Vietnam's Next Top Model
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Vietnam's Next Top Model|
|Created by||Tyra Banks|
|Presented by||Vũ Anh Tuấn (live finale: Season 1-4)
Tùng Leo (live finale: Season 5-7)
|Judges||Nathan Lee (Presumed head judge: Season 1-1st)
Elizabeth Thủy Tiên (Season 1-1st)
Hoàng Ngân (Season 1-1st)
Vũ Nguyễn Hà Anh (Head judge: Season 1-2nd)
Vũ Đức Hải (Season 1-2nd)
Huy Võ (Season 1-2nd)
Nguyễn Xuân Lan (Head judge: Season 2-3, 5)
Phạm Hoài Nam (Season 2-3)
Đinh Nam Trung (Season 2-5, 8)
Đỗ Mạnh Cường (Season 2-4)
Adam Williams (Season 4-5)
Hương Color (Season 5)
Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng (Head judge: Season 4, 6-7)
Adrian Anh Tuấn (Season 6)
Samuel Hoàng (Season 6-7)
Lý Quí Khánh (Season 7)
Hà Đỗ (Season 7)
Trương Ngọc Ánh (Head judge: Season 8)
Võ Hoàng Yến (Season 8)
|Theme music composer||David Thomas - Les Pierce|
|Country of origin||Vietnam|
|Original language(s)||Vietnamese, English|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||91 (by season 7)|
|Executive producer(s)||Lê Thị Quỳnh Trang|
|Producer(s)||Hoa Thanh Tùng|
|Location(s)||Ho Chi Minh City|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Multimedia JSC
|Distributor||Multimedia JSC (domestically)
CBS Television Distribution(internationally)
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)
720p (16:9 HDTV)
|Original release||September 30, 2010 – present|
Vietnam’s Next Top Model (Người mẫu Việt Nam, or VNTM) is a Vietnamese reality television show in which female contestants compete for the title of "Vietnam's Next Top Model." Contestants are given the opportunity to begin a career in the modeling industry, and the winner receives a cash prize and a feature article in a fashion magazine.
The competition follows a group of female contestants (including male contestants from season 4-7) at least 18 years old. They live together in a house for several months and compete in various challenges, such as posing for photographs. Many episodes feature contestants meeting well-known figures in the modeling industry. In each episode, one or more contestants are eliminated, although multiple eliminations occasionally occur by consensus of the panel of judges. The winner will be crowned "Vietnam's Next Top Model", receiving a modeling contract and other prizes.
Contestants must be between 18 and 25 years of age, and had to be Vietnamese citizens or foreigners of Vietnamese origin. Beginning in season four women had to be at least 5'7" (170 cm) tall and men at least 5'9" (175 cm) tall could compete. The contestants must not be managed exclusively by companies, agencies, or products and have no criminal record. In season seven, height and age requirements are removed.
The first cycle was overseen by two panels of judges. The first included model Nathan Lee, who was scheduled to host the season with international model Elizabeth Thủy Tiên and fashion designer Hoàng Ngân. They were replaced by Hà Anh, Huy Võ and Đức Hải immediately after they were cast.
During season two, the judging panel was renewed and increased with influential figures in the Vietnamese fashion industry. Six former judges (from two panels) were replaced by a new panel. They included makeup artist Nam Trung, fashion designer Đỗ Mạnh Cường and fashion photographer Phạm Hoài Nam. Former model Xuân Lan was the host and head judge, remaining the host of the show with the exception of season four when she was pregnant (Thanh Hằng hosted that season). After hosting season four, Thanh Hằng returned as head judge in season six. On June 4, 2017, former host of Project Runway Vietnam Trương Ngọc Ánh was announced to be the new host of the show, replacing Thanh Hằng from season eight
Asia's Next Top Model season-two judge Adam Williams has been a recurring guest judge since season four, and a permanent judge in season five. That season, Đỗ Mạnh Cường was replaced by Samuel Hoàng.
In Cycle 6 , former host Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng, who hosted Cycle 4 (the first guys-and-girls season of the show), returned to fulfill her position as head judge of the panel. Samuel Hoàng reprised his role as a judge after Cycle 5 concluded. Designer Adrian Anh Tuấn was also introduced as a new judge.
In Cycle 7, host Phạm Thị Thanh Hằng and Samuel Hoàng reprised their roles in the judging panel. Fashion designer Lý Quí Khánh and fashion stylist & Editor-in-Chief of Đẹp Magazine (where the word "Đẹp" is translated from Vietnamese, means beautiful) Hà Đỗ were introduced as new judges.
In Cycle 8, the entire panel of judges was replaced. The jury consisted of model-actress Trương Ngọc Ánh, make-up artist Nam Trung, and model Võ Hoàng Yến. Ngọc Ánh acted a the show's presenter, while Nam Trung served as the show's creative director and Hoàng Yến served as model mentor, respectively.
|Cycle||Premiere date||Winner||Runner(s)-up||Other contestants in order of elimination||Number of contestants||Destination(s)|
|1||30 September 2010||Khiếu Thị Huyền Trang||Nguyễn Thị Tuyết Lan||Lại Thanh Hương & Trần Lê Hoài Thương, Bùi Thị Thu Thùy, Nguyễn Thanh Hằng, Bùi Thị Hoàng Oanh, Nguyễn Diệp Anh, Hồ Mỹ Phương, Phạm Thị Hương, Nguyễn Giáng Hương, Đàm Thu Trang, Trần Thị Thu Hiền, Đỗ Thị Thanh Hoa, Nguyễn Thu Thủy||15||None|
|2||25 September 2011||Hoàng Thị Thùy||Nguyễn Thị Trà My||Lưu Khánh Linh, Kikki Le, Huỳnh Thị Kim Tuyền, Dương Thị Dung, Phan Ngọc Phương Nghi & Nguyễn Thị Hoàng Oanh, Nguyễn Thùy Dương, Lê Thị Phương & Trần Thanh Thủy, Nguyễn Thị Tuyết, Nguyễn Thị Phương Anh, Nguyễn Thị Thùy Trang, Lê Thị Thúy||15||
|3||19 August 2012||Mai Thị Giang||Kha Mỹ Vân||Nguyễn Thi Châm, Nguyễn Thi Hằng, Lương Thị Kim Loan, Lê Thị Hằng & Cao Thi Hà, Lê Thanh Thảo, Đỗ Thu Hà, Vũ Thị Minh Nguyệt, Nguyễn Thị Ngân & Dương Thị Thanh & Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Thúy & Nguyễn Thị Nhã Trúc, Cao Thị Thiên Trang||15||
|4||6 October 2013||Mâu Thị Thanh Thủy||Vũ Tuấn Việt||Nguyễn Quốc Minh Tòng & Lê Uyên Phương Thảo & Đỗ Thị Kim Ngân & Ngô Thị Quỳnh Mai, Tạ Thúc Bình & Phan Thị Thùy Linh, Phạm Thị Kim Thoa, Trần Mạnh Kiên, Nguyễn Trần Trung & Đinh Hà Thu, Nguyễn Thị Thanh, Trần Quang Đại, Dương Mạc Anh Quân & Nguyễn Thị Hằng, Lê Văn Kiên & Nguyễn Thị Chà Mi||18||
|5||1 November 2014||Nguyễn Thị Oanh||Cao Thị Ngân
Phạm Duy Anh
Tiêu Ngọc Linh
|Nguyễn Văn Thắng & Hồ Văn Năm, Nguyễn Thị Thanh Tuyền, Lê Đức Anh, Lê Thị Kim Dung, Trần Yến Nhi & Phạm Công Toàn, Chế Nguyễn Quỳnh Châu & Lê Đăng Khánh, Phạm Tấn Khang, Đặng Văn Hội||16||
Rome & Milan
|Tạ Quang Hùng|
|6||2 August 2015||Nguyễn Thị Hương Ly||Lương Thị Hồng Xuân
Nguyễn Thị Hợp
Võ Thành An
|Nguyễn Thành Quốc, Nguyễn Thị Kim Phương & Trần Hải Đăng, Hoàng Gia Anh Vũ, Hoàng Anh Tú, H' Hen Nie & Đào Thị Thu, Nguyễn Thị Hồng Vân, Đinh Đức Thành & K’ Brơi||14||
|7||17 July 2016||Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Châu||La Thanh Thanh
Nguyễn Huy Quang
|Phạm Gia Long & Nguyễn Thị Thuỳ Dung, Trương Bùi Hoài Nam & Nguyễn Duy Minh & Hà Thị Út Trang, Nguyễn Anh Thư, Hoàng Minh Tùng, Bùi Huy Dương & Nguyễn Thị Phương, Vũ Trần Kim Nhã, Trần Thị Thuỳ Trâm, Trịnh Thu Hường & Nguyễn Thiếu Lan, Nguyễn Minh Phong & Trần Thị Thùy Trang||18||
|8||24 June 2017||TBA||TBA||Nguyễn Thị Phương Oanh, Lương Thị Hồng Xuân, Nguyễn Hồng Anh & Trần Thị Thuỳ Trâm, Nguyễn Thị Hoàng Oanh, Lại Thị Thanh Hương, Kikki Lê
Still in the running:
The original panel of judges, including Nathan Lee, Elizabeth Thủy Tiên, and Hoàng Ngân, was fired because of conflicts among themselves and with the producers. A new panel was introduced; the head judge was model Hà Anh, and others included designer Huy Võ and actor-model Đức Hải. Đức Hải was primarily known for appearing in made-for-television films, and Huy Võ was reportedly a student at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising.
Despite signing non-disclosure agreements, several contestants appeared on other TV shows before their elimination (suggesting they had been eliminated). The first-season finale was reportedly taken from the fourth-season finale of Germany's Next Topmodel, and the finale's "live" photo shoot was reportedly staged.
Although head judge Xuân Lan, Nam Trung, Phạm Hoài Nam and Đỗ Mạnh Cường were chosen for their Vietnamese fashion-industry expertise, their lack of international experience was criticized. In response to questions from VTC News about qualifications for a top model, Elite Vietnam director Thúy Nga said that most finalists' body shapes were rough and disproportionate. She said, "Being a top model in three months is unbelievable" and considered the competition as primarily entertainment.
During filming, finalists Hoàng Oanh, Thùy Dương and Phương Nghi faced a lawsuit from producers for leaking the elimination order before the final episode. The lawsuit demanded 15 billion Vietnamese đồng (about US$714,000) for the contract violation. Around the New York Fashion Week (in which season-one winner Huyền Trang, season-one runner-up Tuyết Lan and season-two winner Hoàng Thùy participated), Tuyết Lan was named season-one winner over actual winner Huyền Trang in an email. According to executive producer Quỳnh Trang, it was a typographical error and Huyền Trang was the winner. Hà Anh said in an interview that based on their invitations, Hoang Thuy and Tuyet Lan might not walking at the New York Fashion Week. This caused antagonism between Quỳnh Trang and fellow judge Đỗ Mạnh Cường and Hà Anh. Hà Anh accused Quỳnh Trang of rigging the show and treating Huyền Trang unfairly, saying that the Vietnamese audience was misled and neither Lan nor Thùy walked at the New York Fashion Week. Huyền Trang later confirmed that she did not receive her billion-dong modelling contract, a trip to New York for training or a VND 200 million contract with Revlon cosmetics, declaring her intention to dissolve her relationship with the show. A post on the show's Facebook page called the situation a misunderstanding, saying that Trang was in breach of contract.
In its fifth season, Vietnam's Next Top Model crowned two winners: Quang Hùng and Nguyễn Oanh. Viewer reaction was negative, with the audience considering Oanh's victory undeserved. Xuân Lan later told the press that Oanh was a worthy winner, and the producers had received approval from the format distributor for two winners. According to finale host Tùng Leo, the photos from the live photo shoot were not shown because of the venue's poor lighting.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model 'thay máu' toàn bộ Ban giám khảo",bee.com.vn, by: Tâm Long, date: 2010-10-08.
- "Chuyện như đùa ở cuộc thi người mẫu", Thanh Niên, by: Đỗ Tuấn & Nguyên Vân, date: 2010-10-13.
- "Những vụ kiện 'hot' nhất làng giải trí Việt 2010", laodong.com.vn, by: Chí Anh, date: 2010-11-06.
- "Thay BGK Vietnam's Next Top Model vì bất đồng với nhà sản xuất", Bưu điện Việt Nam via Zing, by: Quỳnh Anh, date: 2010-10-08.
- "Thất vọng với Vietnam's Next Top Model", Người lao động, by: Thùy Trang, date: 2010-10-17.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model lấy kịch bản của Germany's Next Top Model?", Dân Trí, by: NP, date: 2011-30-01.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model: mới chỉ là 'next top'...", Đất Việt, by: Võ Hà, date: 2011-01-25.
- "What's new for Vietnam's Next Top Model", English Edition of Thanh Nien Online, by: Kim, date: 2011-08-19.
- "Người mẫu có... xấu như Vietnam’s Next Top Model?", VTC News, by: Chu Ngũ Hương, date: 2011-11-17.
- "Hoàng Oanh có thể bị Next Top Model kiện đòi 5 tỷ đồng", ngoisao.net, by: Quân Ngọc, date: 2011-11-26.
- "Final outcome of Vietnam’s Next Top Model 2011 leaked out?",Vietnamnet, by: Thu Hằng, date: 2011-11-25.
- "Next Top Model to sue contestants for US$714,000", Tuoi Tre News, date: 2011-11-29.
- "Hoàng Thùy và Tuyết Lan tại New York Fashion Week", 2sao.vn, by: Huy Minh, date: 2012-02-16.
- "Huyền Trang tiếp tục xuất hiện trên Vogue & Harper's Bazaar online", kenh14.vn, date: 2012-02-17.
- "Extrapolating controversies rock Top Model", Thanh Nien, date: 2010-03-02.
- "Vietnam’s Next top model: Kết thúc nhưng vẫn nóng vì scandal", An ninh thủ đô, by: Hà Anh, date: 2012-02-18.
- "'Hoán đổi ngôi vị' VNTM: Huyền Trang chính thức lên tiếng", kenh14.vn, date: 2012-02-18.
- "Không có nhầm lẫn gì về ngôi vị Next Top Model", Vietnam+, by: Xuân Mai, date: 2012-02-26.
- "Hà Anh declared fire". 2012-02-23.
- "Tranh cãi Hà Anh-Giám đốc Next Top: Lộ thông tin độc", Phụ nữ today, by: Bánh Bao, date: 2012-02-24.
- "Hà Anh - Đỗ Mạnh Cường và văn hóa ứng xử của 'Sao'", VTC News, by: Bích Ngọc, date: 2012-02-25.
- "Mẹ Hà Anh bức xúc vì con gái bị vu oan", vietnamnet.vn, by: C.G, date: 2012-02-24.
- "Đỗ Mạnh Cường bỏ lửa vào tay Hà Anh trên facebook?", Phụ nữ today, by: Bánh Bao, date: 2012-02-26.
- "Hà Anh phản pháo lại lời 'quy kết' của BTC Next Top Model", ngoisao.net, by: Quỳnh Như, date: 2012-02-25.
- "Hoàng Thùy, Tuyết Lan và dối trá mang tên show quốc tế", VTC News, by: An Yên, date: 2012-02-20.
- "Huyen Trang unveiled". 2012-02-29.
- "To Huyền Trang – Vietnam’s Next Top Model 2010 winner". 2012-03-01.
- "Vietnam's Next Top Model 2014 gây tranh cãi khi có hai quán quân". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Xuân Lan: "Chúng tôi đã xin phép bản gốc để trao 2 Quán quân!"". kenh14.vn. Kênh 14. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vietnam's Next Top Model.|