|Length:||17 km (11 mi)|
|Existed:||1980s – present|
The Kochi Bypass is a bypass segment of NH 66 that bypasses the CBD of the city of Kochi in Kerala, India. The highway stretches 17 km from Edapally in the north to Aroor in Alappuzha district in the south, via. Palarivattom, Vyttila, kundannoor, Maradu. The Government of Kerala began the preliminary works in 1973. After a slow progress, it was partially opened for traffic in the beginning years of the 1980s. The section between Edapally and Vyttila had four lanes from the beginning. The rest of the carriageway was also upgraded to 4 lanes and 6 lanes in 2010
The idea was to bypass the truck traffic out of the city proper. However now the city has outgrown the bypass leading to a heavy suburban traffic. Today, this road has turned out to be the most important arterial road in Kochi. The spacious road is going to replace the MG Road as the state's major commercial avenue in a few years time. Space crunch has really started to take toll on the MG Road, and the NH Bypass provides answer to all the problems faced by the former. Bypass Road has enough width to accommodate an 8 lane carriageway, service roads and a median. This 17-km stretch of road running across the city has become the hub of business for the city. This road Edapally - Aroor bypass is expected to slowly overtake MG road as the commercial hotspot of Kochi City and also Kerala state.
- Edappally Junction (Towards Mumbai through NH 66 and Coimbatore through NH544)
- Palarivattom Junction (Towards Infopark and District Headquarters)
- Vytilla Junction (Towards Kottayam and S.A Road)
- Kundannur Junction (Towards Munnar(NH49) and Cochin Port)
- Aroor Junction (Towards Alleppey and Edakochi)
- Lulu Cochin Mall (Largest Mall in India)
- Oberon Mall
- Nippon Infra
- Gold Souk Grande Kochi
- Forum Thomsun Mall.
- Unitech Great India Place
- Center Square Mall
- Abad Nucleus Mall
- Holiday Inn
- Crowne Plaza
- Hotel White Fort
- Le Meridian
- Harley Davidson
- Range Rover
- Isuzu Motors
- Triumph Motorcycles Ltd
- Land Rover
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kochi Bypass.|
- Kerala Legislature (1974). Proceedings of the Kerala Legislative Assembly Eighth Session, 1973. Govt of Kerala. p. 2023.
- "Four-lane bypass along NH to be ready soon". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2010-11-13. Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- Snyder, Michael (May 2013). "Kochi: Seeding a City" (PDF). AD Perspective. Archived (PDF) from the original on 17 June 2016. Retrieved 17 June 2016.