|Historic range of big-leaf mahogany in South America|
|Current range of big-leaf mahogany in South America|
Swietenia macrophylla, commonly known as mahogany, Honduran mahogany, Honduras mahogany, big-leaf mahogany, or West Indian mahogany, is a species of plant in the Meliaceae family. It is one of three species that yields genuine mahogany timber, the others being Swietenia mahagoni and Swietenia humilis. It is native to South America and Mexico, but naturalized in Singapore and Hawaii, and cultivated in plantations and wind-breaks elsewhere.
Unlike mahogany sourced from its native locations, plantation mahogany grown in Asia is not restricted in trade. The mahogany timber grown in these Asian plantations is the major source of international trade in genuine mahogany today. The Asian countries which grow the majority of Swietenia macrophylla are India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Fiji, Philippines, Singapore, and some others, with India and Fiji being the major world suppliers. The tree is also planted in Laos PDR.
The species is also known under other common names, including bastard mahogany, broad-leaved mahogany, Brazilian mahogany, large-leaved mahogany, genuine mahogany, tropical American mahogany, and sky fruit, among others.
- English - big leaf mahogany, large-leaved mahogany, Brazilian mahogany
- French - Mahogani grands feuilles
- Spanish - caoba, mara, mogno
- Malayalam - mahagony
- Telugu - mahagani, peddakulamaghani
- Sinhala - mahogani (මහෝගනි)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Swietenia macrophylla.|
- "The Plant List: A Working List of All Plant Species". Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "USDA GRIN Taxonomy". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Swietenia macrophylla". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- Free, Chris (2012). "Home". SwietKing.ofrg. SwietKing Research. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- Elevitch, C.R.; Wilkinson, K.M. (2000), Agroforestry Guides for Pacific Islands, Permanent Agriculture Resources, p. 57, ISBN 9780970254405
- Flowers of India: Big-leaf mahogany