||It has been suggested that this article be merged with The Orchard (company). (Discuss) Proposed since May 2014.|
|Industry||Music & entertainment|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, United States|
|Services||Digital distribution, marketing, technology, media encoding, metadata management|
|Parent||Sony Music Entertainment|
IODA (Independent Online Distribution Alliance) — now The Orchard — is a global sales, marketing and distribution company servicing independent artists, labels, filmmakers and other content providers on hundreds of digital and mobile outlets around the world.
Founded in 2003, IODA provides various distribution, marketing, publishing and administrative services to selected independent record labels, physical distributors, video companies, recording artists, filmmakers, print media publishers and independent authors, including license negotiations, media encoding and metadata management, royalty payment administration and reporting, and marketing and promotional support
On July 1, 2009, Sony Music Entertainment and IODA announced their global strategic partnership to leverage combined worldwide online retail distribution networks and complementary technologies to support independent labels and music rightsholders.
On March 5, 2012, Billboard reported that IODA and The Orchard were merging, with Sony Music Entertainment serving as a strategic investor in the combined entity. The report suggested that Sony, which already owned 51% of IODA, would accelerate the acquisition of the remainder of the company to complete the deal with the Orchard. The following day, IODA and The Orchard announced an agreement to combine their global digital distribution businesses in a merged company called The Orchard. Sony, which owns 50% of the new venture, has the option to buy the remainder of the merged company at a later date.
IODA affiliated labels
IODA is affiliated with more than 100 labels, including the following:
- ABB Records
- Alfa Matrix
- ATO Records
- Benchmark Recordings
- Broken Bow Records
- C3 Presents
- Cosmos Music Group
- Eclipse Records
- Eleven Seven Music
- Facedown Records
- Fat Wreck Chords
- Favored Nations
- Fearless Records
- Ghostly International
- Glassnote Records
- Illegal Art
- Kemado Records
- Lamon Records
- Manta Ray Records
- Metal Blade Records
- Planet Mu
- Platinum City Entertainment
- Startime International
- TBD Records
- The End Records
- 24 Hour Service Station
- Velvet Hammer
- IODA Promonet
- IODA Marketing
- Houghton, Bruce. "OFFICIAL: The Orchard & IODA Merge [More Details]". Hypebot.
- "Sony Music Entertainment and IODA Partner to Create Leading Digital Distribution and Services Network for Independent Rights Holders". Sony Music Entertainment.
- Adegoke, Yinka (July 1, 2009). "Sony Music, IODA Create Digital Network". Reuters News Agency. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- Christman, Ed (July 18, 2011). "What Exactly Is An Independent Label? Differing Definitions, Different Market Shares". Retrieved October 31, 2011.
- Christman, Ed (March 5, 2012). "Orchard, IODA Merging; Sony Music To Invest In New Company".
- Morris, Christopher (March 7, 2012). "Aggregators the Orchard, IODA merge". Variety.
- "IODA Nordic". Cosmos Music Group.
- "IODA Eclipse".