Pleasant Hill, Saskatoon
|Suburban Development Area||Core Neighbourhoods|
|Settled Willoughy Hill||1885|
|Incorporated (village)||(as Pleasant Hill)|
|Incorporated (city)||1906 (as Saskatoon)|
|• Type||Municipal (Ward 2)|
|• Administrative body||Saskatoon City Council|
|• Councillor||Hilary Gough|
|• Average Income||$26,753|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|Website||Pleasant Hill Community Association|
Pleasant Hill is a neighbourhood of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The Governments are undertaking a major re-vitalization project of Pleasant Hill. $3.5 million is being invested in the business, and residential areas as well as in St. Mary's School. Together the Saskatoon Urban Renewal Project, the provincial government and the Western Economic Diversification project of the federal Government will result in neighbourhood overhauls. 29 lots zoned for business along 20th Street will be levelled and modern commercial upgrades put into place. Selected lots along Avenue N and Avenue O zoned as residential will be demolished to make way for affordable and decent homes. St. Mary's School will receive major renovations or replacement, possibly even a new community centre.
Within the Core Neighbourhoods Suburban Development Area (West Side), the neighbourhood of Pleasant Hill is triangular in shape and is south of 23rd Street, North-west of the rail line which runs diagonally and east of Avenue W South. Streets are laid out east and west, avenues are laid out running north and south. The whole of the Pleasant Hill community is laid out in a grid pattern.
The first name of the hill of this area was called Willoughby Hill.
From 1884 to 1890, Dr. J.H.C. Wiloughby was Saskatoon's first post master and first physician on the east side of the River until after providing medical assistance to Middleton's troops during the Riel Rebellion (Revolution). From 1885 to 1900 he departed to Regina. John Henry C. returned with his wife (Miss Hilliard) and homesteaded at Willoughby Hill. His homestead was Section 30 Township 36 Range 5 West of the 3rd Meridian, and his home was located at the present location of St. Paul's Hospital. Being that he was a physician, his home was one of the first hospitals of the City of Saskatoon. In 1903 he helped to establish the first telephone in the area. He also became one of Saskatoon's first city councillors from 1907–1908.
The boundaries of the Pleasant Hill community used to extend west of Avenue W to Circle Drive, but in the early 1990s the City of Saskatoon redrew many of its neighbourhood boundaries; as a result, the section west of Avenue W was renamed Meadowgreen.
There are 4,415 people living in the Pleasant Hill community area. The majority of homes in the Pleasant Hill Community are Multi Unit Dwellings. This area was first settled at the turn of the 20th century, age of homes are generally built before 1908 and typically sell between $58,995 and $68,269. Pleasant Hill has been a Vibrant Communities Partner since 2001 and benefits from various community developments by Quint Development Corporation and Children's Hunger and Education Project. In Pleasant Hill in 2006, the average household size was 2.2 and the homeownership was 25.5%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $186,367.
Government and politics
Provincially, the area is divided by 20th Street into two constituencies. The southern portion lies within the constituency of Saskatoon Riversdale. It is currently represented by Danielle Chartier of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party (NDP), first elected in a 2009 by-election. The northern portion lies within the constituency of Saskatoon Centre. It is currently represented by David Forbes of the NDP, first elected in a 2001 by-election.
- Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of St. George located at 222 Avenue M South and built by architect the Very Reverend Philip Ruh, O.M.I. in 1923
Potential heritage properties
- Nurses Residence, St. Paul's Hospital
- Pleasant Hill School
- The Bosnia Club
|Pleasant Hill Community School|
|215 Avenue S South
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7M 2Z9
|School board||Saskatoon Public School Division|
|Vice Principal||Julienne Buckle|
|Grades||Kindergarten to Grade 8|
|Feeder to||Mount Royal Collegiate|
|Website||Pleasant Hill Community School|
|St. Mary's Wellness and Education Centre|
|327 Avenue N South
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7M 2N2
|School board||Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools|
|Vice Principal||Andrew Novecosky|
|Grades||Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 8|
|Feeder to||E. D. Feehan High School|
|Website||St. Mary's Wellness and Education Centre|
- Pleasant Hill School - public elementary, part of the Saskatoon Public School Division
- St. Mary's Wellness and Education Centre - separate (Catholic) elementary, part of Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools
Saskatoon Light and Power provides electrical utilities to all Saskatoon neighbourhoods which existed prior to 1958. Water is treated and supplied by the City of Saskatoon Water and Wastewater Treatment Branch. St. Paul's Hospital is located in Pleasant Hill, Royal University Hospital is located in the University of Saskatchewan Land Management area, and Saskatoon City Hospital is located in City Park. The Saskatoon Police Service Headquarters location is within the Central Business District located at 130 4th Avenue North. The Central Division oversees the Central Business District, the Riversdale Business District, SIAST and nine other residential areas. Pleasant Hill is served by the City of Saskatoon Saskatoon Fire & Protective Services, Fire Hall number 1 and head office is located at 125 Idylwyld Drive South, Riversdale.
Parks and recreation
- D.L. Hamilton Park – 1.63 acres (6,600 m2)
- Fred Mendel Park – 12.63 acres (51,100 m2)
- Pleasant Hill Rec. Unit – 2.94 acres (11,900 m2)
- St. George's Park – 0.93 acres (3,800 m2)
- Grace Adam Metawewinihk Park – 1.02 acres (4,100 m2)
- Pleasant Hill Spray Paddling Pool
Pleasant Hill is serviced by the Saskatoon Transit bus routes #1, #2, #50 and #60. Route #5 also runs along Rusholme Road, a block north of the neighbourhood boundary.
Pleasant Hill Community Association provides leisure activities for various age groups and operates out of both Pleasant Hill School and St. Mary School.
Saskatchewan Music Educators has introduced drum circles entitled Circles of Peace in various schools, of which the Pleasant Hill Community School is one.
- Coolican, Lori. Saskatoon Star Phoenix, ed. Gov'ts pitch in for Pleasant Hill renewal. Saskatoon Star Phoenix newspaper Saturday February 3, 2007. p. 3.
- Saskatoon Neighbourhoods Word Search Puzzle accessed February 7, 2007
- City of Saskatoon Archives – City Councillors Dr. J. H. C. Willoughby, 1907–1908; 1910–1911 accessed February 7, 2007
- Search the database – Western Land Grants (1870–1930) – ArchiviaNet – Library and Archives Canada accessed February 7, 2007
- Selling an Idea or a Product accessed January 27, 2007
- Tamarack An Initiative for Community Engagement accessed January 26, 2007
- "Pleasant Hill". Saskatoon Realty. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- Current Members of Parliament, retrieved 2017-04-16
- Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan - Members of the Legislative Assembly, retrieved 2017-04-16
- City Councillors - Saskatoon.ca, retrieved 2017-04-16
- Saskatoon Heritage Society – Protected Churches accessed February 9, 2007
- The Very Reverend Philip Ruh, O.M.I. Priest, Architect and Builder of about 40 Ukrainian Catholic Churches accessed February 9, 2007
- Pleasant Hill Local Area Plan accessed January 26, 2007
- Active List of Saskatchewan Schools/Programs (PDF), retrieved 2016-11-28
- Celebrating a Century of Faith and Learning - A History of Saskatoon's Catholic Schools. Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. 2015. p. 206. ISBN 978-0-9947443-0-2.
- "Pleasant Hill School". Saskatoon Public School Division. Retrieved 2015-07-04.
- "St. Mary's Wellness and Education Centre". Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. Retrieved 2015-07-04.
- "City of Saskatoon · Departments · Utility Services · Saskatoon Light & Power". Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "City of Saskatoon Departments Utility Services Water Treatment". Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "Saskatoon Police Service". Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "Saskatoon Police Service". Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "City of Saskatoon · Departments · Fire and Protective Services". Archived from the original on 2008-03-21. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Leisure Services accessed January 26, 2007]
- World Buddhist Directory – Presented by BuddhaNet.Net accessed January 27, 2007
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Community ... accessed February 2, 2007
- Welcome to CIRCLE of PEACE: Building Community Through World accessed January 25, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pleasant Hill.|
- Local Area Planning
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Community
- Pleasant Hill Local Area Plan
- Saskatoon Neighbourhoods Word Search Puzzle
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Community ...
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · City Planning · ZAM Maps
- Populace Spring 2006