Stephenville Air Station
|Stephenville Air Station|
|Part of Pinetree Line|
640th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron emblem
|Controlled by||Northeast Air Command|
Aerospace Defense Command
|Built by||United States Air Force|
Stephenville Air Station (ADC ID: N-23) is a closed General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 9.5 kilometres (5.9 mi) north-northwest of Stephenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It was closed in 1971.
The site was established in 1951 as a General Surveillance Radar station, built by the United States Air Force as part of the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.
USAF units and assignments
- 640th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
- 64th Air Division (NEAC), 1 September 1951
- 4731st Air Defense Group (ADC), 1 November 1957
- Goose Air Defense Sector, 6 June 1960
- 37th Air Division, 1 April 1966
- 21st Air Division, 31 March 1970 – 30 June 1971
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- Winkler, David F. (1997), Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War defense radar program. Prepared for United States Air Force Headquarters Air Combat Command.