Indian Rupee (film)
|Directed by||Ranjith Balakrishnan|
|Produced by||Shaji Nadesan|
|Written by||Ranjith Balakrishnan|
|Music by||Shahabaz Aman|
|Edited by||Vijay Shankar|
|Distributed by||August Cinema|
Indian Rupee is a 2011 Indian Malayalam satirical film written and directed by Ranjith Balakrishnan, and produced by August Cinema. The film stars Prithviraj Sukumaran, Thilakan, Tini Tom and Jagathy Sreekumar in significant roles.
The film released on 6 October 2011, to a positive response from critics. It received numerous accolades including National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam and Kerala State Film Award for Best Film.
Indian Rupee is a satirical dig on making quick money without sweating it out and youth blindly follows on such examples. Jayaprakash or JP (Prithviraj Sukumaran) is a small-time real estate dealer based in Calicut, who dreams of making it big someday. JP is a school drop-out and in love with his cousin Beena (Rima Kallingal) who is a doctor, which is unknown to her parents. JP along with his partner CH (Tini Tom) is scouting for land deals. He is working under a senior agent Rajan(Mamukoya) but wishes to break free as soon as possible. He believes that his fortunes are up for a change, when Achutha Menon (Thilakan), an old widower approaches him to sell off his first son's land assets, the deal never happens. Achutha Menon stays with JP and CH, he became a part of their life. Things start happening in a fantastic way for JP, soon after. JP manages to earn a decent fortune after some smart moves and tricks, but he learns some valuable lessons by the end of the process. The person whom JP tried to cheat, "Golden" Pappan (Jagathy Sreekumar), helps him out in this. Jayaprakash later vows to make money from an honest day's work, instead of through tricky deals.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Jayaprakash/JP
- Thilakan as Adv.Achutha Menon
- Rima Kallingal as Dr.Beena
- Tini Tom as C. Hameed /CH
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Golden Pappan
- Lalu Alex as Surendran
- Kalpana as Mary
- Revathi as Dr. Sheela Koshy
- Mamukkoya as Rajan
- Biju Pappan as Joy
- Zeenath as Yashodha
- Mallika as Sajitha
- Arun V. Narayan as Satheeshan
- Irshad as Asharuf
- Suresh Krishna as Chandrashekhar Menon
- Shivaji Guruvayoor
- Babu Namboothiri
- Shammi Thilakan
- T. P. Madhavan
- Sasi Kalinga as Samuel
- Joju George- (Cameo Appearance)
- Asif Ali - (Cameo Appearance)
- Fahadh Faasil as Muneer (Cameo Appearance)
- Augustine- (Cameo Appearance)
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||23 August 2011|
All music is composed by Shahabaz Aman.
|1.||"Pokayayi"||V. R. Santhosh||G. Venugopal, Asha G. Menon||3:36|
|2.||"Anthimanam"||V. R. Santhosh||M. G. Sreekumar, Sujatha Mohan||4:10|
|3.||"Ee Puzhayum"||Mullanezhi||Vijay Yesudas||4:40|
|4.||"Ee Puzhayum" (unplugged)||Mullanezhi||Vijay Yesudas||4:24|
The audio release function was held at Puliyarmala Krishna Gowdar hall, Kalpetta, Wayanad on 23 August 2011. The song Ee Puzhayum Sandhyakalum from the film was the last song of the veteran poet-cum-lyricist Mullanezhi, who died soon after the film was released.
Deccan Chronicle said, "Touching a thriving social chord of life, Indian Rupee is a movie minus drama packed with the intricacies of life's realities." Rediff.com observed – "Indian Rupee should be seen by people who think that good stories have vanished from films. Ranjith has just told the story of contemporary Kerala society in a most interesting way." Nowrunning.com commented: "The details are downright gripping, the asides sparkling and the setups almost surreal, so much so that Indian Rupee hops straight into the year's must-see movies list and scrambles right up to the top". the site added that it is as easily one of the best performances from Prithviraj, and says that "Indian Rupee would as much be remembered for Prithviraj the actor, as the actor would be remembered for the film."
Sify.com wrote -"Though it is a bit too melodramatic and even preachy at times, Indian Rupee is easily one of the finest films of the year. It has honesty written all over it and such efforts need to be seen and appreciated by the audience."
The film has taken ₹2.5 crore as distributor's share from theatres.
- National Film Awards (2011)
- Kerala State Film Awards (2011)
- Best Supporting Actor - Malayalam - Thilakan
- Best Playback Singer (Male) - Malayalam - "Ee Puzhayum" - Vijay Yesudas
- "Indian Rupee Review". Sify.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee review: A movie sans drama". Deccanchronicle. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee Review". Nowrunning.com. 7 October 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2011.
- "Indian Rupee". Sify Moviebuzz.
- "2011 was troublesome for Malayalam films". New Delhi. IBN Live. 4 January 2012.
- "നക്ഷത്രങ്ങള് മണ്ണിലിറങ്ങി; ഉത്സവമായി ഏഷ്യാനെറ്റ് അവാര്ഡ് നിശ" Archived 9 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine. (in Malayalam). Mathrubhumi. 8 January 2012. Retrieved 8 January 2012.