The cast of TransGeneration with the filmmakers
Back (L–R): Jeremy Simmons (director), Thairin Smothers (producer), Gabbie Gibson
Front (L–R): T.J. Jourian, Lucas Cheadle, Raci Ignacio
|Created by||Jeremy Simmons and Thairin Smothers|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||27 minutes (episodes 1 & 8 are double-length)|
|Original network||Sundance Channel|
|Original release||September 20 – November 8, 2005|
Two of the students are trans women, and two are trans men. Each of them lives on-campus at a different school, and they are each at a different stage of their academic career of their transition. The series was produced by World of Wonder. It was broadcast on the Sundance Channel from September to November 2005, as well as on Logo. It was also screened at film festivals and independent cinemas.[which?]
A year after filming the series, the cameras returned to film a half-hour reunion show, TransGeneration Reunion.
Cast and crew
|This section needs to be updated. (July 2016)|
- Andrea Gabrielle "Gabbie" Gibson
- Gabbie was born April 22, 1985 in Redlands, California. She is an undergraduate student at the University of Colorado at Boulder, where she majors in computer science. During her freshman year, she began living as a woman and started hormone replacement therapy. She is a resident assistant on campus, where she receives special accommodation by having a single room with her own bathroom. She becomes actively involved in campus-based LGBT activities, while anticipating her upcoming genital reassignment surgery, for which her parents have agreed to pay.
- Lucas Cheadle
- Lucas was born November 3, 1982 in Oklahoma. He attends Smith College, a private women's college in Massachusetts. His best friend is a trans man who has been undergoing hormone therapy for several months. Lucas is a neuroscience major; now that he's in his senior year, he is beginning to feel that it is time to start hormone replacement therapy. He is afraid to come out to his father, who had divorced and moved away since Lucas was nine, even though he is out to his mother and brother.
- Raci "Raycee" Ignacio
- Raycee was born February 8, 1985 in the Philippines. She attends California State University, Los Angeles on a merit-based scholarship. She moved to the United States at the age of fifteen. Among her challenges are hearing-impaired, speaks English as a second language, and being away from her mother for the first time. She tries to fit in as a normal girl and is reluctant to reveal that she is trans.
- Trent Jackson "T.J." Jourian
- T.J. was born on June 6, 1981 in Lebanon. He is of Armenian descent, and he grew up in Cyprus. He is a graduate student at Michigan State University. He is a Fulbright Scholar pursuing a degree in Student Affairs Administration. Outgoing and involved, he is very active in the transgender community on campus. T.J. sees his family as unsupportive. As he plans to visit them over the summer break, he decides that he must confront them, even though it might mean never returning home again.
TransGeneration was directed by Jeremy Simmons and produced by Thairin Smothers.
|2006||GLAAD Media Award||Outstanding Documentary||TransGeneration||Won|||
- My Transsexual Summer
- Transgender in film and television
- List of transgender-related topics
- "What is 'TransGeneration'?". Gay.com. 10 June 2007. p. 13. Archived from the original on 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2007-10-20.
- "TransGeneration Reunion". SundanceChannel.com. Showtime Networks. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
- "Short Bio". Official Website of Trent Jackson Jourian. 2008-06-29. Archived from the original on 2008-06-29. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Matthew Van Atta (April 11, 2006). "Theron, TransGeneration honored at L.A. GLAAD Awards". Advocate.com. Retrieved May 1, 2013.