Sir Robert Keith O'Nions
|Alma mater||University of Nottingham|
University of Alberta
|Awards||Bigsby Medal (1983)|
Holmes Medal (1995)
Lyell Medal (1995)
Knight Bachelor (1999)
Urey Medal (2001)
|Institutions||University of Alberta|
University of Oslo
University of Oxford
Imperial College London
University of Cambridge
|Thesis||Geochronology of the Bamble sector of the Baltic Shield, South Norway (1969)|
|Doctoral advisor||Roger D. Morton|
Sir Robert Keith O'Nions FRS Hon.FREng (born 26 September 1944), is a British scientist and ex-President & Rector of Imperial College London. He is the former director general of the research councils as well as Professor of the Physics and Chemistry of Minerals and was head of the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Oxford.
He attended Yardley Grammar School in Birmingham. He studied geology as an undergraduate at the University of Nottingham, receiving a PhD at the University of Alberta before taking up a postdoctoral position at the University of Oslo.
He taught geochemistry at the University of Oxford from 1971 to 1972, when he became a professor of geology at Columbia University, a post he held until 1986 when he became a Royal Society Research Professor at the University of Cambridge. He remained there until 1995, when he returned to Oxford to take up the professorship.
He was knighted in 1999, and from 2000 to 2004 he was Chief Scientific Adviser to the Ministry of Defence. After a period as director-general of the research council (United Kingdom)s, he was appointed to lead the newly formed Institute for Security Science and Technology at Imperial College, London in July 2008.
On 1 January 2010, following the resignation of Sir Roy Anderson, he became the acting Rector of Imperial College London, in July 2010 he was appointed to a full term as Rector, to run until 2013.
In 1967 he married Bill Rita with whom he has had three daughters.
- "List of Fellows".
- The International Who's Who 2004. Routledge. 2003. p. 1257. ISBN 1-85743-217-7.
- Professor Sir Keith O'Nions FRS, Imperial College, London, UK.
- Sir Keith O'Nions appointed Director of new security research institute at Imperial College, News and Events, Imperial College, London, 22 July 2008.
- Sir Keith O’Nions appointed Rector of Imperial College London, News release, Imperial College, 9 July 2010.
- "HW Minutes 2004" (PDF).
- "Gruppe 3: Geofag" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- "New board created for the British Geological Survey" (PDF). Retrieved 18 April 2019.
| Rector of Imperial College London
2010 – present