From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Makara may refer to:
- Makara (Hindu mythology), a mythical creature in Hinduism
- Capricorn (astrology) in the Hindu calendar
- "Blessed" in Greek. Since many East European people accepted Christianity from the Greeks, many of these peoples have Makara in the root of some names: Makarios (Greeks). The given name Makar gave rise to a number of last names Makarov (Russians), Makarenko (Ukrainians), Makara (Slovaks).
- Seven sisters who became the Pleiades in the mythology of some Aboriginal tribes in Australia
- In the Khmer language, Makara is the first month of a year, January (Khmer: មករា).
- Makara, New Zealand, a rural locality on the coast of the North Island west of Wellington
- Makara River, Wellington
- Makara River, Chatham Islands
- Makara Guardians, a group opposed to wind-farm development at Makara in New Zealand
- Universitas Indonesia logo name
- X-Bomber Japanese sci-fi puppet character Commander Makara
- Makara (magazine), a Canadian feminist arts journal, 1975–1978
- A surname of Brythonic and Goidelic origin, as above.
- Makara (album) is the third studio album released by E.S. Posthumus.
- Makara means "charcoal" in Kikuyu, a Central Kenya local language
- A trademarked name for an Indonesian variety of cinnamon.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Makara.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.