|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Latin: Universitas Patna|
|Chancellor||Ram Nath Kovind|
|Vice-Chancellor||Rash Bihar Prasad Singh|
|Location||Patna, Bihar, India
|Colours||Red and white|
the Indian subcontinent. At that time, the jurisdiction of the university extended to Bihar, Odisha, and the Kingdom of Nepal. The university oversaw examinations for educational institutions ranging from school finals to the postgraduate levels. This continued almost for four decades, until the establishment of the Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, and the Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar.
- 1 History
- 2 Organisation
- 3 Faculties and departments
- 4 Traditional and distance education
- 5 Library and computer center
- 6 Notable faculty
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 Patna University Students Union
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Patna University was established in the year 1917 as an affiliating and examining body. On January 2, 1952 it was converted into a purely teaching -cum-residential University with the territorial jurisdiction over Metropolitan Patna. It is one of the oldest Universities in India. It is the first in Bihar, and seventh oldest University in the subcontinent. The University buildings are mostly located on the bank of River Ganges and in the Saidpur Campus.
The university is an affiliating institution and has its jurisdiction over metropolitan Patna. Ten colleges are affiliated into this university.
Faculties and departments
Patna University has thirty departments organised into eight faculties: science; humanities; commerce; social sciences; education; law; fine arts and medicine.
Faculty of Science
This faculty consists the departments of physics, chemistry, mathematics, botany, zoology, statistics and Geology.
Faculty of Humanities
This faculty consists the departments of English, Hindi, Bengla, Sanskrit, Maithili, Persian, Philosophy, Arbic and Urdu.
Faculty of Social Sciences
This faculty consists the departments of history, geography, psychology, ancient indian history and archaeology, economics, personal management and industrial relations, sociology, political science and public administration.
Faculties of Law, Education, Commerce, Fine Arts and Medicine
Each of this faculty comprises only one department namely, law, education, commerce, fine arts and BDS.
Traditional and distance education
The university and it's affiliated colleges and institutions offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in different areas like law, teacher training, science, arts, commerce, medicine and engineering. Admission in these courses are mainly based on the result of higher secondary (10+2) and graduation (10+2+3) level results, respectively. The aspirants for research level programs have to sit for a qualifying test (RET) followed by an interview. Since 1974, the university also has a Directorate of Distance Education for conducting postgraduate studies in distance education.
Library and computer center
Patna University has a central library and computer center. Central Library has a collection of 4,00,000 volumes which includes textbooks, reference books etc, besides 87 periodicals and 50,000 back journals. It also has more than 5000 valuable old very rare manuscripts which is mostly used by research scholars. The Library is working to establish e-resource centre, e-journal facilities and to transform into Digital Library. The Library is open for 24 hours for students. Computer centre takes an important role for spreading the knowledge of computer education/ The University Computer Centre offers Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application (PGDCA) and P.G. Diploma in Bio-Informatics course.
- Ram Sharan Sharma, historian, also alumnus
- Kapil Muni Tiwary, linguist
- Hetukar Jha, sociologist, also alumnus
- Prof Hari Mohan Jha
- Papiya Ghosh, historian, also alumnus
- R. K. Sinha, scholar of English
- Ravindra Kumar Sinha, Environmentalist and Padma Shri recipient
- Nalin Vilochan Sharma, Critic,Poet,stroy writer And Editor Also alumnus
- Anugrah Narayan Sinha, nationalist & first Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar
- Bali Ram Bhagat, former speaker of Lok Sabha
- Balmiki Prasad Singh, scholar, Governor of Sikkim (2008–present)
- Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha, 6th Chief Justice of India
- Bindeshwar Pathak, founder of Sulabh International
- Birbal Jha, author, academician, social thinker and entrepreneur
- Devendra Prasad Gupta, Indian botanist and academician
- Dilip Sinha, Indian Diplomat and Ambassador
- Digvijay Singh (Bihar) Former Union Minister of India
- Gopal Prasad Sinha, neurologist, politician
- Indradeep Sinha, economist, writer and veteran communist leader
- Jayaprakash Narayan, a freedom fighter
- Krishna Sahi, Former Union Minister
- Shri Krishna Singh, first Chief Minister of Bihar
- Lalit Mohan Sharma, former Chief Justice of India
- Lalu Prasad Yadav, former Chief Minister of Bihar
- Lieutenant General Srinivas Kumar Sinha, former Vice Chief of Army Staff, Governor of Assam, Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Ambassador of India to Nepal
- Nitish Kumar, Chief Minister of Bihar
- Ram Dulari Sinha, Former Union Minister of state,former Kerala Governor and a Freedom Fighter
- Ram Karan Sharma, scholar of Sanskrit
- Ram Raj Pant, Founder of Nepal Law College and pioneering linguist of Nepali language
- Ravi Shankar Prasad, senior advocate, Supreme Court of India, Former Union Minister and National Spokesperson of Bharatiya Janata Party
- Rustum Roy, influential material scientist, Professor and Author
- Satinath Bhaduri, novelist
- Surur Hoda, Socialist Leader
- Sweta Singh, News anchor and Deputy Editor of Aaj Tak.
- Tejendra Khanna, Lieutenant Governor of Delhi
- Ranjit Sinha, Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation
- Vashishtha Narayan Singh, Mathematician
- Vikas Jha author and journalist
- Vijay Kumar Chaudhary, wrd minister of bihar
- Sudhanshu Shekhar Jha, condensed matter physicist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
Patna University Students Union
- President: Ashish Sinha
- Treasurer: Abhishek Gupta
- Vice-President: Anshuman
- Secretary: Anupriya
- General-Secretary: Anshu Kumari
Executive committee members and College Counsellor
- Ravi kumar, Faculty of science
- Ramesh kumar, Faculty of Humanities
- Vidyanand kumar, Faculty of commerce education and Law
- Ram Kumar Singh, Faculty of Social science
- Deep narayan, Patna training college
- Priyanka Sinha, Women's Training college
- Vijay kr yadav , Patna college
- Ritwik raj, Patna college
- Nikhil Chakrabarti, B.N College
- Amrikesh kumar, B.N College
- Anshuka Arya, Magadh Mahila College
- Pallavi, Magadh Mahila College
- Amrita Sinha, Patna women's college
- Nancy, Patna women's college
- Puja kumari, Vanijya Mahavidyalaya
- Himanshu kumar Yadav, Patna Law college
- kumar abhishek, Patna Science college
- Abhishek kumar, Patna Science College
- Rakesh kumar, College of Art and Craft
After a gap of 28 years Patna University Students Union Election was Announced by the Vice Chancellor Prof. Shambhu Nath Singh while celebrating the Birth Anniversary of Sir Ganesh Dutt in Wheeler senate House. Patna University faced Student Union Election last in 1984. Election was held on 11-Dec-2012 and the Result was announced on 12-12-2012.
Newly Elected Union Members took Oath administered by Dean Student Welfare, Prof. Karya Nand Paswan at Wheeler senate House, Patna University on 19-12-2012.
- Mishra, B. K. (17 November 2008). "Other Side Of The Coin". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- "Faculty Council for Post-Graduate Studies". Courses offered. Patna University. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "India's Ancient Past". Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- Jaiswal, Suvira (23 September 2011). "Secular historian". Frontline. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Tiwary, K. M. (Autumn 1978). "Tuneful Weeping: A Mode of Communication". Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies. 3 (3): 24–27. JSTOR 3346324.
- Srivastava, Amitabh (24 December 2010). "The new Bihari". India Today. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
says Hetukar Jha, former hod of Sociology, Patna University
- Chaudhary, Pranava K.; Jha, Abhay Mohan (3 December 2006). "Historian Papiya Ghosh murder shocks Patna". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- Sinha, Radha Krishna (2005). An Epitome of English Literature ; A Commemorative Volume in Honour of Dr. R.K. Sinha (A Festschrift). Srishti Publishers & Distributors. p. 18. ISBN 978-81-88575-58-9.
- "'Dolphin Man' from Bihar gets Padma Shri". Times of India. 26 January 2016. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "Kamat Research Database - Anugrah Narayan Sinha". kamat.com. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- "Former Speakers". http://speakerloksabha.nic.in/. Retrieved 27 April 2012. External link in
- "Welcome to the official website of Rajbhavan, Gangtok, Sikkim". rajbhavansikkim.gov.in. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "Bihar: About the Chief Minister". http://gov.bih.nic.in. Retrieved 28 August 2011. External link in
- "8th Lok Sabha Members Bioprofile". Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "Lt. Governor:Tejendra Khanna". Govt of National Territory of Delhi. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- chaudhary, vijay. "wrd minister". Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "PUSU_2012". Retrieved 12 Dec 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patna University.|