maNga in Oslo
|Labels||Poll Production, GRGDN, Sony Music Entertainment|
Özgür Can Öney
|Past members||Orçun Şekerusta
Manga (also stylized as maNga) is a Turkish rock band whose music is mainly a fusion of Anatolian melodies with electronic elements. In 2009, they won both the Best Turkish Act award from MTV Turkey and consequently the Best European Act award from MTV Networks Europe in MTV Europe Music Awards 2009. They represented Turkey at the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 with the song "We Could Be the Same" and took second place.
|This section is outdated. (February 2015)|
Manga was formed in the year 2001, being named after the word for 'cool man', 'Manga'. Initially, they were mostly underground, playing covers of other rock and metal bands. They came into the public spotlight after finishing runner-up at the Sing your song' music contest. This caught the attention of artist manager Hadi Elazzi (GRGDN), who immediately promoted the band to Sony Music, which resulted in their first, self-titled album being published in 2004, becoming a mass hit.
Following this, they performed at various music festivals and have worked with such famous Turkish singers as Koray Candemir (of Kargo fame), Vega and Göksel. Most of their songs are written by the group members.
Manga's duet with Göksel is included in one of the most successful (with almost a million viewers) Turkish films, Sınav (featuring Jean-Claude Van Damme). Their song Bir kadın çizeceksin was featured among the music of the FIFA 06 game.
Manga took to the stage at the Wembley Arena in London, together with Tarkan on 13 April 2008, but was then cancelled because of the technical problems. They then again took to the stage in London at the O2 Academy, Islington on 4 December 2009.
- Ferman Akgül - vocals (2001–present), keyboards (2013-present)
- Yağmur Sarıgül - guitar (2001–present)
- Cem Bahtiyar - bass guitar (2001–present)
- Özgür Can Öney - drums (2001–present)
- Orçun Şekerusta - bass guitar (2001)
- Efe Yılmaz - DJ, electronics (2001-2013)
|2014||Işıkları Söndürseler Bile
|2011||Anadolu Kartalları Soundtrack
|2009||"Dünyanın Sonuna Doğmuşum"||1||—||—||—||335||Şehr-i Hüzün|
|"Beni Benimle Bırak"||1||—||—||—||—|
|2010||"We Could Be the Same"||1||29||56||129||—||E-akustik|
|"Fly to Stay Alive"||2||—||—||—||—|
|2014||"Fazla Aşkı Olan Var Mı?"||—||—||—||—||—||Işıkları Söndürseler Bile|
- 2005: POPSAV Ödülleri
- Best rock band
- Best video
- 2005: Hürriyet Altın Kelebek Ödülleri (Golden Butterfly Awards)
- Best Newcomer Band
- 2006: MÜYAP Ödülleri
- Gold Disc for the album maNga
- 2009: MTV Turkey
- Best Turkish Act
- MTV Europe Music Awards 
- 2009: Best Turkish Act (Won)
- 2009: Best European Act (Won)
- 2011 Balkan Music Awards
- Best Duet/Group In The Balkans
- 2012 Balkan Music Awards
- Best Group In The Balkans
maNga has made the music for Aşık Veysel's poem Kara Toprak, and later used a completely different poem by Göksel for the song which became known as Dursun Zaman (by the title of Göksel's poem "Dursun Zaman").
They also played in London's O2 Academy Islington on 4 December in 2009.
- "Rockers maNga unveil Eurovision song 'We Could Be the Same'". Today's Zaman. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Eremenko, Alexey. "maNga – Artist Biography". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Eremenko, Alexey. "maNga – Sehr-i Hüzün". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- MÜYAP: Gold receiving artists 2006
- Tolga AKYILDIZ: Iyi filmin iyi şarkıları (Goods songs for a good film) - Hürriyet Newspaper
- Michael Show: SINAV Orijinal Film Müzikleri ( SONY BMG – 2006)
- Sony Music Türkiye: Sinav Orijinal Soundtrack
- Tarkan - maNga, London
- "Eurovision'a 'maNga' gidiyor" (in Turkish). HaberTürk. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Billboard Turkish Rock Top 20 Chart
- Swedish Singles Chart
- Swiss Singles Chart
- UK Singles Chart
- Russian Airplay Chart
- POPSAV ödülleri - Sabah
- Altin kelebek 2005 - Hürriyet
- Müzik Oscar'lari sahiplerini buldu - Hürriyet
- MTV Turkey news
- MTV Europe Music Awards: MaNga nominated for Best Turkish Act"
- Tarkan - Manga, London
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MaNga.|
- maNga official website (Turkish) (English)
|Awards and achievements|
|Best European Act in the MTV Europe Music Awards
with Düm Tek Tek
|Turkey in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Live It Up
|Best Group in the Balkans
[to be determined]