Talk:George T. Reynolds
|George T. Reynolds has been listed as one of the Natural sciences good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.
Review: October 17, 2013. ( ).
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from George T. Reynolds appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 14 September 2013 (check views). The text of the entry was as follows: "Did you know
- This review is transcluded from Talk:George T. Reynolds/GA1. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the review.
If there are no objections, I'll take this review. I'll note at the outset I've had no role in editing or creating this article. I welcome other editors at any state to contribute to this review. I will spend a day familiarising myself with the article and then provide an assessment. Kind regards, LT910001 (talk) 10:04, 15 October 2013 (UTC)
|1. Well written:|
|1a. the prose is clear and concise, and the spelling and grammar are correct.||Prose clear and concise|
|1b. it complies with the manual of style guidelines for lead sections, layout, words to watch, fiction, and list incorporation.||Yes|
|2. Verifiable with no original research:|
|2a. it contains a list of all references (sources of information), presented in accordance with the layout style guideline.||Yes|
|2b. all in-line citations are from reliable sources, including those for direct quotations, statistics, published opinion, counter-intuitive or controversial statements that are challenged or likely to be challenged, and contentious material relating to living persons—science-based articles should follow the scientific citation guidelines.|
|2c. it contains no original research.|
|3. Broad in its coverage:|
|3a. it addresses the main aspects of the topic.|
|3b. it stays focused on the topic without going into unnecessary detail (see summary style).|
|4. Neutral: it represents viewpoints fairly and without editorial bias, giving due weight to each.|
|5. Stable: it does not change significantly from day to day because of an ongoing edit war or content dispute.|
|6. Illustrated, if possible, by images:|
|6a. images are tagged with their copyright status, and valid fair use rationales are provided for non-free content.|
|6b. images are relevant to the topic, and have suitable captions.|
|7. Overall assessment.|
Firstly, thanks for contributing in major part to this article on Wikipedia. This article contains a history about an interesting historical figure. In particular, I think the lede does a good job of summarising the article and his notability. I do not however believe the article meets the GA criteria at the current time, as it is not broad enough. I'm happy to wait for improvements and continue the review in a reasonable timespan. LT910001 (talk) 10:45, 16 October 2013 (UTC)
Some questions that were raised relating to broadness when reading included:
- What was his upbringing and/or early education like? (not expecting an essay, but there is a gap between his birth and graduation)
- Was there a particular reason he didn't enlist in the Manhatton Project?
- I mean, he had a degree in physics and a PhD, and was directly offered a job. He may have aspired to join the Navy, but was there a particular reason he turned down this offer? This article is certainly broad enough to meet GA status, so this comment will not hold up the promotion. LT910001 (talk) 07:37, 17 October 2013 (UTC)
- What was his work ethic, beliefs and influences?
- At what date did he enter the navy?
- Did he make any significant contributions to the Los Alamos Manhattan Project? (papers, theory-wise)
- He helped design the implosion lenses,
- What role did he play in Project Alberta?
- Did his interest in cosmic rays eventuate in any scientific advances?
- In the Center for Environmental Studies and his studies of bioluminescence, did he, or under his stewardship, any advances or research occur?
Some other specific comments include:
- Some subjects that could do with a one or half-sentence introduction include: Project Alberta (what is it?), the Port Chicago disaster (what is it?), Ronald Rau from Caltech and Joseph Ballam (why are they noted here?), organic crystal scintillators (a short description),
- Added some sentences.
- As a primary reviewer of medical articles, it would be nice to know what type of cancer he passed away from. This isn't necessary to pass the GA review.
- Is the name of his first son "G. Thomas"?
Thank you for your (extremely!) prompt edits. I find this article to match the GARC in being well-written and broad, neutral and well-sourced, and without any outstanding issues. I have updated the table above and will make the required changes to promote to GA status shortly. Well done and I wish you well on your wiki-travels. LT910001 (talk) 07:37, 17 October 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on George T. Reynolds. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20131016121926/http://www.petervogel.us/lastwave/chapters/LastWave_Ch16.pdf to http://www.petervogel.us/lastwave/chapters/LastWave_Ch16.pdf
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.