Stoked (TV series)
|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Fresh TV|
|Original release||June 25, 2009– January 26, 2013|
Stoked (stylized as Stōked) is a Canadian animated series produced by Fresh TV that premiered on Teletoon on June 25, 2009 and ended on January 26, 2013. It formerly aired on Teletoon in Canada and ABC3 in Australia, and on Cartoon Network in the United States. The series is from the same creators as 6teen and the Total Drama series.
Stoked is a character driven animated situational comedy about a group of groms who come together one summer on legendary Surfer's Paradise Hotel, British Columbia, to experience the ultimate surfer's dream — the endless summer. Emma, Reef and Fin join locals Broseph, Lo, her brothers George and Ty, and Johnny to work at the world-renowned Surfer's Paradise Ridgemount Resort, stoked to have the summer of their lives. What they find instead - the worst jobs ever, hideous uniforms, zero respect, a run-down staff house, and a tacky, fake, kooksville resort. For twelve weeks, they will spend their first summer away from home and work the hardest that they have ever worked in their lives, but most importantly, they have the opportunity to surf on their days off.
- 16 years old, and the new surf instructor of the resort, he has dreamed of going to Sunset Beach all of his life and finally made it. Reef's nickname comes from a surfing trip to Australia where he wiped out and "ate coral". His first name is actually Leslie and he is not proud of this name. Reef is extremely competitive and will go out of his way to tease and trash-talk Fin since he secretly likes her (only the guys and Lo know about it). In the episode "Who Knows What Evil Lurks In The Heart Of Clam?" when Reef starts dating a girl to make Fin jealous, he ends up begging Fin to help him get rid of her because the girl turned out to be mentally unstable and he admitted that he only dated her to make Fin jealous. Reef also breaks many of Bummer's rules since he always wants to surf, which results in him being Andrew's least favourite employee. He is also vain and flirtatious and gets easily distracted by any good-looking girl. He wears a black and white T-shirt, navy blue shorts, and navy blue flip-flops and has a tribal tattoo on his right side of his chest. His board shorts are dark red like his surfboard. Reef has spiky auburn brown hair that he guards with his life, green eyes, and a muscular and tan body. He has also been proven to be scared of the dark and not very smart (as proven in "Grand Theft Whale Bus", when he did not know when 9:00 was). In the second season of Stoked, he dates Lo whom he thinks he loves, but does not think she is the ideal girlfriend because she mistreats him during their relationship. It is hinted in the intro that Reef and Fin end up as a couple together. He enjoys annoying Fin and knows she will eventually go out with him even though she refuses and acts like she hates him. Reef is voiced by Terry McGurrin (2009), and Jeff Geddis (2009-2013).
- Fin McCloud
- She is the ultimate surfer girl: tough, fun and laid back. She is totally into girl power, which is something she and Reef argue frequently about. Originally, Fin was going to be Sunset Beach's new surf instructor, but instead ended up stuck as a maid with a hideous uniform. She and Reef tend to get into fights; he believes that boys are better at surfing than girls, though Reef has a crush on Fin. Fin refers to Reef as a kook. Fin also seems to possibly have a secret crush on Reef that Lo and Emma know about, though Fin will never admit it. However, in "Boards of Glory" she admitted to Reef that he is "kinda" cute but nothing more. She has four brothers and one sister whose name is Sam. She built the website, crustyhotelrooms.com, to show all the rooms in the hotel that are disgustingly dirty. Rosie, a senior maid, is basically the vice-president of the site. Fin wears a light green sleeve-less shirt, white and green capri shorts, and white sneakers. She has a lavender tie-dye surfboard, and her bathing suit is a yellow and purple surfing top that has the Fresh TV inc. logo with a purple bikini bottom. She has moderately short blonde hair, blue eyes and a tanned and slim but fit build and is 16 years of age. She believes that women should not reveal their bodies so men can gawk at them by wearing bikinis that barely qualify as clothing, though ironically, she later reveals that she owns some bikinis that she says are revealing. In "Will the Real Broseph Please Stand Up", Fin reveals that she is a native of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Fin is voiced by Katie Crown. On March 10, 2009, Fresh TV started an official, in-character Twitter account for Fin, which has not been active since its last posting on April 25, 2011. In the intro, it is hinted that she and Reef end up as a couple, but he infuriates and annoys her. Overall she has a secret crush on him but is careful not to let it show.
- Emma is from Calgary, Alberta, and before coming to Sunset Beach she had never surfed before. Emma was intent on surfing as soon as she saw a surf movie with her older brothers. At the resort, she works as a waitress in the dining room. She has a nice and easy-going personality and gets along with people, and is sometimes quite naive. Emma has red hair, green eyes and wears a baby pink top with pink shorts and a pearl necklace. Her bikini is light pink, and her surfboard is hot pink with a flower imprinted on the sides. Starting from the first season in the early episodes, Emma develops a huge crush on Lo's brother Ty (Tyler) but does not come up with the chance to tell him this. Johnny is shown to have a mad crush on Emma, but she is oblivious to this, resulting in Johnny's desperate attempts to impress her, even though she does not realize this as well. She is portrayed to be clumsy as she drops plates and items numerous times. She is shown to be one of the girlier characters, and is into all the lovey-dovey girlfriend and boyfriend gossip. In the second season, she can't stand the sight of Ty going out with Kelly (an antagonist in the series who works in the Pirate Ship restaurant) and teams up with Lo to destroy their relationship. She establishes good surfing skills throughout the series and competes in Gromfest, but ends up finishing 49th out of fifty competitors in the girls' category. Nevertheless, she was proud of this achievement as she wasn't placed last. Emma is voiced by Kristin Fairlie.
- He is a chilled-out local surfer, with wisdom that is not seen by many and is a loyal friend. When he notices Emma is sad about her awful first day, he teaches her how to surf. Broseph is also known to use certain things to his advantage, as seen in "Board and Confused", when he bribed Johnny with discounts at his mom's surf shop and having some of her famous jambalaya in exchange for light or no hazing. His name is a portmanteau of Bro and Joseph, also with a connection to the term Brosef, which is Hawaiian slang meaning "bro". His hair has a hammerspace quality to it, pulling out objects that should not be able to fit inside, such as a huge submarine sandwich. Broseph is 16 and wears a blue gym shirt, white shorts, and brown flip-flops. His swimsuit looks like his shorts too. In the first episode it is revealed that instead of needing a job like most employees, he chooses to work there willingly instead of working at his mother's surf shop, claiming he needed a change of scenery. His job now is being a bellhop. Broseph believes that surfing should be done for the thrills, instead of surfing for publicity and fame. He doesn't believe in competition, which leads people to believe that he is a true surfer. Broseph's voice actor is Mazin Elsadig.
- Lauren "Lo" Ridgemount, the daughter of the resort's owner, Lo's life has been that of a spoiled princess. However, after having an out-of-control party so big that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and local news station got involved, her dad comes up with the ultimate punishment for her: get a job at the resort (also preventing her from staying in the penthouse, and forbidding her to use her credit card in the process). Now with none of the luxuries of being a rich girl, she has to spend the summer in uniform and living in the staff house. She has since been trying to show her dad how responsible she is so he will let her move back into the penthouse. She has occupied several jobs throughout the two seasons. She is currently a housekeeper, having previously been a babysitter and a waitress. Although people think badly of Lo, especially her queen bee supervisor Kelly, she helped Emma get her job back in one episode, which shows (at least in the first season) she is not always a spoiled rich girl who only cares about herself. Having lived her whole life with no form of responsibility, Lo has no idea how the real world works. As a result, she has tendencies to leave work, thinking everything will be alright. She is good friends with Emma, but she knows that Emma has a huge crush on her older brother Ty, and Lo tries to make Emma move on to someone else instead of Ty. She also gets along well with Fin, despite their differences, and knew Johnny and Broseph as they are locals like her. After she gets stuck babysitting a bunch of brats that drive her crazy, Bummer assigns Lo as a permanent child sitter on certain days along with her regular job in the "D.R.". She wears a yellow Hawaiian dress and purple flip-flops. Her hair is long and brown with a purple flower hair clip. Her bikini is white with purple lining and her surfboard is yellow and purple. Lo is 15, the youngest of the main characters, and although she has not been seen surfing in many episodes, she has proven to be a very good surfer. It is hinted that Lo has a crush on Reef. She and Reef start dating in season 2 but by the end of episode 36 "Hunka Hunka Burning Reef", she ended her relationship with Reef. In a major continuity error however, she and Reef are inexplicably still dating in episode 39, "Clinging in the Rain" (with the storyline treating the relationship as if it never ended), but in episode 52, "Grom Fest", she ends the relationship with Reef for good and seems to be interested in Broseph. Despite her spoiled lifestyle, she has displayed (particularly in "The Day the Sea Stood Still") that she values her friends and is truly a grom at heart. She is voiced by Anastasia Phillips.
- He works at the front desk of the hotel. He befriends the group and even helps Emma keep her job by changing her evaluation scores. He worked at the Resort last summer, so he knows the ropes. Johnny also has a huge crush on Emma, which only Reef and Broseph know about, but due to her own crush for Ty, every time Johnny does or says something romantic to her, she is oblivious to his advances and mentions how Ty would love what Johnny just described. His crush on her may have ended in "Endless Bummer" when he discovered he was Emma's second choice. Johnny has a blue surfboard (actually Broseph's) and a navy blue and orange wetsuit. His normal outfit is a yellow shirt almost exactly like his work shirt, light yellow shorts, and black sneakers. Known by the groms as "Johnny Front Desk Guy" in the earliest episodes, he is very helpful to them and occasionally tells them advice when they are in a jammed situation. Johnny is the least fit of the six main characters and 17, the oldest of the main characters. Johnny is voiced by Arnold Pinnock.
Tyler "Ty" Ridgemount: Lo's 17-year-old brother who also surfs. He has no clue of Emma's massive crush on him, even though it is very obvious. He has a hobby of recording surf videos and wishes to make a career out of it. He is portrayed to be an exceptionally skilled surfer. At first he could not remember Emma's name, though he makes up for it later. Despite Emma's many mistakes [spying on him and his date at the theaters, spilling her drink on his date, showing "The Office" to a kook who later brings friends, and spitting a marshmallow in his eye], he does not get angry with Emma and is very patient and forgiving with her which might be signs that he may have some sort of feelings for her but it is not strongly stated. He also is close friends with the seniors. He and Kelly were dating until Ty found out (via Emma and Lo) that she was just using him to get to his family's money. Near the end of season 2, he and Kelly break up, resulting in a very angry Kelly, and a very happy Emma. Ty is 5 foot 10 (as estimated by Emma), has light brown hair, purple eyes and is tan. He is normally seen wearing green board shorts and a cream coloured T-shirt. He's your typical hot and hunky but polite type of guy. Unlike Reef, he's not a womaniser and prefers to keep things natural with the ladies. Ty is voiced by Jamie Spilchuk.
George Ridgemount: Lo and Ty's 10-year-old younger brother. He once burned down their boat house and has a pet spider named Shania Twain. He likes getting Lo in trouble. He is seen to have crushes on girls far older than he is and is selfish. In one episode (Waves of Cheese), it is shown that he does know how to surf. George is very cunning and cheeky, and often spends his time tormenting and playing practical jokes on Lo. He's shown to wear a light white top with blue board shorts, and has light blonde hair and purple eyes, resembling a miniature form of his older brother Ty. He is voiced by Gage Munroe.
Grommet: Grommet only appears in a few episodes. He is usually with George, being best friends. Grommet looks like a younger version of Broseph but it is unknown if they are related. In "Hang 9", he helps George get revenge on Lo for telling an older girl that he likes her. Grommet is usually quiet and mysterious. In another episode, he replaces Broseph as bellhop when Broseph wants to surf "El Dudarino", a wave that only comes once every 20 years. Even though Grommet doesn't talk at all during the series and that he looks like Broseph when he was younger, Bummer thinks it is Broseph who is working when it is actually Grommet. In "Waves of Cheese" it is shown that Grommet knows how to surf when he and George paddle out past Emma and Finn.
Ripper: A friend of the group and a soul surfer, he tends to make people laugh with his gas (hence his nickname), although the group just thinks that it is disgusting. He is best friends with Lance and Broseph and is occasionally ridiculed because of his blue hair. He also has very dark blue eyes and speaks with a heavy Australian accent. His ultimate dream is to become the world's best surfer. He is shown to usually be laid-back but is also very serious when it comes to certain things. Ripper works in water sports with Lance and Reef. He is returning staff from last year and is 17. He also happens to be a prankster, and because of that, he acts as an antagonist for Reef. In season 2, Ripper and Lance get up to mischief, resulting in Emma injuring her knee. Seeing this, Ripper blows on her grazed knee to sooth the pain, which Emma found quite nice of him to do. This leads to Emma and Ripper dating, but for a brief period. Ripper is voiced by Sergio Di Zio.
"No Pants" Lance: He is another of the returning staff and Ripper's best friend, and is normally the accomplice of Ripper when they get up to mischief. They think much the same, despite the fact that they are physical opposites. Lance has very short brown hair, brown eyes, and always wears swimming trunks, earning him his nickname. He is 17 and works at the water sports with Ripper and Reef as a life guard and possibly at the golf course, as shown in one episode where he is driving a resort golf cart. He is voiced by Corey Doran.
Kelly: A bossy, selfish, snobbish, and possibly sadistic girl and the secondary antagonist of the series who leads the staff seniors in their harassment and intimidation towards the groms. When the groms passed hazing initiation, she was the only staff member not to be impressed. She does not surf and instead loves to give Lo and Emma a hard time working as waitresses. She works as a dining room waitress and is Emma and Lo's immediate supervisor. She secretly seems to care about Emma (at least in the beginning), as shown in the episode "Penthouse of Horror". In "Charging Into the Night", she was tricked into going on a blind date with Bummer, resulting in her forcing him to pay for her meal and making it clear that she was miserable being stranded on the waterfront with him. In "Grand Theft Whale Bus", she is also shown to dislike Rosie. She later becomes a social-climbing gold digger when, knowing that Ty Ridgemount is Lo's brother and that Emma has a crush on him, she asks Ty out on a date and kisses up to his and Lo's parents purely to spite both Lo and Emma, who have tried in vain so far to expose Kelly and her true motivations to Ty and the rest of Lo's family. She is voiced by Lauren Lipson.
Rosie: She is a 35-year-old maid at Surfer's Paradise. While she apparently is not the head of Housekeeping (as the Head Housekeeper would not regularly clean rooms), she seems to have seniority or be at least the maid with the most experience. Also, according to Lo, Rosie has known her since she was a baby. In "Grand Theft Whale Bus", she has a distaste in Kelly for her snobbery. She is voiced by Fiona Reid.
Wipeout: Dressed in a purple orca costume, Wipeout poses as the resort's mascot, carrying around a portable stereo and dancing to greet visitors. His job is thankless however, as he gets little respect among peers and has been known to get left behind by the resort's tour bus. Wipeout's real face or body without the orca costume has yet to be seen. He is voiced by Sergio Di Zio.
Andrew "Bummer" Baumer: The day manager of the resort and the main antagonist of the show, he is stern and strict with the workers below him. His main ambition is his career, and besides Johnny he is one of the only characters to show any sense of responsibility. He is scared of Mr. Ridgemount and cares little about the employees. Reef and Broseph refer to him as a selfish dork. In order to surf at night, the groms had set him up on a blind date with Kelly (though both were enraged to be paired together) indicating that he is a young adult not much older than she is. He hates Reef the most out of all the employees. He is voiced by Cory Doran, who also voices Captain Ron.
Mr. Ridgemount: He is the owner of the resort and is the head of the Ridgemount Hotel chain of which Surfer's Paradise is the flagship property. Normally, very little of his face is seen; though in "Penthouse of Horror" all except his intimidating eyes were visible revealing that he resembles Coach Halder from 6teen. He always wears a black suit and is the father of Lo, Ty, and George. In "Another Grom Bites the Dust", Mr. Ridgemount mentions that his first job was working as a golf caddy; a possible reference to Caddyshack, a movie with which Stoked shares the theme of being about teenagers with lousy summer jobs waiting on rich people. He is voiced by Jamie Watson.
Mrs. Ridgemount: She is Lo, George, and Ty's mother and a stereotypical trophy wife, although in a near death experience, Mr. Ridgemount flashbacks to them both being highschool or college sweethearts. She acts just like Lo, shirking responsibilities and accustomed to living the life of luxury. She also resembles Lo a few years into the future. She has Lo's back when trying to get Mr. Ridgemount to lighten up. She is voiced by Emilie-Claire Barlow.
The Kahuna: He is a very friendly person whose laid back personality resembles that of a flower child. He has an orange beard and vaguely resembles a younger George Carlin. Displaying numerous job talents, he appears to be a Jack of all trades, master of none. Among his many jobs and hobbies, he is the resort's tour bus driver, the owner of a movie theater specifically for surf flicks where he accepts anything as currency, is an avid taxidermist, and was seen making sandals out of palm trees. He has also been involved in some of the stranger events of the series, such as unknowingly reviving a fish stick as a revenge-crazed zombie.
Mark and Todd Marvin: Twin brothers who are guests at the resort. They are rambunctious children who get on everyone's nerves. They never listen to the employees and apparently do not want to surf, evident when Andrew gives them free surf lessons. They also seem to enjoy kicking Reef in the groin for fun.
Mr. & Mrs. Marvin: They are the parents of Mark and Todd, who frequently allow their children to run wild and engage in destructive behavior in the hotel, are very defensive for them, and think that the staff enjoys babysitting their unruly children. They either do not know what to do or are in denial of their children's behavior. However, in "Waves of Cheese", they were chastised by Johnny for their terrible parenting.
Sonny and Buster: A shark and a yellow tang who are two fish that reside in the Lobbyquarium. Buster is friendly and dimwitted, although he tries to be non-violent, and can have a mean streak. Sonny speaks with a New York accent, and makes bets with other fish in the aquarium.
|Season||Episodes||Canadian air date|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||June 25, 2009||June 3, 2010|
|2||26||September 16, 2010||January 26, 2013|