Turnersville, New Jersey
|Turnersville, New Jersey|
|Census designated place|
Map of Turnersville highlighted within Gloucester County. Right: Location of Gloucester County in New Jersey.
|Named for||Turner family|
|• Total||1.495 sq mi (3.871 km2)|
|• Land||1.487 sq mi (3.851 km2)|
|• Water||0.008 sq mi (0.020 km2) 0.51%|
|Elevation||92 ft (28 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Density||2,516.9/sq mi (971.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||08012 - Blackwood|
|GNIS feature ID||02390410|
Turnersville is an unincorporated community and census designated place (CDP) located within Washington Township, in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 3,742.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Turnersville had a total area of 1.495 square miles (3.871 km2), including 1.487 square miles (3.851 km2) of land and 0.008 square miles (0.020 km2) (0.51%) of water.
|Population sources: 2000 2010|
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 3,742 people, 1,217 households, and 1,069 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,516.9 per square mile (971.8/km2). There were 1,237 housing units at an average density of 832.0 per square mile (321.2/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.74% (3,433) White, 3.58% (134) Black or African American, 0.08% (3) Native American, 2.91% (109) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 0.51% (19) from other races, and 1.18% (44) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 2.38% (89) of the population.
There were 1,217 households, of which 38.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.8% were married couples living together, 9.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 12.2% were non-families. 10.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.07 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the CDP, 25.2% of the population were under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 21.3% from 25 to 44, 34.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41.6 years. For every 100 females there were 93.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.2 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 3,867 people, 1,167 households, and 1,060 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,002.1/km2 (2,603.4/mi2). There were 1,179 housing units at an average density of 305.5/km2 (793.7/mi2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 92.68% White, 3.67% African American, 0.03% Native American, 2.48% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.45% of the population.
There were 1,167 households out of which 49.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 81.3% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 9.1% were non-families. 7.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.31 and the average family size was 3.49.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 29.8% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 27.5% from 45 to 64, and 7.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 93.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $86,421, and the median income for a family was $90,863. Males had a median income of $59,911 versus $43,929 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $28,734. About 2.2% of families and 3.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.7% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Turnersville include:
- Linda Fiorentino (born 1958), actress.
- Mike Rossman (born 1955), boxer, WBA light-heavyweight champion.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 13, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Turnersville Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed November 11, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Turnersville CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 11, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Turnersville, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed November 11, 2012.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed November 11, 2012.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed April 19, 2015.
- History, Washington Township. Accessed April 2, 2007. "Some of the early settlers to the area were the Collins family of Chestnut Ridge Farm (1771), the Turner family (1798) for whom Turnersville was named, the Hurff family (1806) of Hurffville, the Heritage family (1725) whose family began the Heritage Dairy Farm Stores, the Morgan family who were the first residents of the Olde Stone House (1736) and the Bell Family who arrived in 1899 turning our 139 year old grist mill into GENERAL MILLS, INC."
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from the Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for Turnersville CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 11, 2012.
- Donahue, Deirdre. "Leggy Linda Fiorentino says Gotcha! to some of the silver screen's cutest virgin hunks.", People (magazine), May 27, 1985. "Growing up in South Philly and later Turnersville, N.J. gave Linda a street-kid sensibility."
- McGowan, Deane. "Lopez Stops Rossman in Six Rounds", The New York Times, March 3, 1978. Accessed January 21, 2009. "Mike Rossman of Turnersville, N.J., is a tough fighter, but Yaqui Lopez of Stockton, Calif., was even tougher last night."