|Alma mater||Princeton University (Ph.D) (1971)|
University of Bucharest
|Awards||Berwick Prize (1977)|
Cole Prize (1985)
Leroy P. Steele Prize (2008)
Shaw Prize (2014)
|Institutions||University of Warwick|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Doctoral advisor||Michael Atiyah|
|Doctoral students||Corrado de Concini|
George Lusztig (born Gheorghe Lusztig, May 20, 1946) is a Romanian-American mathematician and Abdun Nur Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He was a Norbert Wiener Professor with the Department of Mathematics from 1999 to 2009.
Education and career
Born in Timişoara, he did his undergraduate studies at the University of Bucharest. He left Romania for the United States, where he went to work for two years with Michael Atiyah at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. His early work was on the index theory of elliptic operators, which was the topic of his 1971 doctorate at Princeton University, under the direction of William Browder and Michael Atiyah.
Lusztig worked for almost seven years at the University of Warwick. His involvement at the university encompassed a Research Fellowship, (1971–72); lecturer in Mathematics, (1972–74); and Professor of Mathematics, (1974–78). In 1978, he accepted a chair at MIT.
He is known for his work on representation theory, in particular for the objects closely related to algebraic groups, such as finite reductive groups, Hecke algebras, -adic groups, quantum groups, and Weyl groups. This has included fundamental new concepts, including the character sheaves, the Deligne–Lusztig varieties, and the Kazhdan–Lusztig polynomials.
Awards and honors
In 1983, Lusztig was elected as a fellow of the Royal Society. In 1985 Lusztig won the Cole Prize (Algebra). He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1992, received the Brouwer Medal in 1999 and received the Leroy P. Steele Prize for Lifetime Achievement in Mathematics in 2008. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. In 2014 he received the Shaw Prize in Mathematics.
- George Lusztig at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "George Lusztig Abdun-Nur Professor of Mathematics". MIT Mathematics Department. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "George Lusztig". The GAP Group. Archived from the original on 21 December 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- Carter, Roger W., A survey of the work of George Lusztig, Nagoya Mathematical Journal 182 (2006), pp. 1–45.
- "George Lusztig". MIT Mathematics. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-02.