Limardo at the Masters épée 2012
August 3, 1985 |
Bolivar City, Bolívar, Venezuela
|Height||175 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
Rubén Dario Limardo Gascón (born August 3, 1985) is an épée fencer from Venezuela. Limardo won a gold medal for his native country at the 2012 Summer Olympics in the individual épée competition. Five years earlier, he won the gold medal in the individual épée competition at the 2007 Pan American Games. His younger brother, Francisco, also competes in fencing on the international level.
Limardo competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London winning a gold medal in the individual épée event at the ExCeL Exhibition Centre on 1 August, two days before his 27th birthday. He won the gold when he defeated Norway's Bartosz Piasecki 15–10 in the men's épée final, winning Venezuela's first ever fencing medal, and Latin America's first Olympic gold medal in épée in 108 years, after Ramón Fonst won the event in 1904.
Limardo earned Venezuela's second gold medal in any Olympic Games with the first being at the 1968 Summer Olympic Games when Francisco Rodríguez won gold as a boxer in the light flyweight division.
He competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in the individual épée and the team épée competition. In the individual event, he was defeated by Ayman Mohamed Fayez of Egypt during the round of 32. He was the flagbearer for Venezuela during the opening ceremony.
World Fencing Championships Budapest 2013
Limardo began fencing at the age of seven, encouraged by an uncle who had discovered the sport in Hungary. He was originally a right-handed foil fencer before injury caused him to switch both hand and weapon.
- "London Olympics: Venezuela win first gold since 1968". The Times of India. 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Venezuela wins first gold since 1968". Reuters. 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2012-08-02.[dead link]
- "Fencer Ruben Limardo returns to hero's welcome in Venezuela". NBC Olympics. 2012-08-07. Archived from the original on August 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Rio 2016". Rio 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "The Flagbearers for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony". 2016-08-16. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Ruben Limardo qualified to World Fencing Championship final". 2013-08-08. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "Ruben Limardo Biography". fie.org. FIE. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
|Flagbearer for Venezuela
Rio de Janeiro 2016
|This biographical article related to fencing in Venezuela is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Venezuelan Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|