Nepal Idol logo as of 2017
|Created by||Simon Fuller|
|Based on||Idol TV Series|
Manoj KC Samaya
|Narrated by||Suresh Paudel|
|Theme music composer|
|Country of origin||Nepal|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||73|
|Producer(s)||Laxmi Prasad Paudyal|
|Production location(s)||Thapathali, Kathmandu|
|Camera setup||Multi-camera Setup (Grass Valley/Black Magic)|
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Original network||AP1 TV|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||2017 April 12|
|Host(s)||Reema Bishwokarma Aasif Shah|
|Buddha Lama (2017)|
|Nishan Bhattarai (2017) Pratap Das (2017)|
Nepal Idol (Nepali: नेपाल आइडल) is a Nepali reality television singing competition that is part of the Idols franchise created by Simon Fuller and owned by FremantleMedia. The judges were Nhyoo Bajracharya, Indira Joshi and Kali Prasad Baskota Nepal Idol 2017 is the first season of Idol Franchise in Nepal which aired on AP1 TV.
In the first season, audition were held at seven cities; Nepalgunj, Butwal, Narayangarh, Birgunj, Biratnagar, Pokhara and Kathmandu. Contestants aged 16 to 30 years of age are allowed to participate. The first ever season of the show was won by Buddha Lama from Pokhara, Nepal. There were a total of 93,100,000 votes for the grand finale between Thursday and Friday according to the organizer. Nepal Idol is produced by AP1 TV for Annapurna Media Network.
Nepal Idol also follows the format provided by Fremantle Media from Idol Bible and followed by other versions of Idol Series.
As per the format, there is atleast one or two hosts both of them being of same gender or opposite gender. Nepal Idol was hosted by television actor and model Sushil Nepal and actress, model, VJ and television journalist Reema Bishwokarma. After announcement of season 2 Sushil Nepal, who left to host another singing reality show The Voice of Nepal, was replaced by Aasif Shah, Television Producer, music video and tvc director, singer and actor from famous Nepali movie, 'Dui Rupiyan'.
A preselected panel of music industry representatives are given to judge the contestants in prejudge round which is not televised. Actual panel of judges of three or five judge the contestants from Televised Audition to Grand Finale. In Nepal Idol, in season one and two the judges were Nhyoo Bajracharya, Indira Joshi and Kali Prasad Baskota. Bajracharya is a music composer and singer. He has composed dozens of famous songs in Nepali, Nepal bhasa and Hindi. His popular compositions include 'ful ko aakhaa ma fulai sanasar' with Ani Choying Drolma with his fusion style music. Indira Joshi is a singer, model, and actress. She released the song 'Rato Ghanghara' from her album 'Dance with Me'. She has also sung the item number Udhreko choli from the movie Loot (2012 film). She had already been among top 5 contestants in the first season of Nepali singing reality show Nepali Tara. Kali Prasad Baskota is a singer, musician, writer, and lyricist. His initial hits were hit songs like 'Chahana Sakiyo' and 'Laija Re'. Kali had done his singing debut from song 'Jaalma' from movie 'Resham filili' which was one of the biggest hit of that time. His other popular composition includes 'Thamel Baazar' from the movie 'Loot 2', 'Nira' from 'Purano Dunga' movie and one of the biggest hits 'Saili.'
- Auditions are held in numerous places in any particular region or country that give most people (audition entry is bound by certain legal requirements such as age and citizenship for example) the chance to sing in front of musical/television producers and if successful, they advance to a recorded televised audition where the show "judges" advance up to 300 people in some countries to the next round.
- The Theatre round is where a specially selected group of auditioners from all regional auditions converge (always in the host city) to perform in three sub stages: a chorus line in groups of 10 where free song choices are allowed, a trio (or less commonly a duo or quartet) where contestants must memorize a preselected song to perform and choreograph together, and finally a solo a cappella round where contestants sing a song of their own choice without musical backing in front of friends, family, judges & fellow contestants. Each stage of the theatre round, a number of contestants are eliminated and sent home by the judges, very few contestants brought back during the Wildcards show.
- Paino Round: After theatre , top 18 or top 20 contestants are selected. They are divided into 8 or 10 within themselves and 3 or 4 are eliminated from the round. Eliminated contestants are brought back during wildcard shows.
- Gala Round: The gala occurs usually pre-recorded where contestants sing in a television studio fully televised; again judges give critiques but beginning at this stage, home viewers vote via telephone and SMS (and in some countries other voting mechanisms including via Internet or who they want to stay in the competition. The contestants are judged by 50% audience vote and 50% judges marking. Gala usually consists of 12 contestants where they perform individually or in a group (usually in elimination day)semi-final contestants sing every week until all finalists have been chosen. Wildcards episode is also featured. Judges can use veto power of no elimination for only one time.
- Grand Finale: The Grand Finale occurs when there are three contestants left in the competition. This is the pinnacle of the entire series and often highest rated show; also for some countries, it is venued in a prestigious location. There are usually group performances and/or special musical guests. Also, it has the best moments of the series which leads up to the announcement of the winner, which is determined by the highest number of votes. When that happens, he or she will perform an encore of the coronation single which sometimes includes pyrotechnics/fireworks. In every round, the set is often changed.
Nepal Idol Season 1 was directed by Laxman Paudyal. Assistant Directors were Babu Surace D.C. and Manoj K.C.(Samaya). This is the first ever international franchise show held in the country. Buddha Lama was the winner of the first season who also happened to be the youngest contestant to be selected.
|Nepalgunj, Province No. 5||12 Magh 2073 (25 Jan 2017)||Jay Bageshowri HS School, Surkhet Road|
|Butwal, Province No. 5||15 Magh 2073 (28 Jan 2017)||Kalika HS School, Kalikanagar|
|Narayangarh, Province No. 3||18 Magh 2073 (31 Jan 2017)||Shree Balkumari HS School|
|Birgunj, Province No. 2||21 Magh 2073 (3 Feb 2017)||Gyan Batika HS School, Ranighat Roads|
|Biratnagar, Province No. 1||24 & 25 Magh 2073 (6 & 7 Feb 2017)||Shree Adarsha HS School, Biratnagar|
|Pokhara, Province No. 4||29 Magh & 1 Falgun 2073 (11 & 12 Feb 2017)||Navin HS School, Gairapatan|
|Kathmandu, Province No. 3||07 & 08 Falgun 2073 (18 & 19 Feb 2017)||DAV School, Jawalakhel|
Top 18 Performers
|Rank||Voting Code||Contestant||Age (on show)||Hometown||Audition city||Result|
|03||10||Pratap Das||22||Lalitpur||Kathmandu||3rd Place|
|10||04||Kenjal Meher Shrestha||23||Lalitpur||Kathmandu||Eliminated|
|13–18||05||Manoj Thapa Magar||Bhojpur||Biratnagar||Eliminated|
|13–18||08||Pragya Shree Biswokarma||16||Lalitpur||Kathmandu||Eliminated|
|* Performer Of the Day||X Danger Zone||Eliminated|
|1||Buddha Lama||*||X||No Elimination||Winner|
|3||Pratap Das||* X||X||X||X||3rd|
|5||Sujata Pandey||*||X||X||X||* Elim|
|10||Kenjal M. Shrestha||X||Elim|
|Manoj Thapa Magar|
|Pragya Shree Biswokarma||Elim|
- Komal Oli (Episode 22)
- Lochan Rijal (Episode 22)
- Tulsi Ghimire (Episode 23)
- Prem Dhoj Pradhan (Episode 25)
- Rajan Ishan (Episode 25)
- Sanup Paudel (Episode 26)
- Shiva Lamichhane (Episode 26)
- Mingma Sherpa (Episode 26)
- Ciney Gurung (Episode 26)
- Yubaraj Chaulagain (Episode 26)
- Kamal Khatri (Episode 26)
- Bishwa Nepali (Episode 26)
- Kali Prasad Rijal (Episode 28)
- Pramod Kharel (Episode 30)
- Ram Krishna Dhakal (Episode 31)
- Rajesh Payal Rai (Episode 32)
- Nischal Basnet (Episode 33)
- Aasif Shah (Episode 33)
- Paul Shah (Episode 35)
- Aanchal Sharma (Episode 35)
- Hari Bansha Acharya (Finale)
- Madan Krishna Shrestha (Finale)
It was officially announced in early 2018 that Nepal Idol will be back for season, The Season 2 auditions started from March 20 in Bhairahawa. The other announced locations were Dhangadhi, Hetauda, Dharan, Pokhara along with Kathmandu.After the auditions were concluded, the show aired from August 7. The director for season 2 are Suresh Paudel, Lokesh Bajracharya and Aleen Shrestha. The show is hosted by Aasif Shah and Reema Bishwokarma as the previous host Sushil Nepal left and moved to The Voice of Nepal. Assistant Directors are Mohan Raj Adhikari and Babu Surace D.C.(Surace Dulal). Director Of Photography is Shiva Ram Shrestha.
The audition for the Second season of Nepal Idol were held on :
|Bhairahawa, Province No. 5||6th Chaitra 2074||Jaycees Kindergarten High School|
|Dharan, Province No. 1||8th Chaitra 2074||Bishnu Memorial Higher Secondary School.|
|Dhangadhi, Province No. 7||11th Chaitra 2074||Sudur Paschimanchal Academy|
|Birgunj, Province No. 2||1 Bhaisahak 2075||Shree Adarsha HS School, Birgunj|
|Hetauda, Province No. 3||3rd Baisakh 2075||Siddhartha Secondary School|
|Pokhara, Province No. 4||14 Baishak 2075||Shree Janapriya Secondary School, Pokhara|
|Kathmandu, Province No. 3||18 & 19 Baishak 2075||NK Singh Memorial EPS School|
|Episode No||Date||Episode Title||Description|
|01||2018 August 9||Bhairahawa Audition||This was first episode of Nepal Idol Season 2. This featured Bhairahawa Audition.|
|02||2018 August 10||Dhangadi Audition||This was second episode of Nepal Idol Season 2. This featured Dhangadi Audition.|
|03||2018 August 16||Birgunj & Hetauda Audition||This was third episode of Nepal Idol Season 2. This featured Hetuda Audition. The contestants selected from Pre-judge round in Birgunj also participated in this audition.|
|04||2018 August 17||Dharan Audition||This was fourth episode of Nepal Idol Season 2. This featured Dharan Audition.|
|05||2018 August 23||Pokhara Audition||This was fifth episode of Nepal Idol Season 2. This featured Pokhara Audition. Neelima Thapa Magar and Bikram Baral won golden mic in this episode.|
|06||2018 August 24||Kathmandu Audition||This was sixth and last episode of Nepal Idol Season 2 Audition. This featured Kathmandu Audition. Sumit Pathak won golden mic in this episode.|
|07||2018 August 30||Theatre Round - 1||Selcted contestants were brought in Kathmandu for further performance. Contestants were divided into several groups and they had to perform individually.|
|08||2018 August 31||Theatre Round - 2||Contestants were divided into trio or duo for group performance.|
|09||2018 September 6||Theatre Round - 3||Individual performance with live band.|
|10||2018 September 7||Theatre Round - 4||Individual performance with live band.|
|11||2018 September 13||Paino Round - 1||Top 20 contestants were selected from Theatre Round and divided into group of 10. First ten performed in this episode.|
|12||2018 September 14||Paino Round - 2||Four contestants were eliminated from first group.|
|13||2018 September 20||Paino Round - 3||Second group performed individually.|
|14||2018 September 21||Paino Round - 4||Four contestants were eliminated from second group.|
|15||2018 September 27||Gala Round-1 Grand Premiere||Eliminated contestants performed in group. There was Grand Premiere. Top 12 contestants performed.|
|16||2018 September 28||Gala Round-2 Top 12 Elimination||One contestants from Top 12 was eliminated according to marks obtained by 50-50% judge-audience vote.|
|17||2018 October 4||Gala Round-3 Top 11||Top 11 contestants performed.|
|18||2018 October 5||Gala Round-4Top 11 Elimination||One contestants from Top 11 was eliminated according to marks obtained by 50-50% judge-audience vote.|
|19||2018 October 11||Gala Round-5 Top 10||Top 10 contestants performed.|
|20||2018 October 12||Gala Round-6 Top 10 Elimination||One contestants from Top 10 was eliminated according to marks obtained by 50-50% judge-audience vote.|
|N/A||2018 October 18||Wild Card Special Episode||Three contestants eliminated from theatre Round and three from paino Round was given second chance. Result was based on 100% audience vote.|
|N/A||2018 October 19||Dashain Special Episode||Revive of past episodes. Review of public, musicians and actors. Dashain greetings from contestants.|
|21||2018 October 25||Gala Round 7 Top 10||Top 10 finalist contestants performed. Jeshmi Limbu re entered in the show through wildcard. Sandip Chettri, Aayushman DS Joshi and Dipendra K Khanal joined.|
|22||2018 October 26||Gala Round 8 Top 10 Elimination||Top 10 finalist contestants performed in group. Jeshmi Limbu eliminated from the show. Top 3 contestants of Nepal Idol Season 1 appeared as guest and performed together with contestants.|
|23||2018 November 1||Gala Round 9 Top 9||Top 9 finalist contestants performed. Sambhujeet Baskota was appeared as guest judge.|
|24||2018 November 2||Gala Round 10 Top 9 Elimination||Top 9 finalist contestants performed in group. Subin Singh was eliminated according to marks obtained by 50-50% judge-audience vote. Prasad team released its trailer.|
|25||2018 November 8||Gala Round 11 Rock/Pop Special||Top 8 finalist contestants performed. Tihar song was performed. Deepak Bajracharya appeared as guest judge. No elimination was declared.|
|26||2018 November 9||Gala Round 12||Top 8 finalist performed. Anuradha Koirala appeared as guest.There was no elimination. All contestants were safe.|
|27||2018 November 15||Gala Round 13 Nepali Folk Special||Top 8 contestants performed on folk theme.|
|28||2018 November 16||Gala Round 14 Top 8 Elimination||Top 8 contestants performed in duo.|
|29||2018 November 22||Gala Round 15 Top 7 - Idol's Idol Special||Top 7 contestants performed in duo with their singing idol.|
|30||2018 November 23||Gala Round 16 Top 7 Elimination||Shiva Pariyar appeared as guest.|
|31||2018 November 29||Gala Round 17 Top 6 - Patriotism Special||Top 6 contestants performed in national songs.|
|32||2018 November 30||Gala Round 18 Top 6 - Elimination||Top 6 contestants performed in duo.|
|33||2018 December 6||Gala Round 19 Top 5 - Audience Choice||Top 5 contestants performed. Arjun Pokhrel appeared as guest.|
|34||2018 December 7||Gala Round 20 Top 5 - Elimination||Top 5 contestants performed with eliminated contestants. Nir Shah and Dinesh Adhikari appeared as guest.|
- ^Note 1 Episodes are entitled according to rounds.
|** Golden Mic Winner||P Performer Of the Day||X Danger Zone||V Highest Voted Contestant|
|Wild Card Entry
|4||Bikram Baral||25||Pokhara||**||**||X||P V||P (11/16)||X||P(12/07) X|
|4||Ravi Oad||20||Dhangadi||V||P (11/22)||V|
|4||Sumit Pathak||19||Jhapa||**||**||P V||X||V||X||P(12/06) V|
|5||Amit Baral||24||Butwal||X||P||X||P (11/23)||X||Eliminated|
|6||Pawan Giri||22||Dolakha||P||X||V||P V||X||X||Eliminated|
|7||Nilima Thapa||20||Pokhara||**||**||P (11/15)||Eliminated|
|10||Jeshmi Limbu||19||Itahari||Eliminated||Advanced to Top 10||Eliminated|
|11||Heena Malla Baraili||17||Dharan||X||Eliminated|
- Hemant Sharma (Episode 11)
- Astha Raut (Episode 11)
- Suresh Adhikari (Episode 14)
- Nima Rumba (Episode 16)
- Deepak Raj Giri (Episode 17)
- Kedar Ghimire (Episode 17)
- Raju Lama (Episode 18)
- Hemant Rana Magar (Episode 19)
- Swasmita Khadka (Episode 20)
- Khagendra Lamichhane (Episode 20)
- Ashok Sharma (Episode 20)
- Sandip Chettri (Episode 21)
- Aayushman Deshraj Shrestha Joshi (Episode 21)
- Dipendra K. Khanal (Episode 22)
- Nishan Bhattarai (Episode 22)
- Pratap Das (Episode 22)
- Buddha Lama (Episode 22)
- Sambhujeet Baskota (Episode 23)
- Nischal Basnet (Episode 24)
- Dinesh Raut (Episode 24)
- Deepak Bajracharya (Episode 25)
- Anuradha Koirala (Episode 26)
- Jayananda Lama (Episode 27)
- Suraj Thapa (Episode 27)
- Deepak Jangam (Episode 28)
- Raj Sigdel (Episode 29)
- Swopnil Sharma (Episode 29)
- Tsuil Karmacharya (Episode 29)
- Tika Prasai (Episode 29)
- Santosh Lama (Episode 29)
- Rejina Rimal (Episode 29)
- Pusphan Pradhan (Episode 29)
- Shiva Pariyar (Episode 30)
- Sitaram Kattel Dhurmus (Episode 31)
- Kunjana Ghimire Suntali (Episode 31)
- Gopal Rasaili (Episode 32)
- Namrata Shrestha (Episode 32)
- Arjun Pokhrel (Episode 33)
- Neer Shah (Episode 34)
- Dinesh Adhikari (Episode 34)
- Salon Basnet (Episode 34)
- Sara Shripali (Episode 34)
- Subrat Raj Aacharya (Episode 34)
Controversy and lawsuit
On 1 September 2017, the judges of the content announced that they would use their "veto" and not allow the elimination of any contestant at the end of that episode. The hosts announced that the votes received for that episode would be added to the next weeks elimination scores. However, the move drew considerable criticism on social media, with many accusing the producers of trying to make more money or trying to save their "favourite" contestant. After that they had to face a lawsuit against them.
A lawsuit was also subsequently filed by a local lawyer against Nepal Idol and the channel broadcasting the show, in which the plaintiff claimed that the judges did not allow the elimination to save their "favorite" contestant and not disclosing the result of the vote. This lawsuit was dismissed by the court, finding that the plaintiff did not have "sufficient grounds for their claim".
- Nepal Idol. "Nepal Idol, Season 1". Nepal Idol. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Nepal Idol (TV Series 2017– ) – IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2017-06-11.
- "Nepal Idol, Judges". Nepal Idol. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Official Website (Beta) of AP1 TV". ap1.tv. Retrieved 2017-06-11.
- Biplob Prasai (Feb 14, 2017). "Some facts you may not know about 'Nepal Idol'". annanote.com. Retrieved 2017-06-11.
- "Buddha Lama clinches Nepal Idol title". My Republica. 2017-09-23. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Now, you don't need to pay to vote for your favorite Nepal Idol contestant". glocalkhabar. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Tribune, Kathmandu (2017-09-07). "Nepal Idol slapped with lawsuit over voting decision – Kathmandu Tribune – Nepal's Online Daily | Digital Newspaper in English and Nepali | Latest News from Nepal and the world". Kathmandu Tribune – Nepal's Online Daily | Digital Newspaper in English and Nepali | Latest News from Nepal and the world. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Court orders to stop counting of votes of 'Nepal Idol' till Sept 8". The Himalayan Times. 2017-09-06. Retrieved 2017-09-07.