Vizianagaram Junction railway station
|Indian Railway Junction Station|
Vizianagaram railway station
|Location||Vizianagaram, Andhra Pradesh
|Elevation||74 m (243 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Line(s)||Khurda Road-Visakhapatnam section of Howrah-Chennai main line and Jharsuguda-Vizianagaram line|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||East Coast Railway|
|Previous names||Bengal Nagpur Railway|
Between 1893 and 1896, 1,288 km (800 mi) of the East Coast State Railway was opened for traffic. In 1898-99, Bengal Nagpur Railway was linked to the lines in southern India. It was during this period that Vizianagaram station came up.
The 79 km (49 mi) Vizianagaram-Parvatipuram line was opened in 1908-09.
The Palasa-Tilaru, Srikakulam Road-Chiprupalle and Chirupalle-Alamanda sectors were electrified in 1998-99. The Srikakulam Road-Tiralu sector was electrified in 1999-2000.
Vizianagaram Junction railway station is classified as an A–category station in the Waltair railway division.
The Bengal Nagpur Railway was nationalized in 1944.Eastern Railway was formed on 14 April 1952 with the portion of East Indian Railway Company east of Mughalsarai and the Bengal Nagpur Railway. In 1955, South Eastern Railway was carved out of Eastern Railway. It comprised lines mostly operated by BNR earlier. Amongst the new zones started in April 2003 were East Coast Railway and South East Central Railway. Both these railways were carved out of South Eastern Railway.
- "Station Code Index" (PDF). Portal of Indian Railways. p. 2. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Major Events in the Formation of S.E. Railway". South Eastern Railway. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Statement showing category-wise No.of stations" (PDF). South Central Railway. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "IR History: Part - III (1900 - 1947)". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Geography – Railway Zones". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "IR History: Part - IV (1947 - 1970)". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vizianagaram Junction railway station.|
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|East Coast Railway zone|
|Terminus||East Coast Railway zone|