|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Quality and Discipline|
|Location||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, AICTE, NAAC|
PRIST University is a deemed university in the town of Vallam, Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu, India.It offers Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses in Engineering, Science, Education, Management and Arts, including Research programmes.Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institutions is a group of colleges in Tamil Nadu.
It began with an Institute of Computer Science and Technology founded in 1985 by Prof. P. Murugesan. At that time, his very purpose of starting that institute was to introduce Computer Education for the first time in Thanjavur District. In 1988, the Institute got affiliation from Bharathidasan University to offer Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Computer Applications. Since then, it has added Arts and Science College, College of Engineering and Technology, College of Education, Research Institution, and a Polytechnic College. There are campuses in Trichy, Kumbakonam, Puducherry, Chennai, and Madurai.
Ponnaiyah Ramajayam College applied for NAAC assessment and accreditation in the year 2004 and was awarded "A" grade (the first "A" Grade awarded college in the Bharathidasan University area) and thereby projected itself distinctly in the field of higher education. These remarkable achievements encouraged the college to submit its proposal to the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of Inda to confer Deemed University status.
Based on the recommendations of the UGC Expert Committee, the Ministry of HRD, Government of India, has conferred Deemed University status to the institution in the name of Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science and Technology (PRIST), through its order dated 4 January 2008. NCTE (National council for Teachers Education) B.Ed. course are approved by NCTE. DEC (Distance Education council) has approved PRIST University.
Degrees are offered in Medicine, Engineering, Arts & Science, Education, Pharmacy, Management, Technology., including some at the Ph.D. level.Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Medical college and hospital is situated in Nallur, ECR road Chennai.
PRIST University applied for NAAC assessment and accreditation in the year 2015 and was awarded "B" grade. A letter, signed by an undersecretary in the Union Health Ministry, said the Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Medical Sciences, which was granted conditional approval to offer 150 MBBS seats last year, has been debarred from admitting students for 2017-18 and 2018-19 academic years.
Admission to University has been offered based on student performance on the All-India Engineering Entrance Examination, conducted by CBSE for Engineering courses and based on marks scored in previous academic courses for various other courses. To be eligible for admission, students need to pass 10 for Diploma courses and 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry / Biotechnology / Biology / Technical Vocational subject Obtained at least 45% marks (40% in case of candidate belonging to reserved category) in the above subjects taken together.
Thanjavur West Campus
It is main campus spread in more than 50 acres land with built up area of over 1,500,000 square feet (150,000 m2) and houses a population of over 5,000 students with more than 20 blocks and two boys hostel. Entire campus is Wi-Fi enabled to provide wireless access to the 8 Mbit/s internet leased line for the students and faculty.A Central Admin Block is the modern and biggest building where most of the top level university executive chambers are available.
Thanjavur East campus
This campus is located approximately 15 km east from the main campus, spread across 20 acres of land with several block for different UG and PG level course in the field of Science, Humanity, Pharmacy and Management.There is girls hostel with capacity of housing more than 1000 girls. There is well stocked library and many indoor and outdoor sports facilities available for students.
- PRIST Cyber Tech Club - One of the oldest club of University, which engages student in field of computer Science to focus members attention on recent trends, developments and emerging technologies by organizing events, lectures, presentation and workshops.
- Shakespeare Club
- C. V. Raman Club
- PRIST Micro-Biology Club
- PRIST Bio-Chemistry Club
- PRIST Bio Clout Club
- PRIST Nature Club
- PRIST Green Cell
- Ramanujan Mathematics Club
- PRIST Athletic Association
- PRIST Chemistry Association
- Milton English Literary Association
- PRIST Fine Arts Association
- Amateur Marketing Managers Association
- Food Fest - Every year one day food festival organised by university with focus on South Indian foods.
- PRIST Kamban Kazhagam
- Database course from Oracle Corporation(OCA)- Oracle University Partner- Dedicated Smart classes and Labs for oracle courses on 11g and 12c with certified faculties and course material supplied by Oracle available to all students of circuit branches this course comes under add on course but it is mandatory for student undergoing B.Tech Computer science.University has tie-ups to with Orcle University,Munich,Japan for this program.
- Networking course from Cisco Systems(CCNA)- From 2nd year of Engineering Programs, students of circuit branches have to study the Cisco CCNA courses as part of their academic curriculum, university have tie-up with Cisco System to provide training certification for student and faculty and supply of course material.University has developed dedicated Labs and smart classes for these courses.
- SAP Partner(Certifications for UG and PG Student)
- GRE/GMAT/GATE- many student have undergone test, who is seeking higher studies in India and abroad. Latest preparation kit is available in Library for the student preparing to take the test.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to PRIST University.|