||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
September 15, 1961 |
Harlem, New York City, US
|Occupation||Puppeteer, Writer, Actor, Television director|
Noel MacNeal (born September 15, 1961) is an American puppeteer, writer, actor, and director of children's television, best known as the voice and puppeteer of Bear in Bear in the Big Blue House and Breakfast with Bear. He first came to public attention in the early 1980s.
In 2003, Noel received a Daytime Emmy Nomination as "Outstanding Performer in a Children’s Series".
Noel portrays the environmentally friendly character ZoZo a mascot for safer streets, green transportation and useful public spaces. This Jim Henson designed and created walk around puppet is used by Livable Streets Education to talk about these issues with young children and families.
Among his characters are Bear, Mrs. (Mommy) Snuffleupagus and various Snuffleupagus relatives on Sesame Street. He has also been Magellan, a baby dragon, on the ACE Award winning series Eureeka's Castle on Nick Jr, Leon MacNeal in The Puzzle Place, Raphael in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III and Madame Chairbird in the Sesame Street film Follow That Bird. His repertoire of characters also includes Kako on the Nick Jr. series Oobi and Blue on Nick Jr.'s Blue's Room, Rabbit for The Disney Channel's Emmy Award-winning series The Book of Pooh, Leon on PBS's The Puzzle Place, and Knock-Knock on The Great Space Coaster. In addition, he’s performed with and/or for Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Whoopi Goldberg, Jerry Lewis, Mickey Rooney, Emma Thompson, Wayne Brady, Dave Chappelle, Donny and Marie Osmond, Gilbert Godfrey, Tom Bergeron, Regis and Kelly, Matt Lauer and Katie Couric (But not all at once).
Noel is also a television writer. His scripts have been featured on PBS Kids Sprout's The Good Night Show, The Disney Channel's Bear in the Big Blue House, PBS's The Puzzle Place, The Magic School Bus and Cyberchase, TLC's Salty's Lighthouse (in which he re-wrote an original episode of the British children's TV series Tugs for its own segments) and Nickelodeon's Eureeka's Castle and Gullah Gullah Island. He is also a script and television directorial adviser and consultant for the international versions of Sesame Street as well having directed episodes of Bear in the Big Blue House and PBS Kids Sprout's The Good Night Show.
- Bear in the Big Blue House: Bear, Moss
- Playhouse Disney UK: Bear
- Peter and the Wolf: The Wolf
- Sesame Street: Mommy Snuffleupagus, Gretel
- Dog City (series)
- The Jim Henson Hour
- Little Muppet Monsters
- A New Baby in My House
- Sesame Street's Staying Up Late
- Sing Yourself Silly!
- Elmo Saves Christmas
- Follow That Bird: Madame Chairbird
- A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa: Sweetums
- Blue's Room
- Oobi: Kako
- Eureeka's Castle: Magellan and Webster
- The Puzzle Place: Leon MacNeal
- The Great Space Coaster: Knock-Knock
- The Cosby Show: Doglion
- The Book of Pooh: Puppeteer
- Cosby episode: My Spy, puppet
- Chappelle's Show: "Knee High Park" (puppeteer and consultant)
- Oz: (Miss Sally's Show)
- The Good Night Show, season 1 (consultant)
- A Very Special Good Night: Leo (host)
- Between the Lions: Lionel Lion (Season 9), Monkey (Under Construction), Beetles Member, Squeaky the Wheel
- The Magic School Bus
- Salty's Lighthouse (Tugs segments, one episode only)
- The Puzzle Place
- Gullah Gullah Island
- Eureeka's Castle
- A Very Special Goodnight Show
- Nate the Great
- Bear in the Big Blue House
- Breakfast with Bear
- The Good Night Show