News 12 Long Island
|News 12 Long Island|
|Launched||December 15, 1986|
|Network||News 12 Networks|
|Owned by||Newsday Media Holdings (Cablevision)|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Slogan||"As local as local news gets."
"Only on Cable. Never on FiOS. Never on satellite."
|Headquarters||Woodbury, New York|
|Cablevision (Long Island)||12 (SD/HD)|
News 12 Long Island is an American cable news television channel that is owned by the Newsday Media Holdings subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation. The channel provides 24-hour rolling news coverage focused primarily on Long Island, New York, and is touted in advertisements as the "first, largest and most watched regional news network" in the nation. The channel is headquartered in Woodbury, New York.
It serves as the flagship channel of the News 12 Networks slate of regional cable news channels in the New York City metropolitan area (each of which focus on areas outside of Manhattan and Queens, including the easternmost boroughs).
|This section requires expansion with: detailed history of the channel from its 1986 launch as well as its development. (August 2014)|
The channel was launched on December 15, 1986, as the first 24-hour regional news channel in the United States. News 12's programming reaches more than 800,000 cable television subscribers (mainly those subscribing to Cablevision) throughout Long Island as well as Nassau and Suffolk counties (covering an area estimated in 2010 to have a total population of 3.1 million residents).
On April 9, 2011, News 12 Long Island debuted a new set for its newscasts, as well as a new imaging package – including an updated logo, overhauls to its news ticker and graphics package, and a new music package ("Convergence" by Stephen Arnold). In addition, the channel became the second News 12 Networks service (behind News 12 New Jersey) to begin broadcasting in high-definition.
Notable on-air staff
- Doug Geed - weekday mornings; also East End reporter
- Bob Wolff - sports anchor/reporter
- Erin Colton - general assignment reporter
- Andrew Ehinger - consumer and technology reporter; also fill-in anchor
Notable former on-air staff
- Jodi Applegate (later at WNYW and WPIX)
- Patti Ann Browne (now at Fox News Channel)
- Greg Cergol (now at WNBC)
- Ted David (later at 1010 Wins)
- Ron Corning (now at WFAA in Dallas-Fort Worth)
- Scott Feldman (retired from journalism)
- Carolyn Gusoff (now at WCBS-TV/WLNY-TV)
- Bonnie Schneider (now at Weather Channel and Weather.com)
- Lara Spencer (now with ABC News as co-anchor of Good Morning America)
- Media in New York City
- News 12 Networks – a group of 24-hour regional cable news channels operated by Cablevision, of which News 12 Long Island serves as its flagship.
- News 12 New Jersey – sister cable news channel focused on New Jersey
- News 12 Brooklyn – sister cable news channel focused on Brooklyn
- News 12 Traffic and Weather – a semi-automated sister cable news channel focused on traffic and weather information
- NY1 - a similar 24-hour regional cable news channel operated by Time Warner Cable.
- FiOS1 - a similar group of 24-hour regional cable news channels operated by Verizon FiOS.
- Time Warner Cable News - a group of 24-hour regional cable news channels operated by Time Warner Cable; NY1 is the only regional news channel operated by TWC in the state of New York that does not utilize the TWCN brand using the same stricter branding standards as its sister channels.