Toshihiko Seko (瀬古利彦, Seko Toshihiko; born July 14, 1956 in Kuwana, Mie) is a Japanese former long-distance runner. He was a world-class marathon competitor in the 1980s. He represented his native country at the 1984 and the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.
On March 22, 1981 Seko set world records at 25,000 m (1:13:55.8) and 30,000 m (1:29:18.8). The records stood for 30 years, until they were broken by Moses Mosop in June 2011. On April 20, 1981, Seko shaved one second off Bill Rodgers's course record at the Boston Marathon.
He was devoted to the sport above other interests and once remarked "The marathon is my only girlfriend. I give her everything I have."
|1979||Asian Championships||Tokyo, Japan||1st||10,000 m||28:59.2a|
|1984||Olympic Games||Los Angeles, United States||14th||Marathon||2:14:13|
|1986||Asian Games||Seoul, South Korea||3rd||10,000 m||29:31.90|
|1988||Olympic Games||Seoul, South Korea||9th||Marathon||2:13:41|
|1978||Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||Marathon||2:10:21|
|1979||Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||Marathon||2:10:35|
|1980||Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||Marathon||2:09:45|
|1981||Boston Marathon||Boston, United States||1st||Marathon||2:09:26|
|1983||Tokyo Marathon||Tokyo, Japan||1st||Marathon||2:08:38|
|Fukuoka Marathon||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||Marathon||2:08:52|
|1986||London Marathon||London, United Kingdom||1st||Marathon||2:10:02|
|Chicago Marathon||Chicago, United States||1st||Marathon||2:08:27|
|1987||Boston Marathon||Boston, United States||1st||Marathon||2:11:50|
|1988||Lake Biwa Marathon||Ōtsu, Japan||1st||Marathon||2:12:41|
- "Mosop rips apart World records for 25,000 and 30,000m in Eugene – Samsung Diamond League". June 4, 2011. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- "Seko Clocks A Boston Record". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. AP. April 21, 1981. p. 19. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- Members of the Tokyo 2016 Olympics Advisory Panel - Tokyo Metropolitan Government
- 東京都教育委員会委員の任命に係る議会の同意について Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education's official website(Japanese)
- Running with the Legends: Training and Racing Insights from 21 Great Runners (book)
|This biographical article relating to Japanese athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|