National University of Advanced Legal Studies
|Type||National Law University|
|Chancellor||Chief Justice of High Court of Kerala|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) K.C. Sunny|
NAD Rd, HMT Colony, North Kalamassery, Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala 683503,
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS) is a public law school and a National Law University located in Kochi, India. It was the first National Law University established in the State of Kerala. It is one of 23 NLUs in India. Admissions to the university are done on the basis of the Common Law Admission Test.
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies was established by a statute passed by the Legislative Assembly of the State of Kerala in 2005. The day-to-day management and administration of the university is undertaken by the Vice-Chancellor. Prof. (Dr.) K.C. Sunny is the current Vice-Chancellor of the university.
The NUALS Act of 2005 merged the erstwhile National Institute for Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS), earlier established and managed by the Bar Council of Kerala and Bar Council of Kerala Trust. NUALS was inaugurated by Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan on 7 January 2006. The University was located in Kochi since it was the seat of the High Court of Kerala and Lakshadweep.
Since February 2020, seven sitting judges of the High Court of Kerala have been appointed as adjunct professors at NUALS.
Online Classes and Response to COVID-19
NUALS has announced a temporary move to online classes from 1 July 2020 as part of its response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The university has announced that preparations had been made for the shift, including over 150 prerecorded online lectures, including from High Court judges, advocates, and other guest faculty. The university also responded by revamping its internal email servers to improve communication and information flow.  Additionally, the Vice-Chancellor announced that viva-voce for LLB programmes, open defences for PhDs, and LLM Examinations would be conducted online.
The University campus is spread over a 10 acre compound, located in Kalamaserry. The campus has a basketball court, a football field, a volleyball court, two badminton courts, two gyms, and a variety of indoor games.
The NUALS Library has over 13,000 books, making it one of the largest law libraries in Kerala, including extensive collections donated by eminent personalities including Justice VR Krishna Iyer, who donated his entire private library. The library also includes extensive online resources including WestLaw, Kluwer, HeinOnline and Manupatra Online.
The University hosts the annual NUALS Parliamentary Debate (NPD) competition that follows the British Parliamentary Style. As of 2020, it had completed six editions. The NPD is organised by the NUALS Debating Society (DebSoc).
NUALS International Maritime Law Arbitration Competition
At its inception in 2014, the NUALS International Maritime Law Arbitration Competition (NIMLAC) was the first maritime law moot in India.
In 2019, a team from NUALS finished as Runners-Up at the NLS Trilegal International Arbitration Moot, 2019. In 2019, NUALS emerged as semi-finalists at the World Rounds of the 23rd Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition. In 2020, NUALS won the World Rounds of the 24th Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition. In addition, the NUALS team won awards for Best Memorial, in addition to an individual speaker citation for 2nd Best Oralist.
In 2019, NUALS finished as Runners-Up at the NHRC-GNLU National Moot Court Competition, 2019. In 2019, NUALS won the 1st JGLS Antitrust Law Moot Court Competition conducted by Jindal Global Law School and Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. In 2020, NUALS won the 8th RMLNLU-SCC Online International Media Law Moot Court Competition, 2020.
- The National University of Advanced Legal Studies Act, 2005
- "NUALS gets new Vice-Chancellor". The New Indian Express. 16 January 2019.
- "NUALS dedicated to nation". 8 January 2006 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "NUALS to have a new campus". 18 March 2010 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "High Court sitting judges to teach NUALS students". The New Indian Express. 26 February 2020.
- "Regular Online Classes for BA LLB students at NUALS from July 1". Times of India. 29 June 2020.
- "Varsities making gradual shift to online mode". The New Indian Express. 23 June 2020.
- "Padavukal, Career Guidance Epi-18 National School of advanced legal studies-Part-". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2 July 2020.
- www.nuals.ac.in http://www.nuals.ac.in/LIBRARY.aspx. Retrieved 2 July 2020. Missing or empty
- Post, Guest (17 April 2016). "Know This Law School: NUALS". iPleaders. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- Karki, Aprajita. "NUALS Parliamentary Debate [Feb 28-March 1, Kochi]: Register by March 1". Lawctopus.
- "NUALS International Maritime Law Arbitration Competition". NUALS.
- "NUALS team finishes as semi-finalists at Stetson Moot World Rounds". SCCOnline. 17 April 2019.
- Dinu, Suzann (6 April 2020). "NUALS wins World Rounds of 24th Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition 2020". SCCOnline.
- "NUALS wins 24th Stetson International Environment Law Moot Court Competition, bags Best Memorial prize". Bar and Bench. 5 April 2020.
- "Live Blog: NHRC-GNLU National Moot Court Competition, 26th-29th September 2019". SCCOnline. 26 September 2019.
- "NUALS wins 1st JGLS Antitrust Law Moot Court Competition". SCCOnline. 12 September 2019.
- "NUALS wins 8th RMLNLU-SCC Online International Media Law Moot Court Competition 2020". SCCOnline. 16 March 2020.