Talk:List of video game developers
Many of these companies are in the Category:Computer companies of the united states. Personally, when I look at that category, I'm not expecting to see game companies. This list is much more appropriate grouping. How do people feel about removing the game companies from the aforementioned category? Dyl 20:37, Aug 11, 2004 (UTC)
Wouldn't have a problem with that, so long as they're interlinked clearly, like this list and the "list of game manufacturers". I'd also suggest removing the defunct ones, and just making sure they're all added to Category:Defunct_video_game_companies instead.--DewiMorgan 22:29, 21 September 2007 (UTC)
Lots of missing console companies
Lots of missing console companies such as Gust (made docens of great jrpgs that were ported to occident) or Acquire (makers of Tenchu, Shinobido, and Way of the Samurai, all outstanding classics that are still alive) (they port games here from japan, its not like im talking about jrpg games that never leave japan), or the companies that made GEB or MonHun, i cant remember which companies they were right now, but those are major titles. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 23:20, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
why is ther FusionGames.com listed as a company in "F" section (and its not even placed right) FusionGames.com is a game STORE not maker or compani —Preceding unsigned comment added by EPIC MASTER (talk • contribs) 16:14, 10 December 2007 (UTC)
Added a new column
I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to start adding a new column to the page, displaying the role of the company in the industry. This gives people a better idea of what the company actually does. So far in this list I've used categories:
- Video game publisher
- Video game developer
- Video game engine developer
- Console developer
But I think that there are probably chances in the list to use the following, as they still have something to do with the industry:
- Video game retailer
- Console accessory manufacturer
Also, I would argue that the defunct companies should not be removed, because they are still a video game company and to me this article is about providing all the companies in one place, although I don't think it would be a bad idea to add a "defunct or not?" style column. This page will eventually get to be a featured article through our efforts!
- I think it's best to work this off somewhat strategically.
- I would first complete/clean-up the list of game developer, console developer and game publisher, the active ones.
- Then we can add the defunct ones, maybe just put a note there when it's defunct.
- The retailers and accessory manufacturers (how about media?) I would wait with untill we have the above filled in. GameLegend (talk) 22:54, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
Dates on the Article
I think that some degree of consistency should be kept regarding the dates - that is to say a year and a year only. Not a month and a year, or a date and a year, just a year. If you disagree, state why I'm wrong and change it back. ShmenonPie - You wanna slice of me? (talk) 19:48, 14 March 2008 (UTC)
Do you think we should add the state to the location, I'm trying to find out which ones are in Washington, and it's difficult, especially if a company is in a city that's not well-known city. Maybe I'll start adding states, but could other people help out please? Adam (talk) 02:20, 22 March 2008 (UTC)
- What I've done is link to the appropiate Wikipedia article to begin with. Since Wikipedia is an international website, and not a US-one, the states are of no importance in this list. Just link to the right article, which includes the state anyway, and use only the city name here in this list. GameLegend (talk) 00:06, 4 May 2008 (UTC)
This is sort of a mess.
This list is sort of a mess. I would prefer to see it broken out by role, so there would be List of video game publishers (I see this already exists and is probably more comprehensive than this list is currently) and List of video game developers, and possibly other lists. This "list of companies" article would be a disambig. The list is going to get tremendously huge when people get around to adding all the little video game companies that have existed over time.
There should be minimum criteria for inclusion. Do we include as a "video game company" an art house like Blur Studio which creates in-game cinematics for video games? (This is another reason to have role-specific lists like the above; Blur is clearly not a developer or publisher.) 42 Entertainment is on here, though they have never developed or published a video game. What exactly is a "video game company"?
I think the list should have a column called "Status", or, more amusingly, "Fate", with terms in it like "Active", "Acquired by Vivendi Games in 1999", "Merged with Blizzard in 2008", etc. "Fate" could be much more complicated - how do we discuss the fate of Atari in 5 words? - but we could again be amusing and say "It's Complicated", just to fit in the table, and give a footnote to explain. Tempshill (talk) 17:39, 28 April 2009 (UTC)
- I am
in the process of doingthat right now. This list also needs publisher and indies moved first. See VG talk. — 12:52, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
- FYI, the pages have been by large sorted now.— 14:42, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
Hi, do we really need those little blips of colour crowding out one collumn? Some readers will find them irritating. They add no information, since the countries are already included. Tony (talk) 02:47, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
Separation on city and country
Do we need to separate the city and country into two columns? I would advise against due to already limited horizontal space. Many devices do not support wide resolutions and nothing is more misaligned than wide tables. On the other hand, it does help with sorting by country. I am not going to revert the edit that added these, rather bringing this to the talk page first. — HELLKNOWZ ▎TALK 16:34, 28 June 2011 (UTC)
Shouldn't it be correct/better to rewrite everywhere where England is written into Britain instead? Or are those developers all really located only in England? The list itself also seems a bit outdated. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 08:52, 12 February 2013 (UTC)
- Britain or Great Britain is the name of the Island where England is situated, so there is nothing wrong with calling it England as the developers/publishers are situated in England the country. The list itself is getting updated from time to time with new notable developers and publishers, notes, games and such but also a monthly clean up from my side so it should be fairly up to date. Hope this cleared it up Zionnomonus (talk) 21:47, 19 September 2013 (UTC)