Jones College Prep High School
|Jones College Prep High School|
700 S. State Street
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Paul J. Powers|
|Color(s)|| Navy Blue|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
William Jones College Preparatory High School (commonly known as Jones College Prep) is a public 4–year selective enrollment high school located in the Printer's Row neighborhood located in downtown Chicago, Illinois, United States. Jones is operated by the Chicago Public Schools district. Jones was named one of “America’s Best High Schools” for 2010 by Newsweek magazine.
The school was formerly known as Jones Metropolitan High School of Business and Commerce, Jones Commercial High School, and Jones Academic Magnet High School. Jones adopted its current name and focus on college preparatory education in August 1998.
Jones was established in 1938 as Jones Commercial High School when the Chicago Board of Education decided a school was needed to serve the downtown area of the city. The site chosen for the location was South State Street and West Harrison Street which housed a former elementary school. The old building was later demolished and replaced by a modern six-story structure in 1966. In addition to being a high school, Jones had two-year program which offered a wide range of skilled office work.
During the 1981–1982 school year, the school was renamed Jones Metropolitan High School of Business and Commerce due to becoming apart of the Chicago Public Schools "Options for Knowledge" program. By the 1997–1998 academic year, Jones' business and commerce program was phased out; becoming a college preparatory school. For the 2001–2002 school year, Jones was temporarily located at Near North Career Metro High School building while the Jones' building underwent renovation. Jones new building opened for the 2013–2014 school year. The new building was merged with the existing Jones building to increase capacity.
Awards and recognition
In 2007, Jones College Prep was awarded a Gold Medal from U.S. News & World Report in their issue of the top 100 high schools in the nation based on college readiness, and in 2006 received the Blue Ribbon award from the Department of Education. Jones was recognized as one of “America’s Best High Schools” by U.S. News & World Report and was ranked in the top 100 high schools in 2010. Jones ranked in the “Top 10” among Illinois public high schools on the PSAE state assessment (2008 and 2009). As of 2019, Jones College Prep was ranked 91st in the Best High Schools ranking.
Jones competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA).In 2012, Jones' boys cross country team won the IHSA 2A state title. From 2001 until 2014, Jones used the former Near North High School building located at 1450 N. Larrabee Avenue for its athletics program.
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Institution Summary for William Jones College Preparatory High School". AdvancED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- History Archived 2013-04-07 at the Wayback Machine. Jones College Prep.
- A Contest Without Winners - How Students Experience Competitive School Choice - By Kate Phillippo · 2019
- Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News
- Jones College Prep Archived 2011-09-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "Jones College Prep High School". Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- IHSA Chicago(Jones)
- Boys state cross-country | York, Jones take team titles
- Jones College Prep: Athletics Archived 2012-09-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "CMJ 2012 Artist Q&A: Chance The Rapper". Archived from the original on 2012-10-25. Retrieved 2013-05-03.