Location of Pukkila in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Juha Myyryläinen|
|• Total||145.94 km2 (56.35 sq mi)|
|• Land||145.04 km2 (56.00 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.9 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Area rank||321st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||288th largest in Finland|
|• Density||13.9/km2 (36/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||97.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||20.2%|
|• 15 to 64||62%|
|• 65 or older||17.8%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
Pukkila (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈpukkila]) (Swedish: Buckila) is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the Uusimaa region. The municipality has a population of 2,016 (30 November 2014) and covers an area of 145.94 square kilometres (56.35 sq mi) of which 0.9 km2 (0.35 sq mi) is water. The population density is 13.9 inhabitants per square kilometre (36/sq mi).
In 1962, a former villager, Onni Nurmi, bequeathed the village 760 shares in a company called Nokia - then chiefly known as a manufacturer of rubber workboots - on condition that the income be used for the benefit of the elderly and that the shares would never be sold. After a legal battle the shares have now been diversified and the income used to fund a welfare centre and services for the elderly.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Pukkila:
- Centre Party 41.2%
- True Finns 23.0%
- National Coalition Party 14.8%
- Social Democratic Party 11.1%
- Green League 4.2%
- Left Alliance 3.4%
- Christian Democrats 1.3%
- Swedish People's Party 0.3%
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.11.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- (in Finnish). Research Institute for the Languages of Finland http://kaino.kotus.fi/svenskaortnamn/?a=fabc&b=P&pos=100. Missing or empty
- "Nokia shares do not make Pukkila a paradise for the elderly", 5.12.2000,
- "Villagers lock horns over £25m Nokia windfall ", 19 November 2000, Andrew Osborn, The Observer
- 'Welfare Centre Onni ", L&M Sievänen Architects Ltd
- "Pukkila - paradise for senior citizens thanks to Nokia legacy", HELSINGIN SANOMAT, INTERNATIONAL EDITION
Media related to Pukkila at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pukkila – Official website