Caisleán Ó Liatháin
St Nicholas's Cemetery, Kill-Saint-Anne, Castlelyons
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
Castlelyons (Irish: Caisleán Ó Liatháin) is a small village in the east of County Cork, Ireland. It is also a civil parish in the barony of Barrymore. The name is derived from a stronghold of the Uí Liatháin - an early medieval kingdom. It is situated 6 km (3.7 mi) south of Fermoy. In the 2002 census it recorded a population of 211.
There are two stone bridges that cross the River Bride into the village - one a small footbridge and the other a bridge which was part of the entrance into Barrymore Castle - the seat of the Earls of Barrymore. The parish has two churches at Bridesbridge and Coolagown, and also boasts a castle, two abbeys, a mausoleum, two holy wells, and many other historical sights.
The Catholic parish of Castlelyons today is made up of three main districts - Coolagown, Britway and Castlelyons/Bridesbridge. Three quarters of the parish extend along the banks of the River Bride.
Castlelyons Friary existed between the 14th and 18th centuries.
During the English Civil War, the Battle of Castlelyons in 1645 was fought near the village.
- Thomas Kent, an Irish nationalist court-martialled and executed following a gunfight with the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) on 2 May 1916, in the immediate aftermath of the Easter Rising.
- William Brouncker, 2nd Viscount Brouncker, the celebrated mathematician, born here in 1620
- Hunting, shooting and fishing are popular in the area and there is both a gun club and an angling club. The village has an excellent pitch & putt course overlooking the Sean Abhainn stream. The village has a GAA pitch and squash courts.
- Castlelyons GAA is the local Gaelic Athletic Association club.
- Nance the Piper
- Uí Liatháin
- Lyons (disambiguation)
- Castlelyons Friary
- List of towns and villages in Ireland
- "Census 2016 - Small Area Population Statistics (SAPMAP Area) - Settlements - Castlelyons". Census 2016. Central Statistics Office.
- Placenames Database of Ireland. Caisleán Ó Liatháin Verified 2011-02-11.
- Placenames Database of Ireland Civil parish of Castlelyons.