South West Devon (UK Parliament constituency)
|South West Devon|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of South West Devon in Devon.
Location of Devon within England.
|Electorate||70,756 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Plympton, Plymstock and Ivybridge|
|Member of parliament||Gary Streeter (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||South Hams|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
1997-2010: The District of South Hams wards of Bickleigh and Shaugh, Brixton, Charterlands, Cornwood and Harford, Erme Valley, Ivybridge, Modbury, Newton and Noss, Sparkwell, Ugborough, Wembury, and Yealmpton, the City of Plymouth wards of Plympton Erle, Plympton St Mary, Plymstock Dunstone, and Plymstock Radford, and the Borough of West Devon ward of Buckland Monachorum.
2010-present: The District of South Hams wards of Bickleigh and Shaugh, Charterlands, Cornwood and Sparkwell, Erme Valley, Ivybridge Central, Ivybridge Filham, Ivybridge Woodlands, Newton and Noss, Wembury and Brixton, and Yealmpton, and the City of Plymouth wards of Plympton Chaddlewood, Plympton Erle, Plympton St Mary, Plymstock Dunstone, and Plymstock Radford.
The constituency is a south-western portion of Devon and includes the easternmost part of the city of Plymouth, namely the suburban small towns of Plympton (which as the borough constituency of Plympton Erle returned its own MPs until the Reform Act of 1832 abolished the seat as a 'rotten borough') and Plymstock which are so close as to be contiguous with the city's eastern parts, as well as the town of Ivybridge and much of the South Hams. Its landscape includes the edge of Dartmoor and a southern coastline.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Labour Co-op||Philippa Davey||15,818||29.9||+13.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Caroline Voaden||2,732||5.2||-2.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Tom Davies||3,767||7.5||-16.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Anna Pascoe||12,034||24.1||+0.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Judy Evans||11,765||24.1||+5.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Phil Hutty||8,616||18.4||-5.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Keith Baldry||12,542||23.8|
|Natural Law||Jon Hyde||159||0.3|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 2)
- "2017 General Election candidates in Devon". Devon Live. 11 May 2017. Archived from the original on 11 May 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "South West Devon results 2010". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "South West Devon". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.