an enrollment of more than 2,500 students.
US News and World Report ranked Plant High the 17th best public school in the Florida and 263rd nationally in 2015. The school has twice been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (1990 and 1997).
Florida Department of Education grade
Plant is one of only three schools in Hillsborough County to have earned an A grade from the Florida Department of Education in at least four of the last five years, along with Sickles, which received a B in 2011, and Newsome, which has five straight A grades.
- 2012 A
- 2011 A
- 2010 A
- 2009 B
- 2008 A
The athletic stadium is named Dad's Stadium, with the water tower in behind the stadium which reads, "Plant High School, Home Of State Champions" and hosts football, soccer and lacrosse games, track and field meets, and pep rallies.
The high school music program consists of an orchestra, a chorus and a marching band, a wind ensemble, a symphonic band and a jazz band. The Marching Panther Band is a combination of all these groups and performs at all football games and various community events.
Plant High School enjoys a fine tradition of community service, as shown by the seven service clubs (boys and girls) on campus. Students who are interested in joining are assigned to a random club and are "tapped" during homeroom. These clubs perform a variety of services to the community.
- Basketball (boys & girls)
- Cross Country
- Flag Football
- State Champions - 2006, 2008, 2009 & 2011
- Swimming and Diving
- State Champions - 1975, 1976 & 2006-2010
- Trey Azagthoth, founder and lead guitarist for Morbid Angel
- Wade Boggs, Hall of Fame baseball player
- Orson Charles, National Football League Tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Leo Gallagher, American comedian
- Sam Gibbons, United States congressman
- Mychal Givens, baseball player
- Richard King, 3 Time Academy Award Winner- Best Sound Editing
- Lane Lindell, represented America in Miss World 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Bobby Lord, country musician
- Aaron Murray, National Football League Quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
- Stephen Stills, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young musical group
- Preston Tucker, baseball player
- Dreama Walker, actress known for her role in Gossip Girl
- Mike Williams, National Football League Wide receiver
- James Wilder, Jr., National Football League Running back for the Cincinnati Bengals
- 2011-2012 Florida High School Grades | StateImpact Florida
- Orson Charles, TE for the Cincinnati Bengals at NFL.com
- "Former Plant standout Givens makes his pitch for the big leagues". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Mike Williams NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com