Peoria is an unincorporated community in Springfield Township, Franklin County, Indiana.
Peoria was named after the Peoria tribe. A post office was established at Peoria in 1850, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1907.
Peoria once had the Ingleside Institute academy and a normal school.
Peoria is located on the state line.
Peoria is located at 39°26′00″N 84°49′02″W / 39.43333°N 84.81722°W.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 259. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...Peoria is from the name of a subtribe of the Illinois tribe...
- ^ "Franklin County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- ^ Reifel, August Jacob (1915). History of Franklin County, Indiana. Windmill Publications. p. 147.
- ^ Bartlow, Bert Surene (1905). Centennial History of Butler County, Ohio. B. F. Bowen. p. 352.