List of terrorist incidents, 1989
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
This is a timeline of incidents in 1989 that have been labelled as "terrorism" and are not believed to have been carried out by a government or its forces (see state terrorism and state-sponsored terrorism).
- February 20: Two IRA bombs go off at an army barracks at Tern Hill in Shropshire. No-one was hurt.
- April 30: A bomb were about to explode in an immigrant shop in Oslo, consisting of 1.5 kg dynamite, but Police cut the cord just before it went off. Right-wing extremists were suspected.
- May 24: Assassinations of Elders Jeffrey Brent Ball and Todd Ray Wilson, LDS Missionaries serving in La Paz, Bolivia
- May 30: A bomb kills four and injures 37 on an assassination attempt against Miguel Maza Márquez head of the Colombian Secret Service.
- July 5: A car bomb kills six, including the governor of Antioquia, Antonio Roldan Betancur. No claim is made for the attack.
- August 18: The Medellín Cartel declares "total and absolute war" against the Colombian government. The offices of the two main political parties were bombed and the homes of two local politicians were burned.
- August 31: A bomb in a bicycle cart injures 13 in Medellín.
- September 4: An unidentified man opens fire at the Medellín airport, killing one and wounding 14, before being gunned down by the police.
- September 18: Three bombs explode in Cali killing one person.
- September 25: A bomb kills two and injures one at the Hilton hotel in Cartagena.
- September 28: A bomb kills two at a suburban gas station in Bogotá. The dead are believed to be terrorists.
- September 29: A bomb injures one at the parking garage of the Intercontinental Hotel in Bogotá. The attack was blamed on the Medellín Cartel.
- October 8: A fire bomb kills seven and injures seven in a bus in Bogotá. The action is blamed on the Medellín Cartel.
- October 16: A car bomb against the Vanguardia Liberal newspaper kills four in Bucaramanga.
- October 18: A bomb explodes prematurely outside the Colombian Congress, injuring one.
- October 21: A car bomb in front of a hotel in Barranquilla leaves six injured.
- November 30: The bomb assassination and murder of banker Alfred Herrhausen in Bad Homburg vor der Höhe. The Red Army Fraction was behind the attack.
- December 6: A truck bomb at the DAS headquarters kills 52 people and injures over a thousand. The Medellín Cartel was responsible.
- 1989: IRA bombs Tern Hill barracks
- The Washington Post, May 31, 1989
- NYT: Bomb kills 6 in Colombia, July 5, 1989
- The Philadelphia Inquirer, August 25, 1989, Page A01
- The Charlotte Observer, September 1, 1989, Page3A
- The Dallas Morning News, September 5, 1989
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, September 18, 1989, Page 8A
- Chicago Sun-Times, September 26, 1989, Page 2A
- San Jose Mercury News, September 28, 1989, Page 15A
- The Charlotte Observer, September 30, 1989, Page 7A
- Lexington Herald-Reader, October 9, 1989, Page A22
- Dallas Morning News, October 17, 1989
- Washington Post, October 19, 1989, A Section
- St Louis Post Dispatch, October 21, 1989, Page 10A