Vietnam's Next Top Model
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (December 2013)|
|Vietnam's Next Top Model|
|Created by||Tyra Banks|
|Presented by||Vũ Anh Tuấn (live finale: 2010-2014)
Tùng Leo (live finale: 2015-present)
|Judges||Nathan Lee (Presumed head judge: 2010-1st)
Elizabeth Thủy Tiên (2010-1st)
Hoàng Ngân (2010-1st)
Vũ Nguyễn Hà Anh (Head judge: 2010-2nd)
Vũ Đức Hải (2010-2nd)
Huy Võ (2010-2nd)
Nguyễn Xuân Lan (Head judge: 2011-2012, 2014-present)
Phạm Hoài Nam (2011-2012)
Đinh Nam Trung (2011-present)
Đỗ Mạnh Cường (2011-2014)
Adam Williams (2014-present)
Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng (Head judge: 2013-2014)
|Theme music composer||David Thomas - Les Pierce|
|Country of origin||Vietnam|
|Original language(s)||Vietnamese & English|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||45 as of 25 November 2012[update]|
|Executive producer(s)||Lê Thị Quỳnh Trang
Nguyễn Văn Dần
Ryan Hoàng Hubris
|Producer(s)||Hoa Thanh Tùng|
|Location(s)||Ho Chi Minh City|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Multimedia JSC
|Distributor||Multimedia JSC (domestically)
CBS Television Distribution(internationally)
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)
720p (16:9 HDTV)
|Original run||September 30, 2010 – present|
Vietnam’s Next Top Model (Người mẫu Việt Nam or VNTM) is a Vietnamese reality television show in which a number of female contestants compete for the title of "Vietnam's Next Top Model." Contestants have the opportunity to launch a career in the modeling industry. Only one winner receives the grand prize, including cash and a feature spread in a fashion magazine.
The competition follows a group of girls between the ages of 18 and 25. They live together in a house for several months while taking on a set of challenges, posing for photographs and meeting famous people from the modeling industry. Normally, a competitor who fails to perform will be eliminated each week until there is only one left. The winner will be crowned "Vietnam's Next Top Model" and receive a modeling contract for representation and other additional prizes.
The first season of Vietnam's Next Top Model had 16 episodes and started with 15 contestants. The second season featured even more competitors within 17 episodes. In each episode one contestant is eliminated, though in rare cases, a multiple elimination can occur by consensus of the judging panel. Makeovers are administered to contestants early in the season.
The first cycle was overseen by two panels of judges. The first one included male model Nathan Lee, who was set to host the whole season together with international female model Elizabeth Thủy Tiên and fashion designer Hoàng Ngân. They were however removed and replaced by Hà Anh, Huy Võ, and Đức Hải immediately after the casting process.
During press reports for cycle two, the judging panel was renewed and increased in number by including more influential people in the Vietnamese fashion industry. Six former judging members (from two panels) did not return and were replaced by a new panel. They included make-up artist Nam Trung, fashion designer Đỗ Mạnh Cường, and fashion photographer Phạm Hoài Nam. Former model Xuân Lan took the host position and head judge over Hà Anh. Xuân Lan remained the host of the show for later cycles with the exception of Cycle 4 when she was pregnant; Thanh Hằng was the host for that cycle. After hosting Cycle 1, Hà Anh returned to the judging panel as the host and head judge.
Cycle 2 judge of Asia's Next Top Model Adam Williams has become a recurring guest judge since cycle 4 and became a permanent judge since Cycle 5. In cycle 5, Đỗ Mạnh Cường departed from the show and was replaced by Samuel Hoàng.
|Elizabeth Thủy Tiên||♦|
|Nguyễn Hoàng Ngân||♦|
|Vũ Nguyễn Hà Anh||♦|
|Vũ Đức Hải||♦|
|Nguyễn Xuân Lan||♦||♦||♦|
|Phạm Hoài Nam||♦||♦|
|Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng||♦|
|Đinh Nam Trung||♦||♦||♦||♦|
|Đỗ Mạnh Cường||♦||♦||♦|
Contestants auditioning must be between 18 and 25 years of age. Starting from cycle 2, girls must be at least 5'7" tall, a higher standard than the previous ones. Starting from cycle 4, men are able to compete in the show. They must be at least 5'9" tall in order to qualify.
|Cycle||Premiere date||Winner||Runner(s)-up||Other contestants in order of elimination||Number of contestants||Destination(s)|
|1||September 30, 2010||Khiếu Thị Huyền Trang||Nguyễn Thị Tuyết Lan||Lại Thị Thanh Hương, Trần Lê Hoài Thương, Bùi Thị Thu Thùy, Nguyễn Thanh Hằng, Bùi Thị Hoàng Oanh, Nguyễn Diệp Anh, Hồ Mỹ Phương, Phạm Thị Hương, Nguyễn Giáng Hương, Đàm Thu Trang, Trần Thị Thu Hiền, Đỗ Thị Thanh Hoa, Nguyễn Thu Thủy||15||
|2||September 25, 2011||Hoàng Thị Thùy||Nguyễn Thị Trà My||Lưu Khánh Linh, Kikki Le, Huỳnh Thị Kim Tuyền, Dương Thị Dung, Phan Ngọc Phương Nghi & Nguyễn Thị Hoàng Oanh, Nguyễn Thùy Dương, Lê Thị Phương & Trần Thanh Thủy, Nguyễn Thị Tuyết, Nguyễn Thị Phương Anh, Nguyễn Thị Thùy Trang, Lê Thị Thúy||15||
Buôn Ma Thuột
|3||August 19, 2012||Mai Thị Giang||Kha Mỹ Vân||Nguyễn Thi Châm, Nguyễn Thi Hằng, Lương Thị Kim Loan, Lê Thị Hằng, Cao Thi Hà, Lê Thanh Thảo, Đỗ Thu Hà, Vũ Thị Minh Nguyệt, Nguyễn Thị Ngân, Dương Thị Thanh, Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Thúy, Nguyễn Thị Nhã Trúc, Cao Thị Thiên Trang||15||
|4||October 6, 2013||Mâu Thị Thanh Thủy||Vũ Tuấn Việt||Nguyễn Quốc Minh Tòng, Lê Uyên Phương Thảo, Đỗ Thị Kim Ngân, Ngô Thị Quỳnh Mai, Tạ Thúc Bình, Phan Thị Thùy Linh, Phạm Thị Kim Thoa, Trần Mạnh Kiên, Nguyễn Trần Trung, Đinh Hà Thu, Nguyễn Thị Thanh, Trần Quang Đại, Dương Mạc Anh Quân, Nguyễn Thị Hằng, Lê Văn Kiên, Nguyễn Thị Chà Mi||18||
|5||November 1, 2014||Nguyễn Thị Oanh ♀||Cao Thị Ngân, Phạm Duy Anh & Tiêu Ngọc Linh||Nguyễn Văn Thắng, Hồ Văn Nam, Nguyễn Thị Thanh Tuyền, Lê Đức Anh, Lê Thị Kim Dung, Trần Yến Nhi, Phạm Công Toàn, Chế Nguyễn Quỳnh Châu, Lê Đăng Khánh, Phạm Tấn Khang, Đặng Văn Hội||16||
Rome & Milan
|Tạ Quang Hùng ♂|
|6||August 15, 2015||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
Criticism and controversies
A new set of judges was quickly introduced to replace the previous panel with the head judge being supermodel Hà Anh; other judges included designer Huy Võ and model/actor Đức Hải. Đức Hải had only gained fame by appearing in made-for-television films rather than a model career while Huy Võ was new to the fashion industry, he was reportedly only a student at Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising at the time of filming.
- Unsecured info
Despite having signed non-disclosure agreement a contract to keep the outcome from being leaked, a few contestants were seen on different TV shows prior to their elimination, suggesting they had been eliminated.
The live photoshoot during the finale was reportedly staged when a few odd differences were pointed out by the media.
Head judge Xuân Lan, Nam Trung, Phạm Hoài Nam and Đỗ Mạnh Cường were chosen for the new panel for cycle 2. Some critics have complained that this panel, although boasts loads of fashion industry expertise in Vietnam, had no international experience.
Responding to questions regarding the qualifications of a top model from VTC News, Ms. Thúy Nga, Director of Elite Vietnam, stated that the body shape of most finalists were rough and not proportioned. She did emphasize 'being a Top Model for 3 months is unbelievable' and thought the competition was merely a game show for entertainment.
During filming of the finalists; Hoàng Oanh, Thùy Dương and Phương Nghi faced a lawsuit from producers for leaking the elimination order prior to the final episode. The lawsuit claimed that they would have to pay about $714.000 (15 billion VND) due to contract violation.
Post - Cycle 2 controversies
Around New York Fashion Week (NYFW F/W 2012), in which Huyền Trang (cycle 1 winner), Tuyết Lan (cycle 1 runner-up) and Hoàng Thùy (cycle 2 winner) participated, Tuyết Lan was named cycle 1 winner over actual winner Huyền Trang in an e-mail, leading to a controversy on whether Huyền Trang was dethroned so that Tuyết Lan took all the advantages. Executive producer of the show Quỳnh Trang claimed it to be a typing mistake and Huyền Trang was still the first ever winner. When asked about New York Fashion Week in an interview, former host Hà Anh shared some of her real modelling experience, also revealed that Hoang Thuy and Tuyet Lan might not be walking at the actual New York Fashion Week (Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week), based on the invitation letter. This upset producer Quỳnh Trang and fellow judge Đỗ Mạnh Cường, leading to tension and anger towards Hà Anh. Hà Anh then accused the executive producer of rigging the show and treating Huyền Trang unfairly. She also revealed that Quỳnh Trang might have misled the audience in Vietnam and that neither Lan nor Thùy walked at New York Fashion Week. Huyền Trang later confirmed she did not receive her 1 billion VND modelling contract, a trip to New York for training nor a contract with Revlon cosmetics 200 million dong of worth. Trang even declared to break her relationship with the show. Responding via the show's official Facebook page, the show found Huyền Trang and they were misunderstanding each other and stated that Trang breached her contracts.
In an unprecedented move, Vietnam's Next Top Model crowned 2 winners namely Quang Hùng and Nguyễn Oanh in the finale night. This outcome was met with negative reception from the public as the audience felt it was unnecessary and Oanh's victory was undeserving. Xuân Lan later responded to the press, stating that Oanh was a rightful winner. She also revealed that the producers had received approval from the format distributor to have two winners. Host of the finale, Tùng Leo explained that due to bad lighting condition of the finale venue, resulting in photos' quality not as good as in studio that the photos from the live photoshoot were never shown.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model chính thức tuyển chọn", Dân Trí, by: Phan Lê, date: 2010-08-15.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model 'thay máu' toàn bộ Ban giám khảo",bee.com.vn, by: Tâm Long, date: 2010-10-08.
- "Chuyện như đùa ở cuộc thi người mẫu", Thanh Niên, by: Đỗ Tuấn & Nguyên Vân, date: 2010-10-13.
- "Những vụ kiện 'hot' nhất làng giải trí Việt 2010", laodong.com.vn, by: Chí Anh, date: 2010-11-06.
- "Thay BGK Vietnam's Next Top Model vì bất đồng với nhà sản xuất", Bưu điện Việt Nam via Zing, by: Quỳnh Anh, date: 2010-10-08.
- "Thất vọng với Vietnam's Next Top Model", Người lao động, by: Thùy Trang, date: 2010-10-17.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model lấy kịch bản của Germany's Next Top Model?", Dân Trí, by: NP, date: 2011-30-01.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model: mới chỉ là 'next top'...", Đất Việt, by: Võ Hà, date: 2011-01-25.
- "What's new for Vietnam's Next Top Model", English Edition of Thanh Nien Online, by: Kim, date: 2011-08-19.
- "Người mẫu có... xấu như Vietnam’s Next Top Model?", VTC News, by: Chu Ngũ Hương, date: 2011-11-17.
- "Hoàng Oanh có thể bị Next Top Model kiện đòi 5 tỷ đồng", ngoisao.net, by: Quân Ngọc, date: 2011-11-26.
- "Final outcome of Vietnam’s Next Top Model 2011 leaked out?",Vietnamnet, by: Thu Hằng, date: 2011-11-25.
- "Next Top Model to sue contestants for US$714,000", Tuoi Tre News, date: 2011-11-29.
- "Hoàng Thùy và Tuyết Lan tại New York Fashion Week", 2sao.vn, by: Huy Minh, date: 2012-02-16.
- "Huyền Trang tiếp tục xuất hiện trên Vogue & Harper's Bazaar online", kenh14.vn, date: 2012-02-17.
- "Extrapolating controversies rock Top Model", Thanh Nien, date: 2010-03-02.
- "Vietnam’s Next top model: Kết thúc nhưng vẫn nóng vì scandal", An ninh thủ đô, by: Hà Anh, date: 2012-02-18.
- "'Hoán đổi ngôi vị' VNTM: Huyền Trang chính thức lên tiếng", kenh14.vn, date: 2012-02-18.
- "Không có nhầm lẫn gì về ngôi vị Next Top Model", Vietnam+, by: Xuân Mai, date: 2012-02-26.
- "Hà Anh declared fire". 2012-02-23.
- "Tranh cãi Hà Anh-Giám đốc Next Top: Lộ thông tin độc", Phụ nữ today, by: Bánh Bao, date: 2012-02-24.
- "Hà Anh - Đỗ Mạnh Cường và văn hóa ứng xử của 'Sao'", VTC News, by: Bích Ngọc, date: 2012-02-25.
- "Mẹ Hà Anh bức xúc vì con gái bị vu oan", vietnamnet.vn, by: C.G, date: 2012-02-24.
- "Đỗ Mạnh Cường bỏ lửa vào tay Hà Anh trên facebook?", Phụ nữ today, by: Bánh Bao, date: 2012-02-26.
- "Hà Anh phản pháo lại lời 'quy kết' của BTC Next Top Model", ngoisao.net, by: Quỳnh Như, date: 2012-02-25.
- "Hoàng Thùy, Tuyết Lan và dối trá mang tên show quốc tế", VTC News, by: An Yên, date: 2012-02-20.
- "Huyen Trang unveiled". 2012-02-29.
- "To Huyền Trang – Vietnam’s Next Top Model 2010 winner". 2012-03-01.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model 2014 gây tranh cãi khi có hai quán quân". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Xuân Lan: "Chúng tôi đã xin phép bản gốc để trao 2 Quán quân!"". kenh14.vn. Kênh 14. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vietnam's Next Top Model.|