October 7, 1979 |
Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Nationality||Dual: Canadian and Russian|
|Dramacon, Nightschool, and Awkward|
|Awards||Joe Shuster Comics for Kids Award, Dwayne McDuffie Award for Kids' Comics|
Svetlana Chmakova (Russian: Светлана Шмакова) (born October 7, 1979) is a Russian and Canadian comic artist. She is best known for Dramacon, an original English-language (OEL) manga spanning three volumes and published in North America by Tokyopop. Her other original work includes Nightschool and Awkward for Yen Press. She has been nominated for an Eisner Award twice. Previously, she created The Adventures of CG for CosmoGIRL! magazine and the webcomic Chasing Rainbows for Girlamatic. Though born in Russia, she immigrated to Canada, where she graduated from the Sheridan College Classical Animation program, in 2002. She then began to publish her manga on the Internet.
Body of work
Dramacon is Chmakova's first full-length comic, telling the story of Christie Leroux, an aspiring teenage comics writer, and her experiences at her first anime convention. She attends the convention with her artist boyfriend Derek Hollman, but soon finds herself attracted to a mysterious, sun-glassed cosplayer named Matt Green.
At New York Comic Con on October 10, 2014, Yen Press announced that they would be publishing Awkward, a new original comic by Chmakova. Brave, a sequel to Awkward, was announced on April 25, 2016.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution described Dramacon as "surprisingly true-to-life (and occasionally harrowing) emotional drama and humor ... Creator Svetlana Chmakova doesn't skimp on character development or plot progression. Her art is top-notch as well, outstripping even many of her Japanese inspirations with clear storytelling and polished technique."
Dramacon was nominated for an Eisner Award in 2007.
Awkward was named as one of School Library Journal's Top 10 Graphic Novels of 2015. It was also named by YALSA on their list of the 2016 Great Graphic Novels for Teens. Amanda M. Vail of The Mary Sue said "it needs to be on the shelves of every school and public library."
|2000||Yoriko, Maiden of the First Fire||Kat And Neko Manga|
|2005-2007||The Adventures of CG||CosmoGIRL!|
|2005||Dramacon volume 1||Tokyopop||978-1-59816-129-8|
|2006||Dramacon volume 2||Tokyopop||978-1-59816-130-4|
|2007||Dramacon volume 3||Tokyopop||978-1-59816-131-1|
|2008||"On The Importance Of Space Travel"||Ballantine Books||978-0-345-50589-7||Appears as a short story in volume 5 of Flight|
|2009||Nightschool volume 1||Yen Press||978-0-7595-2859-8||Originally appeared in Yen Plus|
|2009||Nightschool volume 2||Yen Press||978-0-7595-2860-4||Originally appeared in Yen Plus|
|2010||"Red Maple Leaves"||Penguin Books||978-0-6700-6849-4||Appears as an illustrated chapter in Piece by Piece by Teresa Toten|
|2010||Nightschool volume 3||Yen Press||978-0-7595-2861-1||Originally appeared in Yen Plus|
|2010||Nightschool volume 4||Yen Press||978-0-316-09126-8||Originally appeared in Yen Plus|
|2011||Witch and Wizard||Yen Press||978-0-316-11989-4||Manga adaptation of the novel by James Patterson|
|2012||Witch and Wizard: The Gift||Yen Press||978-0-316-11991-7||Manga adaptation of the novel by James Patterson|
|2013||Witch and Wizard: The Fire||Yen Press||978-0-316-11984-9||Manga adaptation of the novel by James Patterson|
|2015||Awkward||Yen Press||978-0-316-38130-7 (paperback)
|2016||The Art Adventures of Mr. Raccoon||self-published||Coloring book|
|2016||Brave||Yen Press||978-0-316-36318-1 (paperback)
- Nadine (2016-06-20). "Awkward Wins the McDuffie Award for Kids' Comics!". Yen Press. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "2007 Eisner Nominations announced". Comic Book Resources. 2007-04-19. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "2016 Eisner Award Nominees". Comic-Con International: San Diego. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- Mangaka America: Manga by America's Hottest Artists. Harper Collins. 2006. ISBN 978-0-06-113769-3.
- Flight Volume Five. Ballantine Books. 2008. ISBN 978-0345505897.
- Reid, Calvin (2007-02-24). "Yen Press to Launch with New Chmakova; Licensed Manga". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2007-03-02. Archived March 5, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Deb Aoki [debaoki] (2014-10-10). ".@yenpress at #NYCC14 - "awkward" by @svetlania - a "sweet & cute" tale about a pair of middle school kids - 2015" (Tweet). Retrieved 2016-02-12.
- "'Brave!' by Svetlana Chmakova". ICv2. 2016-04-25. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- Sampson, Khari J. (2005-11-26). "Graffiti: WORDS AND PICTURES: U.S. creator dazzles". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. p. 2FE.
- "Top 10 Graphic Novels 2015". School Library Journal. 23 November 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "YALSA names 2016 Great Graphic Novels for Teens". Young Adult Library Services Association. 15 January 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Vail, Amanda M. (20 June 2015). "Svetlana Chmakova’s Awkward is Anything But, and You Need to Read It". The Mary Sue. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Comics". Svetlana Chmakova. Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- "Chasing Rainbows page 1". Girlamatic. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- "Chasing Rainbows page 98". Girlamatic. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- "Night Silver". Wirepop. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- Memmott, Carol (July 6, 2005). "Japanese manga takes humongous step". USA TODAY, Pg. 4D.
- (Russian) Article about Chmakova