Kim Dong-wan on May 2015.
|Native name||김동완 (金烔完)|
|Born||21 November 1979|
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Dong-wan|
Kim Dong-wan (hangul: 김동완; born 21 November 1979) is a South Korean entertainer, known as a member of South Korean boy band Shinhwa. He has been acting since 2002, with roles in television dramas such as A Farewell to Sorrow and Children of Heaven. He has said that given the opportunity he would prefer a career in acting rather than as a singer, However, since the release of his debut album, he has stated that now he prefers singing more. From Shinhwa, Kim is the fourth member to go solo, following Lee Min-woo, Shin Hye-sung, and Jun Jin.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
1998: Debut with Shinhwa
Kim made his debut in 1998 as a vocalist in the boy band Shinhwa. Although he is not lead vocalist, he began singing bigger parts on Shinhwa's 7th album, Brand New. One song from the album, "Liar", actually only has Kim as the vocalist, along with Eric Mun as the rapper. He also wrote, composed, and arranged a song on the album, titled "Set Free". Though he had branched out as a solo artist, he is part of Shinhwa and just released Shinhwa's 9th album.
On April 16, 2007, Kim appeared as a guest on MC Mong's "Pleasure and Pain" radio show. When asked about an incident early in his career where he injured his nose, he confessed that he in fact had plastic surgery to change its shape.
2007: Solo debut
Kim released his debut solo album, Kimdongwan Is, on July 5, 2007, which featured collaborations with his fellow Shinhwa members, including Lee Andy rapping in the song "Loving Summer", Shin Hye Sung singing a duet with Kim in "The One Left Alone", and Eric rapping in "My Love". The other members have contribute to the album as well, with Lee Min Woo writing, composing and arranging the song "My Love," and with Jun Jin helping him with choreography. Kim expressed gratitude for their contributions, saying, "I’ve been working together with the group Shinhwa, thus there was a lot of pressure working on the solo album, but since the other members showed up and helped me with most of it, it has been a great big help for me". Kim's first single was the ballad, "Handkerchief", a song about a guy who consoles his girlfriend and wipes away her tears. Despite Shinhwa's genre in music like American R&B and bubblegum pop, Kim said he wanted his album to be more J-pop influenced, having redone a song by Glay and Exile in the album.
For the debut album, Kim also lost a lot of weight, saying that "it's not good for a ballad singer to have a muscular image. Someone singing ballads should have a lean, 'hungry-looking' image." His album sold over 25,000 copies in two days, with 41,490 copies sold by the end of 2007, allowing it to rank 19th for the year. In 2008, he released his 2nd solo album, The Secret; Between Us. The album featured collaborations with Tiffany of SNSD, Jade Valerie, Shinhwa bandmate, Eric and Heritage.
2008-2011: Military service and musical
Kim enlisted for mandatory military service in November 2008, at an army training camp in Gongju, Chungcheongnam-do He was discharged on 17 December 2010, after serving 24 months as an administrative worker at the Seodaemun-gu District Office.
Upon being discharged Kim joined Shinhwa bandmate Shin Hye-sung at Liveworks Company and has since played the lead role of Hedwig in theatrical musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch at Sang Sang Art Hall in Seoul. In August 2011, Kim played the role of Korean independence activist, Lee Youk-sa in MBC two-part special drama, The Peak, also known as Life of Lee Youk-Sa, the Poet who Embraced Epoch. It was broadcast on Korea's Liberation Day, 15 August 2011. Lee Youk-sa was a poet, during Japanese Colonial Period, who died in prison at the age of 40, leaving a collection of some 40 works of poetry.
2012: Shinhwa comeback and acting
In March 2012, Kim reunited with his Shinhwa bandmates for their comeback after four years, under the management of 'Shinhwa Company'. It is a joint venture agency for members to perform as a group, of which Eric and Lee Min-woo are co-CEOs and the remaining members are shareholders. The Company manages the group as a whole, whilst members' individual activities are managed by their respective agencies. The group released their tenth studio album The Return on 23 March 2012, launched their comeback concerts 2012 Shinhwa Grand Tour: The Return throughout Asia and their first exclusive variety program Shinhwa Broadcast premiered on 17 March 2012 on cable channel JTBC.
In July, Kim co-starred with Kim Myung-min and Lee Ha-nui in thriller Deranged as Jae-pil, a detective agonized with guilt for squandering his brother's money, in the stock market. In August, Kim was cast as the title role of Kim Tae-pyung in KBS's daily drama, Cheer Up, Mr. Kim!, about a male domestic cleaner and housekeeper, the guardian of three, later four,children none of which are his own. The series premiered in November and marked Kim's first television drama since Good Bye, Sadness in 2005. At the 2012 KBS Drama Awards, Kim received the Best Actor in Daily Drama award for his portrayal of Mr Kim.
2015: Donation to Nepal
|The Secret Between Us||2|
|Japan Premium Best||
|"My Summer Girl"||-||109|
|"He_Starlight" (Feat. Jeon So-min||
| 약속: 첫번째 라이브 콘서트
Promise: The First Live Concert
- 2001 – Nonstop
- 2002 – Children of Heaven KBS
- 2005 – "Magic Power Alcohol" – MBC Best Theater (Episode #610)
- 2005 – Beating Heart
- 2005 – A Farewell to Sorrow, aka A Farewell to Tears or Goodbye Sadness KBS
- 2007 – The One I Love, aka The Person That I Love or I Will Not Love
- 2011 – The Peak (aka Life of Lee Yuksa, the Poet who Embraced Epoch)
- 2012 – Cheer Up, Mr. Kim! (KBS)
- 2016 - Moorim School: Saga of the Brave (Episodes 10 & 11)
- 2017 - Drama Stage – The Picnic Day (tvN one-act drama)
- 2002 – Emergency Act 19 – cameo with Shinhwa
- 2004 – Spin Kick, aka Taekwon Boys
- 2012 – Deranged - as Jae-pil, an investigator and younger brother of Jae-hyuk, played by Kim Myung-min
- 2015 – Springtime Fantasy
- 2015 – Glory Day
- 2015 – The Megalomaniac
- 2003 Yoon Do-Hyun's Love Letter “Lately” – KBS
- 2004 Yoon Do-Hyun's Love Letter “Cigarette Shop Girl” – KBS
- 2005 Public Relations – Officer of JeonJu International Film Festival
- 2005 Love Letter (ep 1 to 14) – SBS
- 2005 X-Man – SBS]
- 2006 Heroine 6
- 2006 New X-Man – SBS
- 2015 I Live Alone (ep 99 - 150) - MBC
- 2015 King of Mask Singer Contestant with the stage name "Holding the End of the Night" (Episode 29-30) - MBC
- 2000–2002: DJ for Ten Ten Club
- 2003–2005: Host for SBS Inkigayo
- 2006: Host for SBS I Love My Teacher Day Concert
Awards and nominations
|2004||25th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actor||Spin Kick||Nominated|
|2005||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||A Farewell to Sorrow||Won|
|2007||SBS Inkigayo||Mutizen Award||Handkerchief||Won|
|Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Ballad Performance||Nominated|||
|2012||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor in a Daily Drama||Cheer Up, Mr. Kim!||Won|||
|2013||49th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actor (Film)||Deranged||Won|||
|6th Korea Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actor||Cheer Up, Mr. Kim!||Won|
|2015||SBS MTV The Show||The Show Choice winners||I'm Fine||Won|
|2015||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Variety Show||I Live Alone||Won|
- "Shinhwa’s Kim Dong Wan to Star in KBS Series" KBS Global. 8 June 2005. Retrieved 2006-12-13.
- "[Interview - Part I] Kim Dong Wan Wants to be a Real Actor". Mnet Global. July 8, 2012.
- "Way Back Wednesday: Shinhwa". allkpop.com. April 5, 2012.
- "김동완 '노래 있어 연기도 가능했다..가수는 내 고향'" Star News. 4 July 2007. Retrieved 2011-11-08 (in Korean)
- Korean Stars Praised for Generosity in Japan. KBS Global, August 14, 2006. Retrieved on December 13, 2006.
- "Kim Dong-wan’s Surprising Plastic Surgery Confession", KBS World, April 16, 2007. Retrieved on May 5, 2007.
- "김동완 '솔로 준비에 앤디가 가장 반대'" Star News. 1 July 2007. Retrieved 2011-11-08 (in Korean)
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A (2006-06-21). "Shinhwa Members Go Solo This Summer". The Korea Times. Archived from the original on 2007-06-28. Retrieved 2007-06-21.
- "2007 Year-end Sales". Recording Industry Association of Korea. 2006-07-18. Archived from the original on 2008-05-08. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Boot camp beckons for boy band balladeer" Joongang Daily. 19 November 2008. Retrieved 2011-11-08
- "Shinhwa singer discharged" Joongang Daily. 9 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-11-08
- "Shinhwa Form Their Own Agency" Chosun Ilbo. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-05
- 신화, 섬뜩한 뱀파이어 변신…23일 10집 발매. Nate News (in Korean). 17 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Shinhwa to release upcoming 10th album on March 23". 10 Asia. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- Hong, Lucia (1 February 2012). "Shinhwa releases teaser video for upcoming concert". 10 Asia. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Suk, Monica (26 March 2012). "CONCERT REVIEW: Shinhwa: Reborn with The Return". 10 Asia. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Park, HyunMin (4 March 2012). "Shinhwa to have Shinhwa Broadcast". Mnet News. CJ E&M. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- Chung, Hyun-mok (16 July 2012). "Kim Dong-wan sees great success at box office". Joongang Daily. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Oh, MiJung (20 June 2012). "Kim Dong Wan Opens Up on ′Deranged′, Shinhwa and Kim Myung Min". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (27 August 2012). "Shinhwa's Kim Dong Wan Chosen as Main Lead for Cheer Up, Mr. Kim". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Jun, Ji Young (2 January 2013). "2012 KBS Drama Awards". KBS Global. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- "Shinhwa's Dongwan Has Donated $33,660 Towards Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund". Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- "김동완 1집 - Kimdongwan Is". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "김동완 1집 - Kimdongwan Is[repack.]". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- 2007.총결산 판매량. Recording Industry Association Korea (in Korean). Archived from the original on 16 December 2008. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "2007. 7 월 - 가요음반 판매량". Recording Industry Association Korea (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2 May 2009. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "김동완 2집 - The Secret". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "김동완 2집 - The Secret: Between Us Part Ii[repack.]". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "2008. 5 월 - 가요음반 판매량". Recording Industry Association Korea (in Korean). Archived from the original on 12 November 2008. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Shinhwa's Kim Dong Wan Makes Solo Comeback With "I'm Fine" MV". Soompi. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- "국내 대표 음악 차트 가온차트!". gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "KIM DONGWAN JAPAN PREMIUM BEST(初回限定盤)". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- 김동완 - 약속. Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "My Summer Girl(初回限定盤)". Oricon (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "My Summer Girl". Oricon (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "My Summer Girl(初回限定盤)". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "김동완 - He". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "김동완 - He_starlight". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "김동완 - 약속: 첫번째 라이브 콘서트(SRN)[사진집 포함]". Hanteo (in Korean). Archived from the original on 26 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- Suk, Gee-hyun (12 June 2013). "Top 7 successful idol-turned-actors". Korea Herald. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Hee, Sul-hee (21 August 2017). "김동완 측 "tvN 단막극 '소풍 가는 날' 출연 확정"". My Daily (in Korean).
- Kim, Gab-Sik (21 July 2004). ""Don't Underestimate Third-Rate": Overturning Life with a Spin Kick". Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- Ho, Stewart (14 June 2012). "Shinhwa's Kim Dong Wan Transforms Into an Investigator for Upcoming Movie". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "2007 Mnet KM Music Festival Part1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-12-14.
- An, So Hyoun (10 May 2013). "Yoo Jae Suk and Ryu Seung Ryong Take Home Daesangs at the Paeksang Arts Awards". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- Lee, Hye Ji (10 May 2013). "2013 Paeksang Arts Awards: He Said, She Said". 10 Asia. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Dong-wan.|
- Shinhwa Company official website (in Korean)