|Industry||Finance and insurance|
|Predecessor||Tesco Personal Finance|
|Benny Higgins CEO|
|Products||Finance and insurance
|Revenue||£1.075 billion (2013/14)|
|£194.6 million (2013/14)|
|Total assets||£8.605 billion (2013/14)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Tesco Personal Finance Group Limited|
|Footnotes / references
Tesco purchase of RBS stake completed 2008 Q4
Tesco Bank is a retail bank in the United Kingdom which was formed in 1997, and which has been wholly owned by Tesco plc since 2008. The bank was originally formed as part of a 50:50 joint venture between The Royal Bank of Scotland and Tesco, the UK's largest supermarket. Tesco later acquired the RBS shareholding, which resulted in the bank becoming a wholly owned subsidiary, and now operates under its own banking licence under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
The bank offers a range of insurance, credit cards, loans, savings, mortgages and travel products, and launched a current account in June 2014. A unique selling point of Tesco's banking products is that the bank is able to leverage its large customer base to cross-sell financial services products, as customers can accumulate Tesco Clubcard points when they purchase finance products.
As of February 2014, the bank has around 7 million customer accounts and policies.
Prior to the formation of Tesco Personal Finance plc, as it was originally known, Tesco had a banking joint venture with NatWest, which ended in February 1997. TPF was formed in July 1997 following the successful launch of Sainsbury's Bank by its main UK competitor, Sainsbury's. The bank was launched as a joint venture with the Royal Bank of Scotland, which processed all its financial transactions. Subsidiary companies of the Royal Bank, such as Direct Line, UKI and Lombard Direct helped Tesco Personal Finance provide insurance products.
In October 2009, Tesco Personal Finance was officially renamed Tesco Bank.
Tesco Bank provides a range of personal accounts, including current accounts, mortgages, credit cards, loans, savings accounts, insurance and foreign currency exchange. Mortgages were added in August 2012, after briefly offering products provided by First Active in 2004.
The bank is registered in Scotland at Interpoint Building, 22 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, EH12 5BH. While operating as a joint venture the bank shared its registered office with RBS at St Andrew Square, Edinburgh.
In July 2010 Tesco Bank opened two major offices at Quorum Business Park in Newcastle and a larger one at Broadway One in Glasgow. Since then there has also been an office opened in South Gyle, Edinburgh.
- "Tesco Personal Finance Plc (Tesco Bank)" (PDF). Investec Capital Markets. 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Annual Review and Summary Financial Statement 2012" (PDF). Tesco PLC. 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Bank Licence List - Investor Protection Compensation Scheme (Revised July 2013)". Financial Advice.net. 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013.
- "Tesco Bank reaches 7 million accounts". Tesco Bank press release. Tesco Bank. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Rodgers, Peter (14 February 1997). "Tesco cuts NatWest tie to link with Royal Bank". The Independent. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Annual report and financial statements 1998" (PDF). Tesco PLC. 1998. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Tesco Pays £950m To Become Bank". Sky News. 28 July 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2008.
- Thelwell, Emma; Butterworth, Myra (28 July 2008). "Tesco eyes mortgages and current accounts in plan to take on UK's high street banks". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 July 2008.
- "Tesco Bank to offer current accounts and mortgages". The Telegraph. 6 October 2009. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Tesco Bank will offer mortgages". BBC News. 4 August 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Murray-West, Rosie (4 August 2012). "Tesco Bank finally launches first range of mortgages". The Telegraph. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Tesco Bank Creates 300 Scottish Jobs as Lender Eyes Current Account Launch". International Business Times UK. 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Tesco's Bank Adds Checking Accounts, 300 Employees". The Wall Street Journal. 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Tesco enters battle for current accounts". BBC News. 10 June 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "In-store 'Tesco Bank' branches planned". Which?. 30 March 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Bradshaw, Tim (29 March 2009). "Tesco to open bank branches in its stores". Financial Times. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Tesco store locator, opening times, and store details". Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Travel Money In Store". Tesco Bank. 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.