1976 LP album cover
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||August 1976 at the Audio Studios, Berlin, Germany.|
|Tangerine Dream chronology|
|Christgau's Record Guide||C|
The LP reached No.39 in the UK, in a 4-week chart run, and eventually reached silver status for selling in excess of 60,000 copies (£100,000+).
Stratosfear combines Tangerine Dream's acoustic and electronic influences more tightly than before. For instance, at the end of the last track, "Invisible Limits", the deep piano/flute tune reveals the album's romantic flavour even after the earlier predominantly synthetic compositions (tracks #1 to last part of track #4). It was Peter Baumann's last studio album with the group.
The album marks the beginning of the band's development away from their uncompromising early 1970s synthesizer experiments toward a recognisably more melodic sound, a trend they would pick up again in 1979's Force Majeure. The title track "Stratosfear" has been played live many times and has been released in a re-mixed form on a number of other albums.
Reviewing in Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies (1981), Robert Christgau said "I respect their synthesizer textures in theory, but these guys should leave the accessibility to Kraftwerk. When they program in received semiclassical melodies and set the automatic drummer on 'bouncy swing,' the result is the soundtrack for a space travelogue you don't want to see."
|2.||"The Big Sleep in Search of Hades"||4:45|
|1.||"3 AM at the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee"||8:10|
- Chris Franke – Moog synthesizer, organ, percussion, loop mellotron, harpsichord
- Edgar Froese – mellotron, Moog synthesizer, twelve and six string guitar, grand piano, bass guitar, mouth organ
- Peter Baumann – Moog synthesizer, Project electronic rhythm computer, Fender electric piano, mellotron
A single was released in 1976 with excerpts from two tracks.
|2.||"The Big Sleep in Search of Hades"||3:50|
- Bush, John. Stratosfear - Tangerine Dream at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: T". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved 15 March 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Berling, Michael (29 September 2016). "Stratosfear". Voices in the Net.
- Kirkman, Jon. Tangerine Dream Official Web-Radio. Event occurs at 32:30.
- Berling, Michael (29 September 2016). "Stratosfear/The Big Sleep in Search of Hades". Voices in the Net.
|This electronic music album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|