United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services
|Office of Internal Oversight Services|
United Nations Headquarters, New York City
Heidi Mendoza[needs update]
|United Nations Secretariat|
The United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) is an independent office in the United Nations Secretariat whose mandate is to "assist the Secretary-General in fulfilling his internal oversight responsibilities in respect of the resources and staff of the Organization." Specifically, activities include internal audit, investigation, monitoring, evaluation, inspection, reporting and support services to the United Nations Secretariat.
Its intended and mandated function is similar to many national government audit organisations, like the Government Accountability Office in the United States. It reports not only to the General Assembly, but also to the Secretary-General.
The current head of the OIOS, Under-Secretary-General Heidi Mendoza[needs update] of Republic of the Philippines, was appointed as Under-Secretary-General for Internal Oversight Services for a five-year term starting on 11 November 2015, succeeding Carman Lapointe of Canada.
Role and function
According to its website:
The Office submits reports to the Secretary-General that provide insight into the effective utilization of the resources of the Organization and the protection of its assets and also makes these reports available to the General Assembly. OIOS adds value by providing world-wide audit, investigation, inspection, programme monitoring, evaluation and consulting services to the United Nations Secretariat and a wide range of United Nations operational funds, programmes and tribunals. OIOS sees itself as an agent of change, committed to help client departments and offices bring about responsible administration of resources and a culture of accountability, transparency, results-orientation and risk awareness.
|#||Portrait||Under-Secretary-General||Dates in office||Nationality|
|1||Karl Theodor Paschke||1 January 1994 – 31 December 1999||Germany|
|2||Dileep Nair||24 April 2000 – 23 April 2005||Singapore|
|3||Inga-Britt Ahlenius||15 July 2005 – 14 July 2010||Sweden|
|4||Carman Lapointe||14 September 2010 – 6 October 2015||Canada|
|5||Heidi Mendoza||15 November 2015 - Incumbent||Philippines|
- "Review of the implementation of General Assembly resolutions 48/218 B, 54/244 and 59/272" (PDF). undocs.org. UN. 5 May 2010. p. 1. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Activities and functions of OIOS". un.org. UN. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Secretary-General welcomes approval of his nominee, Carman L. Lapointe (Canada), as Under-Secretary-General for Internal OversightServices". un.org. UN. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "About us". un.org. UN. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- Calleja, Niña P. (15 October 2015). "UN General Assembly OKs Heidi Mendoza’s appointment". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- United Nations Procurement Task Force: Interim Report on a Concerned UN Staff Member (PTF-R011-06), 19 Dec 2006 January 12, 2009
- United Nations Procurement Task Force: Report on Cogim SPA and Corimec Italiana SPA (PTF-R008-07), 28 Jun 2007 January 12, 2009
- United Nations Procurement Task Force: Final Report on a Concerned UN Staff Member and UNOPS Procurement (PTF-R012-07), 15 Aug 2007 January 12, 2009
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|