|Developer||Qisda OEM/ODM AUO Optronics|
|Operating system||Linux UI Engine QT embedded 4.5.1
OS: Linux 2.6.21
|CPU||Samsung S3C2416 ARM9 @ 400MHz|
|Memory||128 MB (MDDR),|
|Storage||Internal: 2GB (NAND)
|Display||9-inch (230 mm) SiPix|
|Graphics||1024 × 768, 150 ppi density,
16 levels of grayscale
|Sound||built-in speakers (0.5W)|
|Input||touchscreen, 7 keys|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi b/g, microUSB high speed, audio jack
Optional: 3.5G HSDPA
|Power||1530 mAh, 3.7 V|
|Dimensions||166.9 × 227.8 × 10.5 mm|
|Weight||487 gram (without Wi-Fi)|
Qisda ES900 provides a 16 levels of grayscale SiPix touchscreen display for viewing digital content. Pages are turned using the buttons on the device or touchscreen. The ES900 connects to the internet through available Wi-Fi connections. Users can read books without a wireless connection. Disconnecting the wireless connection can prolong the battery life.
- Linux 2.6.21
- > 10.000 pages (Wi-Fi off)
The device is sold world wide under various brand names.
- Taiwan: Asus Eee Reader DR900 / TZ900
- Asus Eee Reader DR900 / DR950
- bq Avant XL
Being that the hardware utilizes Linux-based software it can be changed or improved to the owners content. The firmware is labeled as “QT Software” and varies from vendor to vendor. The upgrade contains multiple image files with the .img extension, along with other system files.
Flashing to upgrade the firmware can be taken advantage of as it does not seem to check if the version that is being installed is older. Due to this, there is the possibility to use different vendors' firmwares on other models than the one they distribute for.
The devices seem to contain a native dual-boot capability. When a device specific key combination is pressed during power-on any linux-kernel + ramdisk combination is booted from the sd-card.
- "9 inch, 16 gray level, 2G Ebook Reader with Wi-Fi/Touch SiPix Solution". Media Federal Co., Ltd. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "9 inch Ebook Reader Device (AUO SiPix Solution)". Alibaba.com Hong Kong Ltd. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Asus. "Specifications Asus Eee Reader DR900". ASUSTeK Computer, Inc. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "bq Avant XL". Mundo Reader, S.L. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "oyo-hack/Booting". Retrieved 22 May 2011.