Newmarket, County Cork
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elevation||175 m (574 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
|Irish Grid Reference|
- John Philpot Curran, the famous Irish orator and lawyer, was born on July 24, 1750 in Newmarket. He is credited as being the originator of the saying "The cost of Liberty is Eternal Vigilance".
- Sarah Curran, daughter of John Philpot Curran was the love of Irish rebel leader Robert Emmet. After her death in 1808 she was buried in the Protestant graveyard in Newmarket.
- Ex-Cork footballer Danny Culloty
- Ex-Cork Hurler Jerry Cronin
- Irish international rugby player Tony Buckley
- Noted Irish Republican Army Commandant Seán Moylan lived in Newmarket and initially captained the Newmarket company of Óglaigh na hÉireann during the Anglo-Irish war
- Kevin O'Driscoll, election agent for Irish President Michael D. Higgins in the 2011 Irish Presidential Election was born in High Street, Newmarket in 1946. He was Government Program Manager to the Irish Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht from 1993-1997. His late father Sean was a founder member of the local GAA club.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Newmarket is twinned with:
- Newmarket GAA
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Cork)
- List of towns and villages in Ireland
- The barony of Duhallow
- Mac Amhlaoibh and Mac Amhalghaidh (Irish septs), see Mac Amhlaoibh (sept of Mac Cárthaigh) which was seated at Newmarket.
- "Census 2016 - Small Area Population Statistics (SAPMAP Area) - Settlements - Newmarket". Census 2016. Central Statistics Office.