List of things named after Barack Obama
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a list of things named after Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States. This list includes proposed name changes.
- Aptostichus barackobamai, a species of wafer trapdoor spiders
- Baracktrema obamai, a blood fluke found in Malaysian turtles
- Desmopachria barackobamai, a diving beetle from French Guiana
- Etheostoma obama, a darter species
- Lasioglossum obamai, a Cuban bee
- Nystalus obamai (Western striolated puffbird), a bird from the Amazon
- Obamadon gracilis, an extinct lizard
- Paragordius obamai, a parasitic worm from phylum Nematomorpha
- Placida barackobamai, a sea slug
- Spintharus barackobamai, a Cuban spider
- Teleogramma obamaorum, a cichlid, honoring Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama
- Tosanoides obama, a fish discovered in the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument
- Obamus coronatus, an Ediacaran organism
- Barack Obama, a horse which competed in endurance games
- Barack Obama Charter School – Compton, California – Qued Charter Elementary School renamed after Barack Obama in January 2009
- Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy – Los Angeles – Built in mid 2010
- Barack Obama Academy – Oakland, California – Alternative Learning Community renamed after Barack Obama in March 2009
- Barack H. Obama Magnet University School – New Haven, Connecticut – Connecticut school to be named after former President Obama
- Barack H. Obama Elementary Magnet School of Technology – Atlanta, Georgia – Opened in January 2017
- Barack and Michelle Obama Academy – Atlanta, Georgia – Renamed in November 2016
- Barack Obama School of Leadership and STEM – Chicago Heights, Illinois
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Westphalia, Maryland, near Upper Marlboro – Prince George's County Public Schools - Named after Barack Obama in June 2009 while under construction
- Barack Obama Leadership Academy – Detroit, Michigan – Timbuktu Academy, which has been open since 1997, will become Barack Obama Leadership Academy
- Barack Obama International Baccalaureate Elementary School – Jackson, Mississippi – Renamed as of October 2017, from Jefferson Davis, the Confederacy's only president
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Pine Lawn, Missouri – dedicated as Barack Obama Elementary School in August 2011.
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Asbury Park, New Jersey – Asbury Park Public Schools – Formerly Bangs Avenue Elementary School
- Barack Obama Academy – Plainfield, New Jersey – Plainfield Academy for Academic & Civic Development renamed to Barack Obama Academy
- Barack Obama Green Charter High School – Plainfield, New Jersey – Charter high school opened in September 2010
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Jersey City, New Jersey - Jersey City Public Schools
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Hempstead, New York – Ludlum Elementary School renamed to Barack Obama Elementary School
- Obama High School – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – Pittsburgh IB World 6–12 renamed to Pittsburgh Obama High School
- Barack Obama Elementary School - Richmond – Renamed in 2018, formerly named after J. E. B. Stuart
- Avinguda Barack Obama – In 2008, a street in the town of Nàquera in Valencia, Spain, was named in honor of Barack Obama for being "an icon of multiculturalism". The street was formerly named after José Antonio Primo de Rivera, founder of the fascist party Falange and son of Spanish dictator Miguel Primo de Rivera.
- Barack Obama Drive – A road in the Tanzanian city Dar es Salaam was renamed in honor of Obama's visit to the country in July 2013. The road, located by the Indian Ocean, leads to the Tanzanian State House. It was previously known as Ocean Road.
- Obama Way – Seaside, California – renamed from Broadway Avenue effective September 15, 2010.
- Obama Boulevard – Los Angeles, California – renamed from Rodeo Road officially on May 5, 2019.
- President Barack H. Obama Highway – Glendale, California, Pasadena, California, and Los Angeles, California - renaming of a section of California State Route 134 (part of the "Ventura Freeway", officially signed on December 20, 2018.
- Barack Obama Boulevard - San Jose, California – Rename portions of Bird Avenue, South Montgomery Street, South Autumn Street and North Autumn Street to Barack Obama Boulevard, approved January 5, 2021.
- Barack Obama Boulevard – Milpitas, California – Milpitas City Council approved the renaming of a section of Dixon Landing Road to Barack Obama Boulevard.
- Barack Obama Avenue – Opa-locka, Florida – City commission approved the renaming of Perviz Avenue effective Presidents' Day, February 2009.
- Barack Obama Boulevard – West Park, Florida – City commission approved the renaming of SW 40th Ave, Effective July 2009.
- President Barack Obama Parkway – Orlando, Florida – approximately 1 1⁄2 miles in length; includes sidewalks and bike lanes.
- Barack Obama Boulevard – Pahokee, Florida
- President Barack Obama Highway within the limits of Riviera Beach, Florida
- Barack Obama Boulevard – Quincy, Florida
- South Barack Obama Avenue – East St. Louis, Illinois – City council approved the renaming of a half mile section of 4th street to Barack Obama Avenue in August 2012.
- Barack Obama Presidential Expressway – In July 2017, the Illinois General Assembly voted to name a section of Interstate 55 the Barack Obama Presidential Expressway.
- Barack Obama Way – New Albany, Indiana – a section of Reas Lane was renamed in the last week of Obama's presidency to honor the fact that "Obama's stimulus plan has helped the city create new jobs and facilitate economic development."
- President Barack Obama Boulevard – St. Louis, Missouri – Part of Delmar Boulevard given honorary renaming to Obama Boulevard, even though the postal address will retain Delmar Boulevard.
- President Barack Obama Avenue – Cincinnati, Ohio – Formerly Reading Road, the street name stretches from Downtown Cincinnati to Reading, Ohio.
Antigua and Barbuda
- Mount Obama in Antigua and Barbuda – renamed from Boggy Peak on Obama's birthday, August 4, 2009.
- The Barack Obama Plaza - including a petrol station, food court and visitor centre that provides information on Obama's connections, at Moneygall in County Offaly, between Dublin and Limerick. Moneygall was birthplace of Obama's great-great-great-grandfather.
- Obama Day, Kenyan holiday honoring Obama's 2008 election victory
- Barack Obama Day, state holiday celebrated in Illinois
- Pembroke Park Road – Hollywood, Florida – portion of (or all of) road proposed to be renamed Barack Obama Boulevard
- St. Petersburg Main Library – St. Petersburg, Florida – City council approved the renaming of the library to be renamed the President Barack Obama Main Community Library after undergoing a renovation project. Completion date is TBD.
- List of topics related to Barack Obama
- List of places named for George Washington
- List of places named for Thomas Jefferson
- List of places named for James Monroe
- List of places named for Andrew Jackson
- List of places named for James K. Polk
- List of things named after Ronald Reagan
- List of things named after George H. W. Bush
- List of things named after Bill Clinton
- List of things named after George W. Bush
- List of things named after Donald Trump
- List of educational institutions named after presidents of the United States
- Boddy, Jessica (December 29, 2016). "These nine different creatures have been named after Barack Obama". Science. doi:10.1126/science.aal0558.
- Foley, Katherine Ellen (December 30, 2016). "Scientists love president Obama so much they've named nine different animals after him". Quartz.
- Makhan, Dewanand (2015). "Desmopachria barackobamai sp. nov., a new species of waterbeetle from French Guiana (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae)". Calodema (361): 1–2. doi:10.13140/RG.2.2.23166.38728.
- Genaro, Julio A. (2016). "Especies nuevas y nuevos registros de abejas para las Antillas (Hymenoptera: Anthophila; Colletidae, Halictidae". Novitates Caribaea. 10 (10): 38–51. doi:10.33800/nc.v0i10.28.
- Carr, Steve (April 18, 2012). "UNM Researchers Find When Mates Are Hard to Find, Males Are First to Go". University of New Mexico. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- Peters, Cynthia (December 11, 2017). "Marine Biologist Discovers Three New Species of Sea Slugs". PolyCentric. California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.
- Thomsen, Jacqueline (September 26, 2017). "Scientists name new species of spiders after Sanders, Obamas". TheHill.
- Davis, Dillon (September 15, 2018). "Horse named Barack Obama competing in FEI World Equestrian Games euthanized in Tryon". Asheville Citizen-Times. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Song, Jason (January 16, 2009). "Compton school is named for Barack Obama, a first in California". Los Angeles Times' "L.A. Now" local news blog. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy". Bogpa-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com. May 7, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Oakland School Renamed Barack Obama Academy". KTVU. March 26, 2009. Archived from the original on March 30, 2009. Retrieved March 26, 2009.
- "Connecticut school to be named after former President Obama". Associated Press. June 16, 2018. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Home. Barack Obama Elementary School. Retrieved on August 28, 2018. "Barack Obama Elementary 12700 Brooke Lane Upper Marlboro, MD 20772"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Westphalia CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 27, 2018. Pages: 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- "School board approves Barack Obama Elementary name". The Gazette. June 26, 2009.
- "Detroit School Changes Name To Honor Barack Obama". CBS Detroit. August 15, 2019.
- "St. Paul elementary school to get Obama name". Star Tribune. May 19, 2009. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "School named after Confederacy's only president renamed for Barack Obama". ABC Inc., KABC-TV Los Angeles, California. October 19, 2017. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
- "Welcome to the Normandy School District Website". Normandy.k12.mo.us. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Home". Barack Obama Elementary School. Retrieved January 28, 2020.
- Epa/Matthew Cavanaugh. "Plainfield high school named after President Obama | New Jersey Real-Time News". NJ.com. Retrieved February 20, 2010.
- Walsh, Jeremy (April 11, 2010). "New Barack Obama Green Charter High School is coming to Plainfield | Star-Ledger". NJ.com. Retrieved August 23, 2010.
- "Jersey City Board of Education OKs naming School 34 after Obama". NJ.com. October 22, 2016.
- "New York Elementary School Renamed After Barack Obama – Local News | News Articles | National News | US News". Fox News. November 21, 2008. Retrieved February 20, 2010.
- "Barack Obama Elementary School Now Open in Maple Heights", cleveland.com, January 17, 2012, retrieved October 17, 2016
- "South Florida Street Expected To Be Renamed For Obama – Miami News Story – WPLG Miami". Local10.com. November 22, 2008. Archived from the original on September 26, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- Williams, Shawn P. (August 24, 2011). "Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy: DISD All-Male School Opens With High Expectations". Dallas South News. Archived from the original on March 23, 2012. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Mattingly, Justin (June 18, 2018). "Richmond's J.E.B. Stuart Elementary School — honoring a Confederate — will be renamed for Barack Obama". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "'Barack Obama School' name change splits Milwaukee board". jsonline.com. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education". Milwaukee Public Schools. Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Govan, Fiona (November 28, 2008). "Spanish street to be named after *Barack Obama". The Daily Telegraph. UK. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "La localidad de Náquera dedica una calle a Barack Obama y elimina el nombre de 'José Antonio'". Europa Press. December 27, 2008. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- Talev, Margaret; Goldman, Julianna (July 1, 2013). "Obama to Join With Political Foe Bush as Africa Trip Winds Down". Bloomberg. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "Obama courts African businesses, is greeted by massive crowds in Tanzania on final leg of trip". The Washington Post. July 1, 2013. Archived from the original on July 1, 2013. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "Seaside to Unveil "Obama Way"". Archived from the original on September 5, 2012.
- "Signage Up for Section of 134 Highway Renamed After President Barack Obama".
- "San Jose will rename this street as Barack Obama Boulevard".
- "Milpitas votes to create Barack Obama Boulevard despite landfill worries". The Mercury News. September 17, 2019.
- "South Florida Street Expected To Be Renamed For Obama – Miami News Story – WPLG Miami". Local10.com. November 22, 2008. Archived from the original on September 26, 2011. Retrieved February 20, 2010.
- Carey, Clay (January 4, 2009). "Obama to join literary characters in Florida". USA Today. Retrieved January 11, 2009.
- "Topic Galleries – South Florida". Sun-sentinel.com. Archived from the original on June 14, 2009. Retrieved February 20, 2010.
- Tiffany Gabbay (October 11, 2011). "Orlando Unveils 'President Barack Obama Parkway'". The Blaze. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 23, 2015. Retrieved December 22, 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Swisher, Skyler. "Old Dixie Highway renamed in honor of Obama in Riviera Beach". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Quincy street renamed after Barack Obama". WTXL-TV. August 16, 2018.
- "East St. Louis city council minutes" (PDF). City of East St. Louis, IL. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Mackey, Brian. "Illinois Highway To Be Named After Barack Obama". Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "New Albany names street after Obama". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- "Renamed schools, streets mark early tributes to Obama - USATODAY.com". usatoday30.usatoday.com. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Google Street View
- DiTirro, Tessa (September 30, 2020). "Renaming Reading Road: Council approves "President Barack Obama Avenue"". WKRC. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- Kentish, Anika (August 15, 2009). "Antigua's highest peak renamed 'Mount Obama'". Archived from the original on August 13, 2009. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- "Unexpected things named after Obama". October 18, 2017. Retrieved October 18, 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Rodriguez, Ihosvani (December 29, 2009). "Down the road: Obama Boulevard in Florida?". Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Florida). Retrieved January 11, 2009.
- Ann Moore, Waveney (April 27, 2018). "St. Petersburg library to be named for former President Obama". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved November 21, 2018.