White Tiger (Ava Ayala)
|First appearance||Avengers Academy #20 (Dec 2011)|
|Created by||Christos Gage|
|Alter ego||Ava Ayala|
|Team affiliations||Avengers Academy|
Daughters of Liberty
Heroes for Hire
|Abilities||Superhuman martial arts skills and slightly superhuman physical attributes via mystical amulets|
Razor sharp claws
White Tiger (Ava Ayala) is a fictional superheroine appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character was created by Christos Gage and Tom Raney, first appearing in Avengers Academy #20 (December 2011). The fifth character to assume the White Tiger mantle, she is the younger sister of Hector Ayala as well as the aunt of Angela del Toro.
Ava Ayala first appeared in Avengers Academy #20 (December 2011) and was created by Christos Gage. She appeared as a regular character in the series through its final issue, #39 (January 2013). She appeared as a main character in Mighty Avengers starting with issue #1 (September 2013), and then in New Avengers starting with issue #1 (December 2015).
Fictional character biography
Ava, the fifth White Tiger, is the sister of Hector Ayala and a student enrolled in the Avengers Academy. She inherited the White Tiger amulet from her brother following his death the death of his family members at the hands of Gideon Mace. Upon her introduction, Ava states the White Tiger is a family legacy that she intends to honor. She also criticizes classmate Reptil for not being more active in the Hispanic community. She has been living with her sister Awilda's family since the death of her parents.
During the Infinity storyline, White Tiger was seen with Heroes for Hire when they were seen preventing Plunderer's men from stealing robot parts. When the Superior Spider-Man (Doctor Octopus' mind in Spider-Man's body) stops Plunderer and considers the Heroes for Hire team as mercenaries, White Tiger ends up quitting the team. She later joined up with the Mighty Avengers.
During the Inhumanity storyline, White Tiger bonded with Power Man where they discovered that they can combine their abilities to form a White Tiger Chi. This combination was enough to destroy Shuma-Gorath. White Tiger later repaid Power Man by transferring some of her chi into him. This combination event took out Cerberus where Power Man and White Tiger called it their "New York Tiger-Style Kung Fu." Power Man helped White Tiger when she tried to avenge her parents by killing Gideon Mace. The rest of the Mighty Avengers showed up to prevent White Tiger from crossing the line.
During the "Last Days" part of the Secret Wars storyline, White Tiger goes to reconcile with her surviving family members. They are mad that White Tiger has chosen a life that has led to so much death and threaten to kill her if she does not leave.
Ava Ayala later fought with her niece Angela del Toro where the fight had Ava's amulet suddenly going over to Angela. During the New Revengers' attack on the New Avengers at Avengers Base Two, Ava fought Angela again. As the two White Tigers fought, Ava managed to snatch the White Tiger amulets that Maker gave to Angela and destroys them enough to free Angela from the controls of the White Tigers and the Hand.
Powers and abilities
Ava Ayala wears the mystical tiger amulets formerly worn by her father. When wearing them, her physical strength, speed, stamina, agility, dexterity, reflexes and reactions, coordination, balance, and endurance are enhanced to slightly superhuman levels. She also has razor sharp claws and superhuman martial arts skills.
Marvel Universe vs. The Avengers
In the limited series, Marvel Universe vs. The Avengers, Ava Ayala was this version's White Tiger and was one of the remaining four survivors of the Avengers Academy, along with Mettle, Veil, and Striker. While each of them are infected, Ava, along with the remaining Avengers and students wear a Doomstone collar that prevents the virus from taking hold of them fully, while discussing Doctor Doom's motives. After it was revealed that the Doomstones allows the wearer to maintain their humanity while still remain as cannibals, Doom activates the Doomstone, turning it red and allowing the virus to take over. Ava was among those killed while in a fight with the infected Red Hulk and the remaining infected students.
In other media
- The Ava Ayala version of White Tiger appears in the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, voiced by Caitlyn Taylor Love. She is seen on the same team as Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Power Man and Nova. Paul Dini, the show's creative consultant stated, "We wanted a young female voice on the team and while she is new, White Tiger proved to be the perfect choice. She's tough and smart, and her cat-like reflexes allow her to match Spider-Man leap for leap in agility. It's important to her that she excels at everything she does, as she plans on leaving the team someday as a full super heroine in her own right". In season two's "Kraven the Hunter", it's revealed that Ava's father was the previous White Tiger rather than her brother until being killed in a fight with Kraven the Hunter just like her grandfather before. Eventually, Kraven came after Ava (the current keeper of the amulet). Unlike Ava, the amulet's raw feral power proved too much for Kraven to keep under control and induces a harrowing transformation into a humanoid white tiger. Upon Ava reclaiming her amulet, Kraven was defeated by Spider-Man and Ava. In season three's "Cloak and Dagger", White Tiger is one of the heroes controlled by Dormammu to invade Earth. After being free of Dormammu mind control, Ava gets a new costume which has more stripes on it. In season four's "Graduation Day" [Pt. 1 and Pt. 2], she, Iron Fist, Nova and Power Man are with Spider-Man for the last time to find Doctor Octopus and protect May Parker, and fight the Scorpion and Crossbones and defeat the two. She is then trapped with the others in Doc Ock's contracting shield in the Triskelion and is released by Spider-Man in the end.
- White Tiger appears as a sidekick character in Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes and Disney Infinity 3.0, voiced by Courtnee Draper.
- White Tiger appears in several cards in the mobile card game Marvel: War of Heroes.
- White Tiger is a playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers, voiced again by Caitlyn Taylor Love. She is found in the hub of South Africa, where she requests player's help on finding her Amulet, which was stolen by mercenaries.
- White Tiger is a playable character in Marvel Future Fight.
- White Tiger is the last co-buyable Hero introduced in Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- White Tiger is a playable character in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, voiced by Skye Bennett. She now has a prominent role in the game's main story (as shown in the trailers where she is hanging with Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel).
- Avengers Academy #21 (November 2011)
- Avengers Academy #24 (January 2012)
- Avengers Academy #23
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #1
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #4.INH
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #3
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #5.INH
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #6
- Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 #7
- Captain America and the Avengers #8
- New Avengers Vol. 4 #1
- New Avengers Vol. 4 #7
- New Avengers Vol. 4 #14
- New Avengers Vol. 4 #15
- Marvel Universe vs The Avengers #03 (February 2013)
- Marvel Universe vs The Avengers #04 (March 2013)
- "GWENPOOL CRASHES INTO 'MARVEL FUTURE FIGHT'". Justin Snyder, marvel.com. August 17, 2016. Archived from the original on August 18, 2016. Retrieved August 20, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter