Mrs. America (miniseries)
|Written by||Dahvi Waller|
|Country of origin||United States|
"Mrs. America tells the true story of the movement to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment, and the unexpected backlash led by a conservative woman named Phyllis Schlafly, played by Blanchett. Through the eyes of the women of that era — both Schlafly and second-wave feminists Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, Shirley Chisholm, Bella Abzug and Jill Ruckelshaus — the series explores how one of the toughest battlegrounds in the culture wars of the ’70s helped give rise to the Moral Majority and forever shifted our political landscape."
Cast and characters
- Cate Blanchett as Phyllis Schlafly
- Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem
- Sarah Paulson as Alice
- Margo Martindale as Bella Abzug
- Uzo Aduba as Shirley Chisholm
- Elizabeth Banks as Jill Ruckelshaus
- Tracey Ullman as Betty Friedan
- John Slattery as Fred Schlafly
- Kayli Carter as Pamela
- Ari Graynor as Brenda Feigen
- Melanie Lynskey as Rosemary Thomson
- James Marsden as Phil Crane
- Jeanne Tripplehorn as Eleanor Schlafly
- Niecy Nash as Flo Kennedy
- Olivia Scriven as Liza Schlafly
- Bria Henderson as Margaret Sloan-Hunter
In October 2018, it was announced FX had ordered the miniseries. In November 2019, it was announced the show would premiere on Hulu instead of FX, as part of "FX on Hulu". In January 2020, it was reported that the series is set to premiere on April 15, 2020.
Alongside the series order, Cate Blanchett was announced to star. In May 2019, Uzo Aduba, Rose Byrne, Kayli Carter, Ari Graynor, Melanie Lynskey, James Marsden, Margo Martindale, Sarah Paulson, John Slattery, Jeanne Tripplehorn and Tracey Ullman were added to the series. In June 2019, Elizabeth Banks was cast to star while Bria Henderson was set to recur. Niecy Nash was cast in a recurring role in August, with Olivia Scriven cast in October.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (October 30, 2018). "Cate Blanchett To Star In 'Mrs. America' Limited Series Ordered By FX". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (January 9, 2020). "FX Sets Premiere Dates For 'Fargo', 'Mrs. America', 'Better Things', 'Devs', 'Archer' & More – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 9, 2020.
- Crucchiola, Jordan (October 30, 2018). "Cate Blanchett to Grace American Television With FX Series Mrs. America". Vulture. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Jarvey, Natalie; Goldberg, Lesley (November 7, 2019). "FX to Produce Programming for Hulu". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- Bennett, Anita (May 14, 2019). "Uzo Aduba, James Marsden, Sarah Paulson, More Join Cate Blanchett In FX's 'Mrs. America'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 4, 2019). "Elizabeth Banks To Co-Star In FX Limited Series 'Mrs. America'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (June 25, 2019). "'P-Valley' Casts Thomas Q. Jones; Bria Henderson Joins 'Mrs. America'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 10, 2020.
- Petski, Denise (August 16, 2019). "'Mrs. America': Niecy Nash To Recur In FX Limited Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (October 23, 2019). "'Mrs. America': Olivia Scriven To Recur In FX Limited Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- "Current Productions | IATSE 873". IATSE 873. Archived from the original on October 23, 2019. Retrieved October 23, 2019.