Pick in 2009
3 October 1949
|Education||Conservatory of Ramat Gan|
(m. 1970; div. 1995)
|Partner(s)||Shira Manor (2004–present)|
|Children||5, including Daniella Pick|
Henryk Pick was born in Wrocław, Poland, to a Jewish family. His parents are Boris and Paulina Pick. His grandfather was the head of a conservatory, and his uncle was a music professor. At the age of 5, Pick studied classical music. In 1957, his family moved to Israel (aliyah.) Pick studied music at the Conservatory of Ramat Gan, and started to perform in local rock bands at the age of 15.
Pick was one of Israel's leading pop singers in the 1970s, during which he was voted "Israeli male singer of the Year." He played a lead part in the Hebrew version of the musical Hair in the early 1970s.
In 1998 Pick wrote the song "Diva" with lyricist Yoav Ginai and performed by Dana International, which won the Eurovision Song Contest. He also wrote songs for several other Eurovision contestants. In 2002 he reunited with Ginai to write the "Light a Candle" for Sarit Hadad, who represented Israel in Eurovision 2002. That year, Habima Theater staged a musical called Mary Lou based on Pick's old hits. In 2009, this musical was made into the television series Tamid Oto Chalom (or Mary Lou), directed by Eytan Fox.
In 2003 he composed the song "Hasta la Vista" with Shem-Or, to whom he was married at the time, for Oleksandr Ponomaryov, Ukrainian entrant in Eurovision 2003. He also wrote a song for the Belarusian contestant of Eurovision 2005 Angelica Agurbash, but she later decided on a different one, acknowledging Pick for his effort. He competed seven times in the Israeli preselection for the Eurovision Song Contest. In 2010, he composed an entry for Harel Skaat for Israel, and for Sopho Nizharadze for Georgia.
In 2005, Pick starred in the docu-reality series HaMaestro that aired on Bip, and followed the daily lives of him and his family.
In 2009, the musical drama series Tamid Oto Chalom aired on HOT 3. Pick's songs were used for its title and soundtrack, and he even guest starred in one of the episodes.
In 1970, Pick married Israeli songwriter Mirit Shem-Or. Shem-Or wrote the lyrics for many of Pick's hits, including "Mary Lou", which was about herself. In 1995 they got divorced, yet continue to collaborate artistically. They have a son and two daughters. Two of Pick's daughters, Sharona (born 1980) and Daniella (born 1983), have performed music duos as The Pick Sisters. Since 2004, he is in a relationship with Israeli fashion designer Shira Manor, and together they have two sons.
One of Pick's daughters, Daniella Pick, is married to American filmmaker Quentin Tarantino. His other daughter, Sharona Pick, is married to Israeli hotelier Daniel Federmann, son of billionaire Michael Federmann.
Eurovision Song Contest entries
- "Diva" by Dana International, Israel, (Eurovision Song Contest 1998), 1st place
- "Light a Candle" by Sarit Hadad, Israel, (Eurovision Song Contest 2002), 12th place
- "Hasta la Vista" by Oleksandr Ponomaryov, Ukraine, (Eurovision Song Contest 2003), 14th place
Entries in national Eurovision pre-selections
- "Artik Kartiv" by Tzvika Pick (Israel 1993), 7th place
- "Moonlight" by Tzvika Pick (Israel 2005), 3rd place
- "Lifney SheNifradim" by Tzvika Pick (Israel 2006), 4th place
- "Sing My Song" by Sopho Nizharadze, (Georgia 2010)
- "צביקה פיק". Ishim.co.il. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- קוטנר, יואב. "צביקה פיק". Mooma.mako.co.il (in Hebrew). Archived from the original on 2017-11-10.
- CD Baby: ORIGINAL ISRAELI CAST: Hair – In Hebrew Archived 2009-02-20 at the Wayback Machine
- "Fantastic Mr. Fox - Arts & Culture - Jerusalem Post". Jpost.com. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- [dead link]
- "The Pick Sisters lyrics". Lyricstranslate.com. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- ""נולדתי להיות אמא"". Yediolt.co.il. 7 June 2016. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- Michallon, Clemence (November 29, 2018). "Quentin Tarantino marries Daniella Pick in Los Angeles". The Independent. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
| Eurovision Song Contest winning composers