The Way (Ariana Grande song)
|Single by Ariana Grande featuring Mac Miller|
|from the album Yours Truly|
|Released||March 25, 2013|
|Ariana Grande singles chronology|
|Mac Miller singles chronology|
"The Way" is a song recorded by American singer Ariana Grande, featuring rapper Mac Miller, from Grande's debut studio album Yours Truly (2013). It was written by the song's producer Harmony Samuels, alongside Amber Streeter, Al Sherrod Lambert, Jordin Sparks, Brenda Russell, and Miller. The song's backing track is based on the piano melody from Russell's 1979 song "A Little Bit of Love", and the song has melodic and lyrical similarities to Big Pun's 1998 song "Still Not a Player", which also samples "A Little Bit of Love".
"The Way" was released on March 25, 2013, by Republic Records as the lead single from Yours Truly. The song debuted at number 10 and peaked at number 9 on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming Grande and Miller's first top ten song on the chart. This also made Grande the first top ten arrival for a lead female artist making her first Hot 100 appearance since Yael Naim, who launched with "New Soul" back in 2008. As of April 2018, "The Way" has sold 2.4 million copies in the United States and has been certified triple platinum.
On December 12, 2011, Grande released her debut single "Put Your Hearts Up," a bubblegum pop song with a vastly different style of music and target demographic than "The Way." Whereas the lyrics in "The Way" deal with the subject of a flirty, romantic relationship, some sections with sexual implications, "Put Your Hearts Up" was a song aimed at young audiences, with lyrics about making the world a better place. During a radio interview on KIIS-FM on March 25, 2013 about her debut single, Grande confessed that she had in fact "hated" both the music video for and the song itself, considering it to be "a terrible first impression." She added that she had wanted to "pretend it never happened before it already happened" and that she had felt no enthusiasm to promote the song at the time.
In subsequent interviews, Grande implied that in order to feel "passionate" about her music, it needed to relate to her maturing personality. In an interview with Billboard she said, "When I do Sam & Cat, and when I act as Cat, of course I'm still going to be there for my younger fans. But I'm also growing up – I'm almost 20. I'm not going to do anything crazy, but I want to do music that I'm passionate about. I'm finally at an age where I can do the music that I grew up loving, which was urban pop, 90s music. I grew up listening to the divas, so I'm very happy to finally do urban pop. I hope that it's received well, and it has been so far." 
"The Way" can be seen as the reboot of Grande's singing career, steering her toward an older demographic and a different musical genre than where she originally began. In January 2013, she met with producer Harmony Samuels, at which point he presented her with a demo of the song that featured the vocals of co-writer Jordin Sparks, whom the song was originally intended. The beat he'd created for the single, samples Brenda Russell's "A Little Bit of Love" either directly or indirectly, via Big Pun's "Still Not a Player". Grande immediately connected with the sound and asked Mac Miller to feature on the song with her, to which he responded, "Sounds like a hit to me."  The song was recorded that same month, and caught the attention of Republic Records VP Charlie Walk when he heard it being played from Republic co-founder Monte Lipman's office. "It was 8:00 one night, and I heard a song coming from Monte's office through my wall. He called me down and I played a video, a DIY of Ariana Grande. We heard the song and I immediately made the decision to set it up [and] put the song out." 
Promotion and release
Grande created online buzz in the weeks leading up to her single's release through social media. She first tweeted about "The Way" on March 5, 2013, stating that the song would be released later that month. On March 13, she announced the release date. She posted a teaser trailer for both the song and the music video on her YouTube page on March 16 and then shared a second teaser on March 21.
In the later half of March, Grande went on a radio tour across the United States, focusing on some of the most popular Top 40 stations in the country. She visited both Y-100 Miami and 93.3 FM on March 18 for interviews. The next day she went on Elvis Duran and the Morning Show and attended a release party thrown by Z100, where she spoke to fans about her music. On March 25, she visited KIIS-FM for an interview with JoJo Wright. She visited 99-7 Now on March 29. "The Way" debuted on On Air with Ryan Seacrest on March 25, 2013.
Digital Spy gave the song a five out of five star rating comparing the song's sound and Ariana's vocals to Mariah Carey's, continuing to say Ariana has a "powerful vocal" whilst the song has "bouncy piano riff" and "throwback R&B beats". Sam Lansky of Idolator gave the song a positive review, calling the vocals "sweet, soulful, and grown-up". MTV Buzzworthy's Jenna Hally Rubenstein praised the song, advising readers to "keep one eye on Ariana" as "she may very well be the hottest pop newcomer in the game." Rubenstein also commented that the song's "early '00s-influenced R&B vibes" made it sound like an updated version of Jennifer Lopez's "I'm Real" featuring Ja Rule. Nick Catucci of Rolling Stone magazine gave the song a 3 and half stars, saying that Grande is "more flirty than freaky, but her Mariah-esque vocals verge on ecstatic."
|2013||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Love Song||Nominated|||
Following its release, "The Way" sold over 120,000 digital downloads within the first 48 hours. Having sold over 219,000 copies in its opening week, "The Way" holds the fourth largest first-week sales figure of 2013, behind Katy Perry's "Roar", Justin Timberlake's "Suit & Tie" and One Direction's "Best Song Ever". "The Way" debuted at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on the week ending in April 5, 2013, becoming Grande's and Miller's first Hot 100 top-ten hit. This makes Grande the first top ten arrival for a lead female artist making her first Hot 100 appearance since Yael Naim, who launched with "New Soul" back in 2008. The song dropped to number 22 during its second week on the chart, and then to number 37. As radio stations gave it more attention, the song gradually rebounded, eventually peaking at number 9 for two weeks. The song reached 500,000 sold units on May 1, 2013 and received its official Gold certification from the RIAA on May 6, 2013. "The Way" surpassed one million downloads on June 10, 2013 and was officially certified Platinum by the RIAA on June 19, 2013. As of September 2013, the song has thus far sold 2,000,000 copies in the United States. "The Way" spent 26 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100 chart, all but two, being within the top 40. The Spanglish version of "The Way" reached number 5 on Billboard's Latin Pop Songs chart on the week ending August 24, 2013. As of March 2016, "The Way" has sold over 2.3 million copies in the United States and has been certified triple platinum.
The music video for "The Way" was filmed on February 10 and 11, 2013. On March 16, 2013, the first teaser for the song was released on to her YouTube page. The second teaser was released on Ryan Seacrest's website two days later, and later on Grande's page. The full video was released on March 28, 2013 at 12/3 am PST/EST. Directed by Jones Crow, the video consists of Grande, Miller, and a group of dancers. Grande poses for pictures taken by Miller on various cameras, while dancing around a room filled with balloons and their images are projected on the wall. At the end of the video Miller and Grande kiss, and Grande described it as "quite a statement" of growing up. The video was Vevo-certified on October 2, 2013, having reached 100 million views. As of February 2019, the music video has over 360 million views on Vevo.
Grande performed "The Way" at several Top 40 radio concerts, including KIIS-FM's Wango Tango concert on May 11, 2013 in Los Angeles, 101.3 KDWB's Star Party concert on May 17, 2013 in Minneapolis, Kiss 108's Kiss Concert 2013 event in Boston, 103.3 AMP Radio's Birthday Bash concert on June 30, 2013 also in Boston, and Mix 93.3's Red White & Boom concert on July 5, 2013 in Kansas City. She was scheduled to perform the song at B96's Summer Bash concert on June 15, 2013 in Chicago, but had to cancel due to being sick.
Grande was the opening act for the last three US dates of Justin Bieber's Believe Tour, during which she performed "The Way". The performances took place in Jacksonville, Tampa, and Atlanta on August 7, August 8, and August 10 respectively.
Along with her second single, "Baby I", Grande performed "The Way" at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards Pre-show at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York City on August 25, 2013. She later performed "The Way" with Mac Miller on the Today Show on September 3, 2013 to celebrate the release of her album, Yours Truly, and to promote it.
She also performed the song at Worldwide Day of Play 2013, at Jimmy Kimmel Live! on October 15. Grande played the song at every concert from her The Listening Sessions and Jingle Bell Ball 2013. The song was performed for the last time in 2013 at New Years Rockin' Eve, where Mac Miller joined Grande on stage.
In 2014, Grande performed the song in a medley with "Problem" at the 2014 iHeartRadio Music Awards. She performed the song on May 5 at the 2014 Wango Tango. Grande also performed "The Way" along with some songs at the 2014 Easter Egg Roll at the White House. She also performed the track in a few showcases in Tokyo, Japan, to promote the release of "Yours Truly" in the country. The song was performed in June at the 2014 iHeartRadio Ultimate Pool Party and again in July at the Macy's 4 July Fireworks Spectacular. On September 19, 2014, she performed "The Way" along with other songs at the 2014 iHeartRadio Music Festival. It was also added to the setlist for her 2015 world tour, The Honeymoon Tour.
Copyright infringement lawsuit
On December 11, 2013, Minder Music filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Grande, Sony/ATV, UMG Recording and other parties. It claimed that the line "What we gotta do right here is go back, back into time", which is spoken in the introduction to "The Way", infringes its copyright in the 1972 single "Troglodyte" by The Jimmy Castor Bunch, which contains the spoken lyric, "What we're gonna do right here is go back, way back, back into time".
The suit argued that the songs' similarities include "nearly identical lyrics; similar enunciation speed with a fast and consistent pace for 'What we gotta do right' and a slightly slower pace for 'here is go back,' and substantially similar placement" at the beginning of both songs. Minder Music sought a permanent injunction, statutory damages of $150,000 per infringement, and legal fees. The case was settled outside of court in 2015.
- Digital download
- "The Way" (featuring Mac Miller) – 3:46
- Digital download (Spanglish Version)
- "The Way" (Spanglish Version featuring J Balvin) – 3:46
- CD single
- "The Way" (featuring Mac Miller) – 3:48
- "The Way" – 3:10
- Composed by – Harmony Samuels
- Engineer – Carlos King, Jose Cardoza
- Engineer [Vocals] – Chris "Tek" O'Ryan
- Featuring – Mac Miller
- Mixed by – Jaycen Joshua
- Mixed by [Assistant] – Trehy Harris
- Producer – Harmony Samuels
- Producer [Vocals] – Ariana Grande, Sauce
- Written by – Al Sherrod Lambert, Amber Streeter, Brenda Russell, Harmony Samuels, Jordin Sparks, Malcolm McCormick
J Balvin remix
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Platinum||40,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||2,400,000|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
Since May 2013 RIAA certifications for digital singles include on-demand audio and/or video song streams in addition to downloads.
|Canada||March 26, 2013||Main||Digital download||Universal Music|
|France||March 27, 2013||Universal Music|
|Russia||May 31, 2013||Spanglish||Universal Music|
|United States||June 4, 2013||Republic|
|Germany||June 5, 2013||Universal Music|
|United States||May 21, 2013||Main||CD single||Republic|
- Lipshutz, Jason (August 16, 2013). "Ariana Grande's Grand Entrance: Inside The Nick Jr. Star's Debut Album". Billboard. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Weiner, Natalie (October 8, 2013). "Ariana Grande's 9 Best Deep Cuts: Critic's Pick". Billboard. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Ariana Grande's 'Yours Truly': A Sweet, Sweet Fantasy of '90s-Indebted Hip-Hop and R&B, Brandon Soderberg, Spin, September 13, 2013
- Mac Miller Gives Ariana Grande 'Butterflies' On 'The Way', Jocelyn Vena, MTV.com, March 27, 2013
- Trust, Gary (April 22, 2018). "Ask Billboard: Ariana Grande's Career Album & Song Sales". Billboard. (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Grande, Ariana (December 12, 2011). "Ariana Grande Debuts New Single, 'Put Your Hearts Up'". The Huffington Post.
- Grande, Ariana. "Ariana Grande on KIIS-FM". Youtube.
- Grande, Ariana. "Ariana Grande talks The Way". Billboard.
- "Ariana Grande radio interview 3/25/13". Youtube.
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Ariana Grande Talks Breakout Hit 'The Way'". Billboard. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Happening Now: Big Things Ahead for Nickelodeon Star Ariana Grande". Billboard. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- Ariana Grande [@ArianaGrande] (5 March 2013). "My new single #TheWay comes out this month. The 1st 300 people to guess the date get signed copies. Winners/date announced Fri. Use #TheWay" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Ariana Grande [@ArianaGrande] (13 March 2013). "My new single "The Way" feat. @MacMiller will be available March 26th #TheWayMarch26th" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "First teaser for The Way". Youtube.
- "Second teaser for The Way". Youtube.
- "Ariana Grande interview at Y100". Y100.com.
- "Ariana Grande interview at 93.3 FLZ". 933flz.com.
- Elvis Duran [@elvisduran] (19 March 2013). "Just met @ArianaGrande. Wait until you hear her album next Tuesday. Unbelievably talented" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ariana Grande, Elvis Duran appearance". ElvisDuran.com.
- "Z100 Party".
- "Ariana Grande visits KIIS-FM".
- "Grande visits 99.7 Now".
- "On Air With Ryan Seacrest song debut".
- "Ariana Grande ft. Mac Miller: 'The Way' – Single review – Music Singles Review". Digital Spy. March 18, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Sam Lansky (March 27, 2013). "Ariana Grande Releases Very Good Single "The Way," Goes To #1 On iTunes". Idolator. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- Rubenstein, Jenna Hally (March 27, 2013). "New Song: Ariana Grande Featuring Mac Miller, 'The Way'". MTV Buzzworthy. Viacom International, Inc. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Nick Catucci (April 15, 2013). "The Way – Song Review". Rolling Stones. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Teen Choice Awards 2013". Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Grande, Ariana. "Ariana tweets about The Way".
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Breakout Hit "The Way"". Billboard.
- "Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Top Hot 100; Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grande Hit Top 10". Billboard. February 16, 2008. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "The song, featuring T.I. and Pharrell, zips 6-1 to become Thicke's first Hot 100 No 1. Plus, Ariana Grande returns to the top 10 at a new peak and Miley Cyrus debuts at No. 11". Billboard. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- Ariana Grande [@ArianaGrande] (1 May 2013). "'The Way' went gold today! I'm so grateful and thankful and happy. Thank YOU guys so much. :D This is so exciting" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "The Way Certifications". RIAA.
- Grein, Paul (September 11, 2013). "Week Ending Sept. 8, 2013. Albums: The Braxton Sisters". Yahoo! Music. Yahoo!. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Lipshutz, Jason. "Ariana Grande's Grand Entrance: Inside The Nickelodeon Star's Debut Album". Billboard. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- New Music: Ariana Grande Feat. Fabolous 'The Way (Remix)' | Vibe
- "The Way – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller (First Teaser)". YouTube. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Teases 'The Way' Video With Mac Miller". Popcrush.com. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- Fanpop, Inc. "The Way – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller (First Teaser) MARCH 26th – Ariana Grande video". Fanpop. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "The Way – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller 20 second teaser". YouTube. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Talks Breakout Hit 'The Way': Watch New Music Video". Billboard. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande's "The Way" Music Video Is VEVO Certified". Disney Dreaming. October 2, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Wango Tango Performance".
- "Ariana Grande Star Party performance".
- "Ariana at Kiss Concert 2013".
- "Birthday Bash Artist Profile: Ariana Grande".
- "Carly Rae Jepsen headlines Red, White and Boom July 5".
- Ariana Grande [@ArianaGrande] (5 July 2013). "On my way to Kansas City to perform for @Mix933 tonight!! Can't wait to see you there. Who's coming? Xo" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Ariana Grande [@ArianaGrande] (15 June 2013). "So sad I won't be able to make it to sing at the @b96radio Summer Bash today in Chicago. I hope everybody has a BLAST. @ebunc1 u r the best!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "B96 on Ariana Grande's cancelled performance".
- Grande, Ariana. "Ariana Grande Performs "The Way"". YouTube. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- Grande, Ariana. "Ariana Grande Performs 'The Way' on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon". Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Justin Bieber's 'Believe' Tour Coming Back to the U.S. With Ariana Grande and More as Opening Acts!".
- Gardner, Eriq (December 11, 2013). "Ariana Grande Sued Over Mega-Hit Song 'The Way'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Saad, Megan (December 12, 2013). "Hit Single 'The Way' Lands Ariana Grande in a Copyright Infringement Lawsuit". Vibe. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Farber, Jim. "Did she steal his song? Ariana Grande reaches confidential settlement with ’70s funk star Jimmy Castor’s estate", New York Daily News, February 23, 2015, accessed August 28, 2017
- "iTunes – Music – The Way (feat. Mac Miller) – Single by Ariana Grande". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "iTunes – Music – The Way (Spanglish Version) [feat. J Balvin] – Single by Ariana Grande". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller – The Way". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller – The Way" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller – The Way" (in Dutch). Ultratop Urban.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Chart Track: Week 14, 2013". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Chart Search". Billboard Japan Hot 100 for Ariana Grande. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Ariana Grande feat Mac Miller" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller – The Way" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Charts.nz – Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller – The Way". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "2013년 15주차 Digital Chart" (in Korean). GAON. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "JESSIE J FEATURING ARIANA GRANDE & NICKI MINAJ – Artist – Official Charts". The Official Charts Company. April 6, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Songs Of The Summer)". Billboard. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
- "Ariana Grande Chart History (Latin Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 24, 2013.
- "2013 Year End Charts – Digital Songs". Billboard. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "2013 Year End Charts – Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "2013 Year End Charts – On-Demand Songs". Billboard. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "2013 Year End Charts – Radio Songs". Billboard. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "2013 Year End Charts – Streaming Songs". Billboard. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2013 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Brazilian single certifications – Ariana Grande – The Way" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian single certifications – Ariana Grande – The Way". Music Canada. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- "British single certifications – Ariana Grande – The Way". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved April 5, 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type The Way in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Ariana Grande – The Way". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- APFV (November 30, 2013). "Certificaciones De Venezuela Del 2013" (PDF) (in Spanish). APFV. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "RIAA Adds Digital Streams To Historic Gold & Platinum Awards". Recording Industry Association of America. May 9, 2013. Archived from the original on May 26, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "The Way (2013) | Ariana Grande / Mac Miller | MP3 Downloads 7digital Canada". Archived from the original on July 9, 2013. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "Amazon.com: The Way: Ariana Grande: MP3 Downloads". Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- iTunes Store
- The Way [feat. Mac Miller]: Ariana Grande: Amazon.fr: Téléchargements MP3
- iTunes – Music – The Way (feat. Mac Miller) – Single by Ariana Grande
- The Way [feat. Mac Miller]: Ariana Grande: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads
- Amazon.co.jp： The Way [feat. Mac Miller]: Ariana Grande: 音楽ダウンロード
- The Way [feat. Mac Miller]: Ariana Grande: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads
- iTunes – Music – The Way (Spanglish Version) [feat. Mac Miller] – Single by Ariana Grande
- "Amazon.com: The Way (Spanglish Version): Ariana Grande: MP3 Downloads". Archived from the original on June 9, 2013. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- The Way (Spanglish Version) [feat. Mac Miller]: Ariana Grande: Amazon.de: MP3-Downloads
- The Way (Spanglish Version) [feat. Mac Miller]: Ariana Grande: Amazon.es: Tienda MP3
- Amazon.com: Way: Music