The petronias or rock sparrows are a genus, Petronia, of sparrows. Most species are found in Africa with some species ranging in Asia and even Europe. Petronia is a local name for the rock sparrow from the Bologna area of Italy.
There are five species:
- Yellow-spotted petronia, Petronia pyrgita
- Yellow-throated sparrow (or chestnut-shouldered petronia), Petronia xanthocollis
- Yellow-throated petronia, Petronia superciliaris
- Bush petronia, Petronia dentata
- Rock sparrow, Petronia petronia
The pale rockfinch, also known as the pale rock sparrow, is sometimes placed in the genus Petronia, but it is generally assigned to a genus of its own, Carpospiza.
|This article about a sparrow is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|