|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This article has an assessment summary page.|
||It is requested that a photograph be included in this article to improve its quality. Please replace this template with a more specific media request template where possible.
The Free Image Search Tool may be able to locate suitable images on Flickr and other web sites.
Biography assessment rating comment
This could be a better B --- It's still lacking a picture, and the top of the article is very brief, but the rest is very thorough.
- Thanks for your advice. I've started an infobox, but I'm not sure how to go about getting a picture. Anyone know a fair-use one? Gwinva 10:48, 26 May 2007 (UTC)
I suggest you contact Cameron Cunningham the webmaster of the Nigel Tranter site you quote as an external link to your article. His email address is on that site. Celticgowerman 07:13, 2 June 2007 (UTC)
As a long-time reader of Nigel Tranter, I have amassed quite a library of his books, with information on the dating of his historical stories. I think this is a good resource for those accessing Wikipedia for info on Scottish history, if the books are cross-referenced with historical figures. However, this is too big a task for me to enter it all. Are there any other Tranter lovers who are also thinking similar thoughts? Perhaps we could develop some strategy together. Is there enough information to create pages for his major books, or perhaps we could design a template or table? Any thoughts welcome! Gwinva 15:45, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
I've gone ahead and made some changes. Hope to build up the pages over time. I would welcome contributions. Gwinva 13:30, 1 February 2007 (UTC)
- Good for you Gwinva! I don't have the Tranter knowledge to do this myself, but would love to see it done by those who are more knowledgeable than I. -- Derek Ross | Talk 01:20, 2 February 2007 (UTC)
An excellent start Gwinva. I am a member of the Nigel-Tranter-Books group from yahoogroups.com and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there including some who knew Nigel Tranter. If you two gentlemen are not part of that group I'm sure your contributions would be welcomed. I have posted the start of a new thread suggesting they look at the Wikipedia articles and make contributions. I've made a couple of minor spelling corrections myself here but was unable to correct a mistake in the references section where the author Ray Bradfield is referred to as Ray Bradbury. Like Derek Ross I do not feel qualified to make contributions or corrections to the text but hope others will do so. There is a contradiction I noticed where it says in one place Nigel Tranter never went overseas, but in another says he lectured in the U.S.A. Llewellynthegreat 01:58, 26 May 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks: careless errors, which I have corrected. It would be good to get some input from other Tranter fans: thanks for the note on the Yahoo site. It's rather a large project for one person to manage, and I've run out of steam a bit. Any contributions welcome! Gwinva 10:31, 26 May 2007 (UTC)
Things to do
I've made a good start over the past few days, to establish the structure. Here's a list of things that need to be done: Gwinva 22:08, 5 February 2007 (UTC)
1. Extend biographical details as appropriate
2. 'Writings' section is inaccurate. Needs improvement.
- I have revised this. Gwinva 14:52, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
3. citations required?
4. Tranter was heavily involved in many areas. Follow these links, improve articles and link back here.
5. Non-fiction books: add brief outline after each, so it is a good reference guide. Consider links to other pages.
6. Do we need outlines for childrens or westerns? I would think these are low priority. Any thoughts?
9. add pictures. See WP:FAIR for copyright issues.
10. Tranter is a great source of information on Scottish places, history and people. Would be good if we could develop pages of some of these (Make a sort of Tranter Wikiproject that contibutes to Wikipedia:WikiProject Medieval Scotland ; Wikipedia:WikiProject Scottish Castles and other related projects.
11. Stone of Scone (Stone of Destiny). Would be good to have some outline of NT's thoughts on the stone (ie that the 'Westminster Stone' is not the true one). Also cover his intermediary role after the Stone (or stone) was stolen from Westminster Abbey in 1950.
- have begun page Westminster Stone theory which I hope to expand. Gwinva 16:53, 16 February 2007 (UTC)
12. In terms of improving articles linked from this page, the Publishers' pages could all do with some work. As a prolific author, writing over a period of more than 60 years, publishing trends had a lot of impact on him (and possibly vice versa in Scotland).
We don't need three articles for one author's bibliography. We need one. And I don't care when is his time-frame writing. I really don't. It's not prudent and it's not good-looking. So, I am going to make huge, huge changes on this entire shit and it will be better for it. But that will happen tomorrow...
- Regards: Painbearer 01:07, 8 November 2007 (UTC)