Brandon High School (Brandon, Florida)
|Brandon High School|
|1101 Victoria Street
Brandon, Florida 33510
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||107.00 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.29|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White
The school originally opened in 1914 on the current site of McLane Middle School. In 1972, the school moved to its current location on Victoria Street in Brandon. The school colors are maroon and white. The school mascot is the Eagle. Brandon High is currently Pending school grade in SDHC's high school grading scale. The school has been awarded Blue Ribbon School status.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,957 students enrolled in 2012-2013 was:
- Male - 51.8%
- Female - 48.2%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.4%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 2.2%
- Black - 19.7%
- Hispanic - 30.0%
- White - 44.0%
- Multiracial - 3.7%
Additionally, 54.3% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
The Brandon wrestling team holds the national record for the longest winning streak (34 years, 459 wins) by a high school sports team. The streak came to an end on January 5, 2008, when Brandon was defeated by South Dade High School 32-28.
Brandon High boys won the state championship in 2003.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2015)|
Brandon High School nature preserve
This approximately 1.5-acre (6,100 m2) wooded site located on the south side of the campus was designated an official Schoolyard Habitat in 2006 by the National Wildlife Federation. Ecology students help collect animal and plant data annually using a variety of tools and technologies including Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) receivers and digital cameras.
They also construct nesting boxes for birds and roosting boxes for bats to help increase the biodiversity of the area. Many other classes use the area as an outdoor classroom, including art, English, performing arts, and technology.
- Scott Blake visual artist
- J. S. G. Boggs visual artist
- Terry Butler bassist for death metal acts Obituary, Death, Six Feet Under, and Massacre
- Chris Cates former professional baseball player.
- Rick Barrio Dill bass guitar player
- Chone Figgins former professional baseball player with the Seattle Mariners
- David Galloway former professional football player
- Franklin Gomez freestyle wrestler
- Joey Graham former professional basketball player
- Stevie Graham former professional basketball player
- Danny Graves former professional baseball player
- Garry Hancock former professional baseball player
- Toney Mack former professional basketball player
- Admiral Charles D. Michel, 30th Vice Commandant of the United States Coast Guard
- Mike Pucillo former professional football player with the Washington Redskins
- Jody Reed former professional baseball player
- Dwayne Schintzius former professional basketball player
- Ronda Storms, Florida state legislature
- Jeff Turner former professional basketball player
- "Administration". Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Brandon High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Brandon High School 2014 Grade". ledgerdata.com. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-26. Retrieved 2011-05-25.
- "Florida high school wrestling team's streak ends after 459 straight victories". ESPN.com. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Brandon native turns bar codes into works of art". Tampa Bay Online News. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- "Senior Coast Guard Leadership". Retrieved August 29, 2015.