|Type||Main battle tank|
|Place of origin||China|
|Used by||See Operators below|
|Crew||3 (commander, driver, gunner)|
|125 mm (4.9 in) smoothbore|
|1 x RWS12.7 mm (0.50 in) AA MG
1 × 7.62 mm (0.300 in) coaxial MG
|Engine||Turbocharged diesel engine
1,300 hp (969 kW)
|500 km (310 mi)|
|Speed||70 km/h (43 mph)|
The VT4 main battle tank (Chinese: VT-4主战坦克 ), also known as the MBT3000, is a Chinese third generation main battle tank built by Norinco for overseas export. It is an upgraded variant of the MBT2000 (VT-1) and the latest tank model from the Type 90-II tank family.
The MBT-3000 (industrial designation) project began development in 2009 as a cooperation of First Inner Mongolia Machinery Factory and other companies. It was based on the Type 90-II and outfitted with a locally produced powerplant. The MBT-3000 concept debuted at the 2012 Eurosatory. The tank was subsequently shown at the 2014 Norinco Armor Day and the tenth China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition as the VT-4. It has yet to enter mass production.
The VT-4 has a 125mm smoothbore cannon capable of firing APFSDS, HESH, HEAT and HE rounds and guided missiles. There is also a remote weapon station on the turret armed with a 12.7 mm heavy machine gun. The fire control system has hunter-killer capabilities, laser rangefinder, panoramic sight, and a third generation thermal imaging system.
The tank appears to have composite and explosive reactive armor. The turret front has wedge shaped armor and the hull sides have armored sideskirts. The tank is equipped with an active protection system designated GL5, defensive grenade launchers, and a laser warning device. The vehicle also has an IFF system, NBC protection, explosion suppression system, fire extinguishing system, and air conditioning.
According to Norinco, the VT-4 uses a locally produced 1,300 hp diesel engine with torsion bar suspension and an integrated hydraulic transmission system. Steering and acceleration is handled by a steering wheel and automatic gear transmission.
Command and control
The tank is also integrated with digital communications systems for tank-tank communication and communication between commanders.
- The Royal Thai Army has signed an agreement with China to procure the VT-4 main battle tank. The deal features an initial 28 units, with deliveries expected to commence before the end of 2016 and conclude within two years. The deal, thought to be valued at about USD150 million, includes an option to buy a further 153 vehicles. In April 2017, The Royal Thai Army has ordered an additional 10 VT-4 main battle tanks from China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO) worth $58 million.
- Has been offered 100 VT-4 by China.
- Pakistan is currently in talks with the Chinese Government to buy VT-4 MBTs.
- "VT4坦克总设计师：我国坦克炮可击穿1米厚钢装甲". www.guancha.cn. Norinco. 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-05.
- Pakistan Eyes new Chinese Tank, VT-4
- "Norinco Corporate Social Responsibility Report 2014" (PDF). Norinco. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "VT4 MBT-3000 Norinco main battle tank technical data sheet specifications pictures video UK | China Chinese heavy armoured vehicle tank UK | Chinese China army military equipment armoured UK". www.armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Tank maker seeks to increase exports on land armaments". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- RTA orders additional chinese tanks. defence-blog.com.
- Yeo, Mike (4 April 2017). "Thailand to buy more Chinese tanks, reportedly for $58M". Defense News. Melbourne, Australia. Archived from the original on 7 April 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "China Offers 100 VT4 Main Battle Tanks for Peru". defence-blog.com. Defence Blog. 2015. Retrieved 2015-12-18.