Talk:Pat Patterson (wrestler)
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Pat Patterson (wrestler) article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Fair use rationale for Image:Pierreclemont.jpg
Image:Pierreclemont.jpg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.BetacommandBot 09:13, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
Since Patterson has never said whether he is homosexual or not, calling him gay could be potentially libelous. I have thus removed the related categories. Unless proof is presented that he is gay, they should not be put back in because they could be violating WP:BLP. 09:43, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
Just a thought: Both Bobby Heenan and Jim Cornette have made mention of his sexuality on their shoot videos for Ring of Honor, as well as in the following quip from an interview: "At the Cauliflower Club banquet, Mike Tenay and I were wearing suits and ties. We just stood there and let the people stare at us. I then said to Tenay, 'Don't we look like the top of Pat Patterson's wedding cake?'" - Bobby Heenan on Wrestling Observer Live, 2001
So there should be at least a passing mention, or questioning of his sexuality. While a number of "gay" wrestlers were not of that orientation, it is my opinion as a long-time wrestling fan that there is enough evidence of his sexuality for a mention of the "dispute" over whether or not he is homosexual, citing both his effeminate gimmick and anecdotal evidence from the interviews with Heenan and Cornette. 3:17, 21 July 2007
- I just removed a line about Patterson being "openly" gay using this and this as cites. Both of them actually seem to recycle the constant rumor without giving any actual proof (Fighting Spirit Magazine looks to be half a step above an Apter mag for reliability).«»bd(talk stalk) 17:11, 9 September 2007 (UTC)
- The Washington Post is a reliable source. It printed this:
- Keller cautions that pro wrestling is still not a gay-friendly work environment: "I've interviewed a lot of other wrestlers who say they feel sorry for Billy and Chuck, that they've ruined their careers. Except for [former wrestler and WWE story writer] Pat Patterson, there's never been anyone in wrestling who's actually come of the closet."
- So they published a quote saying the subject is out of the closet. Fighting Spirit Magazine, which appears relaible and covers the sport, said:
- WWE legend and former Vince McMahon Stooge Pat Patterson, for those of you who don’t know, has been very openly out of the closet for a long time.
- There's also the interview with Dwayne Johnson, AKA "The Rock", who was cast to play a gay role. He credits ths subject with providing him a role model:
- Those seem sufficient. ·:· Will Beback ·:· 20:09, 9 September 2007 (UTC)
- The Washington Post is a reliable source. It printed this:
There have been frequent mentions of it on WWF/E TV, such as Jim Ross saying "he's single, fellas" when Patterson was ripping off his shirt a la Hulk Hogan —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 00:23, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
- It is pure bullshit. The in-jokes with Heenan and Ross and the others were allusions to his old gimmick. Claiming he's gay because of an old gimmick is like saying some actor is gay because he played someone who was gay once. He's never once come out in the media saying he's gay and thats BECAUSE HE'S NOT. This is some kind of "meme" garbage, or wishful thinking by someone who should probably examine their own sexuality instead of projecting onto others. Forbiddend (talk) 07:18, 31 May 2010 (UTC)
And if we're going to mention wrestlers calling Pat out of the closet, I believe either Rocky, SCSA, or JBL did so at one of the Hall of Fame Ceremonies...I forget the exact quote, I don't think it's cit-able as it was a joke made in passing, thus, unless anyone wants me to research, I leave it up your judgment. Yesitsraining (talk) 04:36, 23 June 2010 (UTC)
An amusing aspect of Patterson's sexual preferences is that as a ring announcer he often made disparaging innuendos about wrestler Adrian Adonis, referring to Adonis as effeminate, a guy who likes his leather, a bit light in the loafers, etc. In reality, Adonis was married and had two children; it was Patterson who swung in the other direction. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2604:2D80:882A:0:8C1F:6128:CB8D:9036 (talk) 17:50, 18 June 2016 (UTC)
Perhaps it should be mentioned in the wikipedia article that Pat Patterson had charges brought against him in court for sexual molestation of underage boys. http://wwfoldschoolwrestling.com/pedophiles-professional-wrestling/ Qewr4231 (talk) 20:01, 2 February 2017 (UTC)
How does this article contradict itself?
I've read it twice, and I don't see it. If someone explains it to me, I would quite happily go banana.Ironcladlou 16:45, 10 September 2007 (UTC)
Patterson "winning" IC belt
I know that his winning the Intercontinental title in 1979 was a work, but did WWE ever try to make it look at all legit, by mentioning who he defeated in the so-called tournament final to become champion?
Who are the dumb idiots that are accepting that this Tournament took place. It didn't. Your "Source" (credited as footnote 5) is an article on WWE.com that said APRIL FOOLS at the end of it. Really guys? The tournament was a work and there is nothing wrong with just saying that clearly. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 05:04, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
Move discussion in progress
There is a move discussion in progress on Talk:Bayley (wrestler) which affects this page. Please participate on that page and not in this talk page section. Thank you. —RMCD bot 11:16, 22 September 2014 (UTC)
Perhaps it should be mentioned in the wikipedia article that Pat Patterson had charges brought against him in court for sexual molestation of underage boys. http://wwfoldschoolwrestling.com/pedophiles-professional-wrestling/ Qewr4231 (talk) 20:08, 2 February 2017 (UTC)