Henry B. Plant High School
|Henry B. Plant High School|
Strength Through Unity
|2415 South Himes Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33629
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Accreditation||Florida State Department of Education|
H.B. Plant High School is a public high school located in Tampa, Florida, United States. Its opening date was in 1927 on South Himes Avenue. The school is named in honor of railroad and hotel tycoon Henry B. Plant. The school mascot is the Panther. The school motto is "Strength Through Unity." Plant High School has an enrollment of more than 2,500 students.
US News and World Report ranked Plant High the 17th best public school in Florida and 263rd nationally in 2015. The school has twice been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (1990 and 1997).
Plant's 2012 graduation rate of 93% was ranked second in the Hillsborough County School District, compared to a statewide rate of 74.5% and a Hillsborough County rate of 72.6%.
Florida Department of Education grade
Plant is one of only three schools in Hillsborough County to have earned an A grade from the Florida Department of Education in at least five of the last eight years, along with Sickles, and Newsome, which has eight straight A grades.
- 2012 - A
- 2011 - A
- 2010 - A
- 2009 - B
- 2008 - A
The athletic stadium is named Dad's Stadium, and hosts football, soccer and lacrosse games, track and field meets, and pep rallies. The water tower behind the stadium reads, "Plant High School, Home of State Champions".
The high school music program consists of musical theater, an orchestra, five chorale groups, two a cappella groups and a marching band, a wind ensemble, a symphonic band and a jazz band. The Marching Panther Band is a combination of all these groups and performs at all football games and various community events.
Plant High School enjoys a tradition of community service, as shown by the seven service clubs (boys' and girls') on campus. Students who are interested in joining are assigned to a random club and are "tapped" during homeroom. These clubs perform a variety of services to the community.
Boys' service clubs:
Girls' service clubs:
- Trey Azagthoth, founder and lead guitarist for Morbid Angel
- Wade Boggs, Hall of Fame baseball player
- Gallagher, comedian
- Sam Gibbons, US congressman
- Mychal Givens, baseball player
- Richard King, three-time Academy Award winner for Best Sound Editing
- Lane Lindell, represented America in Miss World 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Bobby Lord, country musician
- Aaron Murray, NFL quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs
- Stephen Stills, member of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young musical group
- Preston Tucker, baseball player
- Dreama Walker, actress known for her role in Gossip Girl
- Mike Williams, NFL wide receiver
- James Wilder, Jr., NFL running back for the Buffalo Bills
- Eric Patterson, NFL cornerback for the Los Angeles Rams
- Orson Charles, NFL tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals
- Lyrics Born, rapper and producer
- 2011-2012 Florida High School Grades | StateImpact Florida
- "Former Plant standout Givens makes his pitch for the big leagues". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Mike Williams NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com
- Orson Charles, TE for the Cincinnati Bengals at NFL.com